One eye dilated??

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This morning after I got out of the shower, I noticed that one pupil was dilated! It lasted about an hour...back to normal now, but it definitely freaked me out. I googled this topic, and can definitely say there were no illegal drugs involved, don't suspect a stroke, did not get shampoo or skin cleanser in my eye. This is the first time I am aware of this happening. I am exhausted (having arrived at home @ 0300, then up at 0615 this am) but not hungover...any comments or suggestions? :confused:

Try getting some rest!!! Also, do you have a blood pressure issue lurking? I might want to make next stop the Dr's office.

Fireup2025 said:
This morning after I got out of the shower, I noticed that one pupil was dilated! It lasted about an hour...back to normal now, but it definitely freaked me out. I googled this topic, and can definitely say there were no illegal drugs involved, don't suspect a stroke, did not get shampoo or skin cleanser in my eye. This is the first time I am aware of this happening. I am exhausted (having arrived at home @ 0300, then up at 0615 this am) but not hungover...any comments or suggestions? :confused:

This is called anisocoria. It is present in up to 20% of the population to some extent, and often is only noticeable in either bright or dark environments. There are a number of causes (many quite benign and unimportant) but occasionally it can signal something quite serious.

I agree with the advice to see your doctor (perhaps an ophthalmologist to start).

"If only one pupil is dilated, however, you may have Adie's syndrome, a condition in which one pupil contracts more slowly than the other in response to light. It's usually caused either by a malfunction in the mechanism that controls the dilation reflex or from a harmless inflammation of the eye nerves.

More seriously, a single dilated pupil could indicate a brain injury, stroke or tumor.

If just one pupil is larger than the other, see the doctor immediately, says Dr. Slakter. "This is a case where a matter of an hour or two could save your life," he says. "

I did have a complete eye exam on Tuesday morning (dilation and all) with the ophthalmologist.

Pupils are reacting normally at this point and am waiting on my nurse to return my call. Still waiting on all my routine yet detailed lab work to come back. I am inclined to think the 2.5 hours of sleep is the culprit, since I feel ok (yet tired!)

You guys found the same stuff...which prompted me to pose the question to my favorite online peers.

Fireup2025 said:
I did have a complete eye exam on Tuesday morning (dilation and all) with the ophthalmologist.
Hunh, I thought it was caused by spending a lot of time on the periscope during a sunny day...

hmmm... the one-eyed periscope. Have to remember that one. :eek:

Proper and adequate rest is vastly under rated for it's healing powers! Must be nap time!!! ;)

Nurse called me back...basically said the same thing - get some sleep! So, I'll probably scoot out early and zonk out. Poor BF! Well, need the sleep big time because tomorrow will be busy! (see post about the Long Island beer thing)

Back
Top Bottom