Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Unhealthy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Walking dead :)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Dead :)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
You're healthier than others.... until you aren't.

I voted ten-foot pole.

If it's a poll I'm having technical issues.

I think I'm pretty healthy at least compared to where I was 18 months ago. Going from obese to a healthy BMI and a lot of exercise certainly made a difference. I was on BP meds since '92, I'm so happy not to be taking any meds now.

I'm more grateful for the changes DW has done. Besides a healthy BMI, her anxiety and depression are so much better. Her docs don't even try to explain it, they both said sometimes it happens.

I'm decently healthy, well except for a factor V issue....I've discovered that age-related morbidity is definitely age-related :eek:

...I have spent a lot of time looking into ways to maintain my health, strength, and mobility in a more moderate fashion...

I can understand if someone wants to be athletic until an advanced age. But if longevity and health are a concern, then it is a different issue altogether.

One can look at the centenarians around the world to see how many of them were competitively athletic at any point. Mostly, they were just trim and fit, and active throughout their life, have a healthy diet and stress-free lifestyle.

On the other hand, does anybody have a statistics showing longevity of Olympians?

Last edited:
That must have been so frightening, and what a strong reminder of what is most important in life, and what is not...

Yes. But once you are past it, you go back to your old way. Well, maybe there's some residual effect, but you are not thinking the same as when you were not sure you would last.

For example, I thought that once I recovered, I would get myself a smaller and newer dually Sprinter-based class C. It would be close to $100K.

Then, when I regained my health, I changed my mind. Nah, it's only a very small percentage of my net worth, but I don't think it would get me more happiness. Just the fact that I am back at the steering wheel again, and being able to take a 2-month long RV trek to Nova Scotia, singing "On the road again" with Willie, was enough happiness. And to eat a big lobster in Halifax, washed down with a local IPA ...

I was going to put above average but then I put average. I was thinking 'compared to what others'? Canadians, Americans, OECDs, world...

The poll results look a little like the members of this community mostly come from Lake Wobegon. ;)

I can understand if someone wants to be athletic until an advanced age. But if longevity and health are a concern, then it is a different issue altogether.

One can look at the centenarians around the world to see how many of them were competitively athletic at any point. Mostly, they were just trim and fit, and active throughout their life, have a healthy diet and stress-free lifestyle.

On the other hand, does anybody have a statistics showing longevity of Olympians?
It's really not just about survival, but more about mobility and functionality. There are plenty of indications that running and high-impact sports earlier in life build bone density (as well as cardiovascular health), but that effect is largely mitigated by recurrent soft tissue damage and osteoarthritis incurred by continued long-term participation in those types of sports. Those aren't things that are going to kill you, but they're definitely going to hinder one's quality of life. In my opinion, if I'm 80 and unable to move around on my own, I'm not sure continued ability to draw breath is something I care about at that point, but I admit that's a fairly narrow view given there are folks my age who aren't able to do so and still lead meaningful lives.

Last edited:
I bet we are, well at least compared to the people of Walmart

Yes I suspect that you are correct in that assertion given that the discipline to get to FIRE is likely carried over to other aspects of life. Perhaps we should start polls on BMI, smoking, alcohol intake, flossing (maybe we already had one on this?), etc

Yes I suspect that you are correct in that assertion given that the discipline to get to FIRE is likely carried over to other aspects of life. Perhaps we should start polls on BMI, smoking, alcohol intake, flossing (maybe we already had one on this?), etc

a study came out yesterday that said flossing is useless

BMI is a joke anyway

I am seriously considering retiring from competing at any kind of high level because of the toll it takes on my body and the return I get on the investment of time. I'm not a pro. I'll never be a pro. It's a diversion and a means to get fit.
I am learning the art of non-competitive activities. I think you are on the right track questioning what is really important for you.

It's really not just about survival, but more about mobility and functionality. There are plenty of indications that running and high-impact sports earlier in life build bone density (as well as cardiovascular health), but that effect is largely mitigated by recurrent soft tissue damage and osteoarthritis incurred by continued long-term participation in those types of sports. Those aren't things that are going to kill you, but they're definitely going to hinder one's quality of life. In my opinion, if I'm 80 and unable to move around on my own, I'm not sure continued ability to draw breath is something I care about at that point, but I admit that's a fairly narrow view given there are folks my age who aren't able to do so and still lead meaningful lives.

Yes, I was talking about the centenarians who are mobile until the end, not the people who are in bed hooked up to tubes.

Um, no. What AP found was that there are no solid studies that prove that flossing is beneficial. That's different from showing that it's not useful.

so it's good exercise?

a study came out yesterday that said flossing is useless

BMI is a joke anyway

I don't know why flossing would be useless. If it does not let you keep your teeth, the benefit of having a clean mouth is still worth something. It's like saying having body odor is not detrimental to one's health, therefore there is no need for showers. :)

The absolute range for a healthy BMI may be disputed, but if I cannot be competitively athletic, the ability to do squats, pushups and pullups is still important to me.

The absolute range for a healthy BMI may be disputed, but if I cannot be competitively athletic, the ability to do squats, pushups and pullups is still important to me.

I can't do a pullup but I can knock out some dips. I lift weights 3 days a week. For me to get to a normal BMI I'd have to weigh what I did when I was 16.

Well, I was a scrawny teenager, so would not want to be back to where I was at 16. :)

But in terms of pullups, pushups, running, or even lifting weight, no way I can beat what I did at 16. I could lift a bit less than 1.5x my weight then.

Last edited:
Well, I was a scrawny teenager, so would not want to be back to where I was at 16. :)

But in terms of pullups, pushups, running, or even lifting weight, I don't think I can beat what I did at 16. I could lift a bit less than 1.5x my weight then.

I can't beat what I did when I played college football. Right now I'm just trying to keep some muscle.

Heck, I cannot even eat as much or drink as much, or stay up as late.

It's all downhill for a while already.

Can't even do integration by parts as quickly, or solving differential equations by mere inspection.

I just know more about stocks (and have more money).

Um, no. What AP found was that there are no solid studies that prove that flossing is beneficial. That's different from showing that it's not useful.

I'll keep doing it anyway. It's just that it is now in the category of "Can't hurt, might help".

so it's good exercise?

It's simply unproven to be useful for dental health since there is no study that proves it's a benefit. Conversely, there isn't a study that proves it is not a benefit either. Basically, no one ever really studied if flossing is worthwhile. Everyone just assumed it is.

Now someone has to do an actual study.

i get mine flossed every six months whether or not I need it

Again, I'd rather not have food stuck between my teeth. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom