Night Guard for Teeth Grinding

What do you suppose is causing all this bruxism? Is life truly so stressful for us all, or do we just not know how to handle life without gnashing our teeth all the time?

Amethyst

I suspect that it would be that we are all high-achiever types and when we have problems that we are wrestling with stress ensues.

-gauss

An update ...

I went to the dentist today and got an impression done for a crown for my upper rear left chipped tooth. The dentist went over three options. 1) acrylic, 2) porclean or 3) gold. Acrylic being the cheapest (about $200). Gold being the strongest. Porclean being the most natural looking. I chose gold as in the back, I went for durablity over cheap or vain :D. A gold or porclean is about $1000. Mr. HSA will pay for that :)

We talked breifly about a night guard, but I told him that if I really don't need one, I'd prefer not to get one as my teeth or jaws don't hurt at all. He said, we can just see in the future if there are wear patterns, then if so, address a night guard again then. I'm happy with that answer :cool:

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Night guard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For around a decade, I had one… Then, for some reason, after I retired, I no longer needed it to prevent the nightly teeth grinding…[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]:)
[/FONT]

So with a data set of two points, it seems like we may not realize we need a night guard when we do need one.

I agree- after asking a lot of questions because he thought I had a high incidence of broken bridges and crowns, my dentist decided I must be grinding or clenching my teeth even though I didn't think I did and never work up with sore jaw muscles.

Shortly after that (and before the bite guard arrived), I had a root canal and was awakened that night by a sudden earing pain. I realized I'd just clenched my teeth together.

In my case, it's not that related to stress, although I have a sort of intense, driven personality anyway. My mother says she's never seen me so happy since I retired (actually she said that after DH and I married in 2003, too) but I still need a bite guard.

Following up from my post from yesterday, here is the link to the Internet site that manufacturers custom night guards for individuals and dentists: Night Guard for Teeth Grinding - Pro Teeth Guard

Their popular unit costs $159 shipped. I will probably order one soon. (edit: I actually ordered the $189 heavy duty unit today).

Only after trying this one and having it not work out would I consider the dentist recommended $600 one.

-gauss

I've worn a night guard for 15+ years, and bought one of the 'soft' ones from this website--based on the discussion here:). My last one was getting worn out after about 5+ years. The process of fitting was similar to what I remembered from the dentist. (Recommend you watch the video on the website to see how it works.)

Wore it last night for the first time, and I'd say it's 99% as comfortable as my dentist-made guard, although I probably should have ordered the 'hybrid' version to match the stiffness of my original guard.

Conclusion--99% as good; 25% the price. A 'clear win' enabled by the internet and E-R.org.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom