Paperwork 2

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Doctors office called and said they needed $30 to complete my short term disability forms for work. Can you believe $4000 for the surgery and that doesn't cover 5 minutes paperwork.

I'm getting to hate doctors....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Doctors office called and said they needed $30 to complete my short term disability forms for work. Can you believe $4000 for the surgery and that doesn't cover 5 minutes paperwork.

Wait until they charge you for the ink cost to fill out the paperwork :D.

I hated one. Doc Moron wouldn't file FMLA paperwork unless I was in his office! Nurse said it was easier for him. No crap, except he did nothing to make my situation easier. I'd been waiting for 6 weeks for him to learn enough medicine to understand sending me to pain management would be helpful. I did say something during the appointment about how being easier didn't help me any.:) He never responded.

I've heard that's pretty common today but it's kind of a kick in the face.

My internist wouldn't give my eye surgeon the OK to go ahead with my cataract surgery, because it was 3 months after I had seen the internist.

OK, I understand, his info was a whole 3 months out of date but gosh. He has been my internist for 17 years and I am not on death's door, so you'd think he could give the OK for something as simple as cataract surgery. :rant: Instead he required another appointment so that he could do essentially nothing but sign the permission form. I guess I understand his rationale - - I wouldn't want to be responsible either, for example if a patient had taken a turn for the worse and it had been 3 months. But it took 3 months after the internist last saw me and told me to see an opthalmologist, before there was a date when the opthalmologist/surgeon could see me and get the surgery scheduled. It wasn't like I let grass grow under my feet. Good surgeons can be frightfully busy and booked up for elective surgeries like this, or at least this was my experience here in New Orleans.

Oh well. Medicare and BCBS paid the entire bill, and my internist was nice enough to squeeze me in on no notice the day before the surgery. I just thought it was annoying.

Last edited:
My internist wouldn't give my eye surgeon the OK to go ahead with my cataract surgery, because it was 3 months after I had seen the internist.

OK, I understand, his info was a whole 3 months out of date but gosh. He has been my internist for 17 years and I am not on death's door, so you'd think he could give the OK for something as simple as cataract surgery. :rant: Instead he required another appointment so that he could do essentially nothing but sign the permission form. I guess I understand his rationale - - I wouldn't want to be responsible either, for example if a patient had taken a turn for the worse and it had been 3 months. But it took 3 months after the internist last saw me and told me to see an opthalmologist, before there was a date when the opthalmologist/surgeon could see me and get the surgery scheduled. It wasn't like I let grass grow under my feet. Good surgeons can be frightfully busy and booked up for elective surgeries like this, or at least this was my experience here in New Orleans.

Oh well. Medicare and BCBS paid the entire bill, and my internist was nice enough to squeeze me in on no notice the day before the surgery. I just thought it was annoying.

I do not blame your internist at all. This is defensive medicine in action. it wastes your time and lots of money. (you get another mostly useless exam billed to insurance that we all pay for). This is what we get with a society bent on jackpot justice. Of course the odds are overwhelmingly likely that however you were 3 months ago is not materially changed but odds don't matter when anything goes wrong...there's money to be made.
Suppose there were a medical complication after the cataract surgery. I am sure YOU would never think of suing the internist for okaying the surgery without a more contemporaneous pre op evaluation, but I assure you there are people who would...some of them might even be your surviving relatives who will sue the doctor after you died from the complication he "should have known about!"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I do not blame your internist at all. This is defensive medicine in action. it wastes your time and lots of money. (you get another mostly useless exam billed to insurance that we all pay for). This is what we get with a society bent on jackpot justice. Of course the odds are overwhelmingly likely that however you were 3 months ago is not materially changed but odds don't matter when anything goes wrong...there's money to be made.
Suppose there were a medical complication after the cataract surgery. I am sure YOU would never think of suing the internist for okaying the surgery without a more contemporaneous pre op evaluation, but I assure you there are people who would...some of them might even be your surviving relatives who will sue the doctor after you died from the complication he "should have known about!"

Yeah, good point. It was aggravating, but probably necessary I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom