Personal Trainer

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
I rejoined my local gym . I had stopped for a year because we got home equipment but I find I need the motivation of a real gym . Well I went to one session with a personal trainer and while I thought it was good I'm not sure it's worth it at $75.00 an hour . So I'd like to hear other opinions on personal trainers .

I rejoined my local gym . I had stopped for a year because we got home equipment but I find I need the motivation of a real gym . Well I went to one session with a personal trainer and while I thought it was good I'm not sure it's worth it at $75.00 an hour . So I'd like to hear other opinions on personal trainers .

I must be in the wrong business. seriously, as a physical education teacher and track coach for over 30 years, I never could get myself to deal with adults as a personal trainer. Quite frankly 75 dollars an hour to motivate you? I think keeping the 75 dollars in your pocket and using it on something other than someone to tell you how to jump rope or jog or use a weight machine is well ....

I must be in the wrong business. seriously, as a physical education teacher and track coach for over 30 years, I never could get myself to deal with adults as a personal trainer. Quite frankly 75 dollars an hour to motivate you? I think keeping the 75 dollars in your pocket and using it on something other than someone to tell you how to jump rope or jog or use a weight machine is well ....

That's what I have always thought but I have to admit the first session which was only $30.00 was helpful .

$75.00 would buy a lot of beer!

Sprint/walk 4x's a week and do weights a couple of times and you're covered.

$75 sound high to me also - Can you do the following - Have him show you the routine
Give you a period of time you should do it.
Review your progress
Change routine as needed?

Yes , I think $75.00 is a little high especially in Florida . For $30.00 I would sign up for five sessions but $75.00 is a little high for questionable value .

As a part-time personal trainer, I would advise skipping expensive sessions and instead taking some time to educate yourself on the basics of exercise and nutrition. As with investing, it's VERY possible to DIY and get results that match or exceed that of professionals :)

I am sure I'd get better results with a personal trainer and I'd enjoy that but I could never part with $75 an hour, no matter how good the results might be. Fitness is another DIY activity IMO. I work out first thing in the AM (or I'd never stick with it) and I change my routine regularly (more effective anyway to avoid plateauing), more drastically when I feel like it's getting boring.

About five years ago, I hired a personal trainer to come to the house. $70 per session, twice a week for about six months. The sessions were supposed to be for an hour, but I usually got an extra 15 minutes. I found the personal trainer actually worth the money. And, there is a lot to know, stuff that you're not going to figure out by yourself. I had been going to a rather high end gym on Sunset Blvd. Being one of the oldest and quite possibly the most out-of-shape person in a rather large room full of very healthy looking people...well, it's kind of like that other thread about humiliation for looking poor.

And, I would suggest a female trainer. I noticed that they are more concerned with teaching, are more patient, much more supportive, better listeners and seem to take their work more seriously. Sorry if this offends any male personal trainers, but this is my observation.

Last edited:
I am sure I'd get better results with a personal trainer and I'd enjoy that but I could never part with $75 an hour, no matter how good the results might be. Fitness is another DIY activity IMO. I work out first thing in the AM (or I'd never stick with it) and I change my routine regularly (more effective anyway to avoid plateauing), more drastically when I feel like it's getting boring.

Getting boring. I have been running for over 40 years, Boring, heck yea!! Now knowing that by running my weight at 52 is less than at 18 178 then to 168 now, knowing that I can run 50 60 or even 70+ miles a week if I want to well just feels good. I do sit ups push ups everyday sets of 50 to 100 1 or 2X on the push ups, 3 to 4 sets on the sit ups. Eat real healthy foods, never fast food, was a vegetarian for years taught heath and nutrition read all kinds of books on food. So staying in shape for me has been a lifelong process. I can see how many would love to cash in on people who are ill informed.

Exercise its not rocket science. I agree with Zippers post#4!!O0

"I can see how many would love to cash in on people who are ill informed."

You mean like a financial adviser?

. I had been going to a rather high end gym on Sunset Blvd. Being one of the oldest and quite possibly the most out-of-shape person in a rather large room full of very healthy looking people...well, it's kind of like that other thread about humiliation for looking poor.

I briefly went to a gym that was high intensity in that it was mostly twenty somethings in spandex and cute outfits and pick up activity . I left that gym and I now go to an All Women's gym where everybody is friendly and there to work out.

I think I'm way past the age limit but they do have boot camp at the gym .

I had to laugh my wife got something in the mail last year from the Army. They were looking for nurses. :) Not laughing they were looking for nurses but the look on her face.

$75 per hour is pretty pricey for a personal trainer IMHO ($50-$60 seems more reasonable) but depending on your health insurance, avoiding one or two visits to the doc for something actually gone wrong could pay for quite a few sessions with a trainer.

I hate to think what donheff's trip to the ER cost (but I'm glad he's okay). If he has a high deductible policy, getting into tip top shape with a personal trainer might have avoided his ER visit and possibly saved him money overall.

$75 per hour is pretty pricey for a personal trainer IMHO ($50-$60 seems more reasonable) but depending on your health insurance, avoiding one or two visits to the doc for something actually gone wrong could pay for quite a few sessions with a trainer.

I hate to think what donheff's trip to the ER cost (but I'm glad he's okay). If he has a high deductible policy, getting into tip top shape with a personal trainer might have avoided his ER visit and possibly saved him money overall.

Never quite thought of it in those terms, but an excellent point. We fork out money in health insurance, LTC insurance, disability insurance etc, but don't think that investing into our overall fitness and health is also a type of insurance to avoid costs long term.

I've used a personal trainer for the past two years and consider it to be insurance. We go twice a week for 1/2 hour sessions (I think that the half hour gives you enough time to get something done). It provides the motivation we need to get to the gym, period. Because of the trainer, we've lost 60 lbs EACH and have kept it off for almost a year.

The cost is $30 each, so a total of $60 per session, 2x a week.
I can assure you that there is nothing else in our budget that looks like this, but it is simply a commitment we made to get and stay healthy. Also, my employer pays half, so our out of pocket is $240 a month. The trainer also pays our gym membership.

We lucked into a great (male) trainer through a friend's referral. I think the key to finding value is knowing just what sort of trainer you need. We don't need to know any fancy routines, we just need someone who we HAVE to be accountable to every week. I would like to think we could be motivated through (cheaper) personal accountability, and if that were the case, I'd do it in a minute, but this is who we are.

I consider it to be the most important money we spend every month, seriously.

Last edited:
I think after reading all the advice I 'm going to start with a personal trainer in a small group. It brings the price down to $30.00 an hour and I really only need training on the proper use of weights .

Don't give up the trainer just because you learn what you need to know. Like Sarah said, having to report in can keep you going to the gym when you'd rather be lounging.

I think after reading all the advice I 'm going to start with a personal trainer in a small group. It brings the price down to $30.00 an hour and I really only need training on the proper use of weights .

Good Idea Moemg. Weights are not something you want to jump into without doing them right! Seems like you found a nice happy medium :)

Back
Top Bottom