Need New Glasses !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Well my free vision plan and glasses ended when I retired six years ago and I have been recently checking out frames and glasses and needless to say, suffering from some sticker shock.

Unfortunately I sat on my regular pair and they are beyond repair, don't ask my how I did this.

Where does everyone get their glasses at these days ?

Check out Zenni optical, if you're not in a hurry. They will send your prescription to China to have the glasses made, and they appear in your mailbox. Many here (including me) have been very satisfied with the price and quality.

I got a very nice pair of eyeglasses at BJs for $165, which I thought was reasonable (given the same pair at LensCrafters would've been ~ $400). I never heard of insurance where you get glasses for free. I buy vision insurance that basically pro-rates the cost of an exam over a year, and allows $130 for glasses or contacts (but not both).

Amethyst

My most recent purchase of glasses was at Lenscrafters before I retired, so I paid through the nose. I wear trifocals. I am very picky about style since I have to look at them every day, and love to try on zillions of pairs at Lenscrafters; otherwise I would buy mail order glasses.

In 2011 I started thinking I needed new glasses because I couldn't see very well any more. So, I got out my old glasses, which I keep as spares. I found out that a pair I wore around 2005 or so are just perfect for me now. I'm not sure why! But I am wearing them now.

I've had the same four frames for about 20 years, and since I'm blind in one eye, it's usually pretty cheap to get a new lens. IOW, a good sturdy sit-proof frame may be worth the money.

Before we entered FIRE, the DW and I had our eyes checked and new glasses made, all covered. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of cleaning my glasses, on the fly, with my shirt tail. Big mistake! The coatings became scratched. The more I cleaned, the worse they got. I went to Walmart. They did an eye exam, new prescription (The Illinois prescription was only good for one year. Unlike SC which is good for three.), and new frames and lenses for $140. I can see again, and I will never use anything but a lens cloth, and fluid.

I purchased my last glasses here because of a recommendation in a previous thread on this board. Actually I have purchased two pairs of regular glasses and one pair of safety glasses. I took a pair to my ophthalmologist and he said the glasses were correct per his prescription. I like safety glasses and would wear them all the time, but you can't get transitions in safety glasses.

You CAN get a pair of single prescription glasses for $39, but I prefer progressive, transitions lenses and that drives the cost up substantially.

Discount Prescription Eyeglasses and Sunglasses - 39DollarGlasses.com

I purchased my last glasses here because of a recommendation in a previous thread on this board. Actually I have purchased two pairs of regular glasses and one pair of safety glasses. I took a pair to my ophthalmologist and he said the glasses were correct per his prescription. I like safety glasses and would wear them all the time, but you can't get transitions in safety glasses.

You CAN get a pair of single prescription glasses for $39, but I prefer progressive, transitions lenses and that drives the cost up substantially.

Discount Prescription Eyeglasses and Sunglasses - 39DollarGlasses.com

I had very good luck with 39DollarGlasses.com for single focal-length glasses, & prescription polarized sunglasses. My experience with progressive glasses was not good - they tried 3 times & they still did not come out right - even after going to a local optician to double check the input I gave them.

Now I use costco for progressive glasses with good results.

I'm going to give Costco a try. They seem to have a pretty good selection, and as usual, good prices.

I got my last pair (reserve) from Walmart. Full new frame (very comfortable) and transition glasses (Nikon, high index, anti glare coating, scratch resistant, shatter resistant, anti uv). I think I paid around 250-260 for it. I stopped paying VSP a long time ago, because I found the price being charged after VSP insurance kicks in no longer makes any sense.

I got my glasses from 39dollarglasses.com - they cost about 1/10 of what I paid for glasses last time at Pearle Vision. They're progressive bifocals and I have no problems with them.

This was the 1st time I've ordered glasses online. I was a bit unsure if this was a good idea, but the cost was so low compared to traditional stores, I figured it was worth the chance. Now I'm a completely satisfied customer.

If you look into this, you'll find that every major eyeglass store is owned by the same company. It's a monopoly so they can charge a huge markup on their products. Here's an article on this:
How to Buy Prescription Eyeglasses & Save up to 90%
The parent company is Luxottica, and besides owning every eyeglass shop like Pearle Vision, Lenscrafters, Sears Optical, etc, they also make nearly every brand of prescription frame and designer frame. Makes ya wonder... More info here:
Luxottica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had very good luck with 39DollarGlasses.com for single focal-length glasses, & prescription polarized sunglasses. My experience with progressive glasses was not good - they tried 3 times & they still did not come out right - even after going to a local optician to double check the input I gave them.

Now I use costco for progressive glasses with good results.

I have bought many pairs online. The prices are at least 80% less than lenscrafters or such. That said, you need to know your prescription and measurements.

Because I need glasses once again after a few years without, yesterday I went to lenscrafters for an eye exam and new prescription (2) and ordered one pair each of distance and computer. The absolute least expensive single vision option for each was $225. (ripoff) and the pressure for upsell was tremendous (but I do have to recognize their technique is excellent). I will pay that because in the past I have needed to go back for adjustments and remeasurement at least once and that is included in the cost. Once I am fine with them, however, I will get new glasses with better frames and lenses online at a much lower price, and use these as backup. I have used glasses4less but the other online shops recommended here are just as good IMHO.

I had good results with Zenni Optical. I got a spare pair too. For my son who regularly damaged glasses playing sports, they were very reasonable and we could buy in bulk for the cost of a regular pair from the ophthalmologists' boutique.

I have a couple of pairs with titanium frames and varilux lenses that I keep as backups. My everyday pair has glass bifocals with Titmus cable temples. After years of wearing lightweight eyeglasses, I had difficulty reacclimating to heavy glass but finally managed to do so. I've been able to stay with the same prescription for about 15 years but am more dependent on good lighting than I used to be.

I got my last pair (reserve) from Walmart. Full new frame (very comfortable) and transition glasses (Nikon, high index, anti glare coating, scratch resistant, shatter resistant, anti uv). I think I paid around 250-260 for it. I stopped paying VSP a long time ago, because I found the price being charged after VSP insurance kicks in no longer makes any sense.
+1 I thought about using VSP when my plan dropped vision coverage. After talllying up the costs and what VSP would pay I would have saved $100. Not enough to justify the premium.

--Rita

So how does one best approach this? I have progressive lenses, so I'm a little concerned regarding some people's experiences with those. I know that my optometrist's assistant is very detailed about getting just the right fit and measurement of my pupils.

Here's what I'm thinking -

1) Get an up-to-date prescription, exam, and order my frames/lenses as usual.

2) Ask for a separate prescription for reading, computer distance, and driving.

3) Order one or more of the separate glasses on-line.

4) If they seem good (I expect they will), take a chance on the progressive pair.

This might provide some advantages. For one, I'll have some backups. The separate functions could work better for some things than the progressives (esp computer distance).

The biggest savings could be, I usually find my frames are still fine at the time I need a prescription change, but my optometrist can't seem to just order lenses to fit my old frames. They say I have to give up the frames and have them sent out for fitting (can't frames be made in standard sizes?). So, even if the on-line progressives aren't great, I could use them while my old frames get re-fitted. That would probably save big bucks for me.

Or maybe for step one, just go to Costco for the prescriptions only, and try on-line steps from there? I've been tempted to get computer-distance glasses anyhow. My current progressives are close enough for me now, so I could get frames on-line and be ready if I do need to go to my optometrist (or Costco) and give them up for fitting with new progressive lenses when the time comes.

-ERD50

I'm going to give Costco a try. They seem to have a pretty good selection, and as usual, good prices.

Just bought my son glasses at Costco and they were less than half of the price of any other optical shop in our metro area. No hassle, no upsell, frankly I couldn't believe how cheap and easy to do business with compared to anyone else.

