New Diet Rule...nothing out of a box.

e86s54

Recycles dryer sheets
Seen and read a few articles on misleading packaging and it turns out everything is misleading. But what my DW found to be interesting is that they all come out of a box.

So we have now gone on a lower carbs nothing out of a box diet. If we have orange juice, we squeeze it fresh, make our own salad and buy our meat/fish at the butcher, try to get local fresh vegetables. Very little bread and cereal...so very little sugar

I find we eat better, feel better, costs less and we've all dropped weight (I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks) and very close to normal BMI. I don't feel like I'm on a diet and I haven't exercised any more. I wasn't expecting to lose weight, just wanted to eat better.

I'm low-carbing it, too. I was trying to think what I eat that comes in a box, and I realized the answer is: nothing at all unless you count the recycled egg box that I refill at the store every week. My diet is about 99% lean proteins (eggs, chicken, fish, some beef), olive oil, fresh veggies and fruits, and plain Greek yogurt. I don't eat any cereals, bread, or pasta products anymore (except for the occasional bagel out) and surprisingly don't miss them. This way of eating really helps me easily maintain an ideal weight and I'm full of energy and mental clarity. It is kind of amazing and a huge difference from what I ate growing up.

I know someone who raised five kids with that rule--they could eat anything they wanted as long as they made it themselves. Besides all the kids becoming great cooks, they also learned portion control and delayed gratification, and were skinny as whips.

The idea sounds good but I would watch the juice since it can include a lot of sugar. Maybe better to eat an apple or orange and get a mix of fiber with your sugary juice. I still have a bit of a sweet tooth so I still reach for the boxes for sugar substitutes and I buy low carb cereals that come in a box. Keep a close eye on jars as well. :)

The only that that I eat from a box is (almost) sugar free oatmeal every morning, with blueberries and raspberies for extra nutrition and taste, and a splash of cinnamon

The idea sounds good but I would watch the juice since it can include a lot of sugar. Maybe better to eat an apple or orange and get a mix of fiber with your sugary juice. I still have a bit of a sweet tooth so I still reach for the boxes for sugar substitutes and I buy low carb cereals that come in a box. Keep a close eye on jars as well. :)

Don,

Yes you are correct about the fruit. Press pressed is better tasting and no additives (except a little ice or water if too sweet). We use to drink Tropicana or Minute Maid. I see the USDA is after them for their misleading ads. I was naive enough to think is was almost all just fresh juice.

I am not on a diet...just trying to eat better.

I'm making the transition to this eating philosophy as well. Shifting towards Paleo again. Last time I did it, I went from 218 pounds to 207 in a few weeks. I felt my blood sugar was getting all out of whack and I stopped. Lack of fat in my diet was the problem. Some toast with butter and I went from having the shakes to being clear-headed.

Right now I now eat eggs and veggies for breakfast, drink a green drink and a multivitamin. For lunch I'll have a salad with meat or meat by itself and for dinner I may have some type of carb, but nothing too heavy.

My body is very sensitive to carbs. It'll bloat me after one meal and I have gained 5 pounds literally in a day after a lot of pasta, french fries and huge restaurant meals. Most of the food out of a box isn't healthy. When I eat it, it doesn't have a whole lot of flavor. I really think it's possible to eat healthy with a little bit of advanced planning. No boxes, no Velveeta, none of that rice-a-roni or hamburger helper stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom