Well, what do you think?

First, hope your wife's health is still holding up well.

Thanks, she's doing great. I should've mentioned it!

How did you do the road trip? Preplan it or just go? Via car/suv or camper?

We actually bought an RV. It is really pretty luxurious, to be honest, but we have multiple dogs and wanted to be sure we could stay out up to a year and not get too cozy.

The latter half of your post I found interesting. At our younger ages (I'm 44), the feeling of walking away is nice but I think finding some "purpose" will be important for long term happiness. That can take on many forms and not necessarily mean w*rk. Also, once your child is in school, you will likely need to be anchored somewhere. Perpetual travel would be nice and is technically possible, but few undertake that adventure.

I agree. We even met some families that are "perpetual travelers," but they're rare, and they make huge sacrifices in terms of homeschooling (parental time and energy). I also like the idea of our kid getting to grow up with a group of friends. I had that luxury as a child, and I'm still close with my grade school buddies.

I'm curious as to your car lust - I tend to be the same. What did you splurge on?

I've had a Tesla and a 911. They were both great, but impractical day to day of course. We just got a Golf R when our Subaru finally fell apart, and it's a great sleeper. But about as much as I want to be spending on cars going forward, I think. I hope. :)

Well, so much for "6-month updates," eh?! I guess a 20-month update will have to do.

We finished our big road trip, I netted a trifle at my side gig in 2016, and we've ridden the market up since then with our non-home assets basically 100% in equities.

Kiddo is in school, and loves it, but we've decided together that we all like the nomadic life at least as much. So, throwing caution to the wind, we're outfitting a new RV and preparing to spend another few years on the road starting next summer. (We're also preparing for homeschooling, which is a huge roll of the dice... not so much because of the educational burden, but because we don't quite know how any of us will adapt to the mandatory student-teacher relationship.)

I did a little consulting work earlier this year and have signed up some friends who work "for me" now, too, so we've had a total pleasant surprise on the income front for 2017. On the other hand, we've sunk a small fortune into the new RV (and not done yet!) a.k.a. our full-time home for the foreseeable future, so cashflow has felt quite the opposite.

I got very lucky and dropped some funds into cryptocurrency early in the year, so now I have had to educate myself on how to prevent myself from losing my prime numbers and marooning an insane quantity of unrealized gains in the blockchains forever. As soon as we clear the LTCG window next year, I'll reduce our position considerably... no sense in having a third of our net worth in such a volatile "investment," right?

Our forward-looking budget comes in at 2.9% effective WR, which is right where we want to be, however looking back we have been much higher than those numbers this year even leaving out those one-time large RV "capital costs." Part of it has been justified by spending money to create more time (hiring out some work and hiring in some help), but part of it is also just plain profligacy. We will need to rein in the spending in the longer term, or maybe BTC will hit $100k by March and we can just continue to throw caution to the wind.

After a burst of interesting work early in the year, amounting to about eight weeks of travel time, I've been pretty chill the rest of the time. I've done a lot of fun personal projects, but I'm more eager than ever to find something long term to work on with a group of likeminded people. I truly hope that I'll have accomplished something in this area by the next time I post an update here. Please hold me to account then. However, it's just as important to me that I continue to reflect on how fortunate we are. No complaints!

Thanks for the update, Symbiotic. Glad to hear everything has gone so well!

I was curious about your RV since an extended road trip is something we may want to do. I believe you had bought one in the past and now you’ve gotten another one. Do they hold their value pretty well? Was it financially better to buy and sell when done with it, or did you buy because it wouldn’t be possible to rent the kind of RV you wanted?

Thanks

I was curious about your RV since an extended road trip is something we may want to do. I believe you had bought one in the past and now you’ve gotten another one. Do they hold their value pretty well? Was it financially better to buy and sell when done with it, or did you buy because it wouldn’t be possible to rent the kind of RV you wanted?

We bought new for ~300k and sold ~1.8y later (out of warranty) for 235k. We were only interested in a couple of brands because of quality/resale, and we wanted a bunk model. In those brands, only a few percent are made with bunks, so the pickings were slim in the used department. For that matter, there were only two new ones on the market in model we wanted in the entirety of North America at the time.

The RV market has gone from warm to white hot since then, so we probably did about as well as one could expect on new-rig depreciation. (I'd planned for ~$80k.) There are also now waitlists and long backorders for custom builds from the top manufacturers, and I imagine little to no price concession to be had.

For our new RV, we have had time to shop, we know a lot more about what we want, and we are treating this as an our permanent home for an indeterminate number of years. So, we actually bought an even higher end make, but a 10-year-old used model. I am gutting and replacing much of the interior with new appliances and electronics. I'm a sucker for quality, and the way they build these (just a few dozen a year) is hard to pass up. I am planning for ~30-40k/y depreciation+maintenance on this "new" RV.

No, unfortunately there is no way I'm aware of to secure any RV for a year or multiyear trip in a rental scheme. Most of the rentals are lower-end anyway, so I suspect they'd be tough to live in long term. (Poor insulation, both acoustic and thermal, gets old quickly. Flimsy infrastructure creates lots of maintenance. Small tanks/capacity restrict stay options. These things are just about perfect for a two- or three-week camping adventure, but not an extended trip.)

If you have time and/or don't have to be too choosy, you can find good quality used rigs with solid bones. Many (most) of the higher-end motorhomes are driven gently and taken care of very well. There are lots of motivated sellers as the owners age out of the RVing lifestyle or as the motorhome ends up in an estate and needs to be liquidated. There is a fairly robust online marketplace, although a ton of selling is still facilitated through dealers because of trade-ins and financing considerations.

The plethora of great content on Youtube makes it easy nowadays to get a sense of what it would be like on the road long term. You can find a family that's just like yours and follow them around to get a feel for the lifestyle. The whole thing is pretty fun, plus stuff breaks constantly so the rig always makes for a great antidote to boredom. :)

I got very lucky and dropped some funds into cryptocurrency early in the year, so now I have had to educate myself on how to prevent myself from losing my prime numbers and marooning an insane quantity of unrealized gains in the blockchains forever. As soon as we clear the LTCG window next year, I'll reduce our position considerably... no sense in having a third of our net worth in such a volatile "investment," right?
Congratulations on your investing acumen. I was curious as to your point about the long term capital gain window -- are cryptocurrency gains really treated as capital gains? So I did some research and found out that is indeed the case. Which seems exceedingly odd to me, since normally gains on a foreign currency denominated debt (e.g - CDs denominated in euros or reais or swiss francs, etc.) due to fluctuation in the exchange rate between that currency and the dollar are treated as ordinary income. Weird, but that's our beloved Tax Code.

Last edited:
... I was curious as to your point about the long term capital gain window -- are cryptocurrency gains really treated as capital gains? So I did some research and found out that is indeed the case. ...

Thanks for doing it (and posting before I started my curiosity research!) :)

And, Symbiotic, congratulations and best wishes going forward. I had not read any of your story before. Great thread.

Back
Top Bottom