Usually, I don't believe Costco is really that much cheaper than other unless you buy in bulk........this time I was shocked at how much money we saved.....it paid for our Costco membership for the year.

I saw a JC Penney ad today with thier new pricing says March $99 complete frame and lens and I think you could get no line bifocal for zero extra.
Worth a look.

Glad to hear that others are using Costco, as I am about to use them for updating my prescription sunglasses. Our regular optician is so expensive.

Did you also get your exam there? I assume they are as thorough as they need to be.

Costco had a $30 off coupon on a pair of prescription glasses last month. I got a nice pair of frames with progressive lenses with the works (anti-glare, anti-scratch, Transitions, etc) for $209 including tax. I purchased my last pair of glasses (which was my first pair) from the opthamologist's in-house optical shop and they cost me $500.

DH got "the works" installed into existing frames for $195, $180 for lenses and $15 for the installation.

I tried contacts for the first time so I had the more expensive exam (at Costco), $145, which included the contact fitting with follow-up and dilation. The eye doc was great. She kept working with me to get just the right type and strength of contact for monovision.

I had another follow-up appointment today to double-check the prescription in my glasses. The Coscto optical shop will remake the lenses for free if my prescription has to be changed.

So how does one best approach this? I have progressive lenses, so I'm a little concerned regarding some people's experiences with those. I know that my optometrist's assistant is very detailed about getting just the right fit and measurement of my pupils.

Here's what I'm thinking -

1) Get an up-to-date prescription, exam, and order my frames/lenses as usual.

2) Ask for a separate prescription for reading, computer distance, and driving.

3) Order one or more of the separate glasses on-line.

4) If they seem good (I expect they will), take a chance on the progressive pair.

This might provide some advantages. For one, I'll have some backups. The separate functions could work better for some things than the progressives (esp computer distance).

The biggest savings could be, I usually find my frames are still fine at the time I need a prescription change, but my optometrist can't seem to just order lenses to fit my old frames. They say I have to give up the frames and have them sent out for fitting (can't frames be made in standard sizes?). So, even if the on-line progressives aren't great, I could use them while my old frames get re-fitted. That would probably save big bucks for me.

Or maybe for step one, just go to Costco for the prescriptions only, and try on-line steps from there? I've been tempted to get computer-distance glasses anyhow. My current progressives are close enough for me now, so I could get frames on-line and be ready if I do need to go to my optometrist (or Costco) and give them up for fitting with new progressive lenses when the time comes.

-ERD50

I'd say just go to Costco (or wherever) for the prescriptions only, and do the online steps from there. When you get your written prescription, make sure it includes the Pupil Distance (PD). This is needed when getting your glasses online, and from what I understand, your doc usually doesn't write the PD on your prescription, but will if you ask for it - that was my experience exactly.

Also, when I ordered from 39DollarGlasses.com, I saw that you could send in your existing frames if you wanted them refit with new lenses.

Last edited:
I saw a JC Penney ad today with thier new pricing says March $99 complete frame and lens and I think you could get no line bifocal for zero extra.
Worth a look.
Just for comparison, one can get complete frame & glasses at 39DollarGlasses.com for $40. Progressives cost about $80.

Also, when I ordered from 39DollarGlasses.com, I saw that you could send in your existing frames if you wanted them refit with new lenses.

That's what I'm thinking as well. When I got my spare one at Walmart, I was surprised how long it took me to find that new frame which feels just about right. I have been wearing my current titanium frame for 15 years, and 3 set of glasses have been through it. I definitely don't want to ditch it just because the optometrist is not happy that I don't buy new frame from his/her.

I have used Zenni Optical for years. Most of the glasses are good! It is a great place for glasses, especially when you need bifocals and progressives. They provide these two types of lenses at incredibly cheap prices.

Back
Top Bottom