• 2-3 blades ie, Mach 2, Track 2

Votes: 55 40.4%
  • 1 blade ie, classic double edge

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Mostly electric razor

Votes: 35 25.7%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need a new one, and am deciding between fewer or more blades, leaning toward the former - a classic single blade/double edge.

DW and I have razors that are so old you almost can't find replacement cartridge/blades for them.

Just for fun poll...

Last edited:
I am shocked that so far, nobody has voted for the single blade, double edged. Wouldn't that be a better LBYM choice than the others? Frank has been considering switching back to single blade, double edged too, because his present blades are ridiculously expensive. I don't think he has done it yet, though.

Last edited:
Electric.

Norelco spinning heads to be exact.

The cheapest 2-blade disposable. No pivoting head, no special handle, just no frills cheap.

I use Schick single edge injector. I always thought the multi-blade wars was silly and expensive. I stopped seeing single edge blades in the stores about 7 or 8 years ago. I can order 4 boxes of 7 blades for $20 from Amazon. Enough to last several years. I have two adjustable razors, one for travel that the base moves up so the blade is guarded.

I use the Schick Hydro 5 blade. Hands down the best shave I've had in 35+ years of shaving. Shaved about every day of a 20+ year military career and tried many a different tool for the job. The Hydro 5 is awesome. Also, I'm just started my third blade since August 2013. That's 2 blades lasting 15 months! How did I accomplish this you may ask. Well I'll tell ya. Since ER I only shave about every 3 days, sometimes up to 5 days. Also, after every shave I thoroughly dry the razor and strap it with a towel. That's it. I've heard others store their blades in baby oil to make them last longer. Whatever it takes to keep the blade from oxidizing which essentially dulls the blade quicker.

The Hydro isn't cheap, but as long as I get 6 months out of a blade, it's worth it for the exceptional shave I'm getting.

I have a Gilette Fusion Power (has a AAA battery and vibrates when you turn it on).

I hear what you are saying about LBYM W2R but I bought it before I retired and only shave a couple times a week now that I am retired so my blade expense is quite a bit less than it was when I was working and shaving every day.

OK, this is how cheap I am even though I don't recycle dryer sheets.

I just buy the blades- the usual double- or triple-blade, generic version, and I've got steady enough hands that I shave with the blade only- sort of like an old-fashioned straight razor but much smaller. I'm female, so we're talking legs and underarms.

I just got tired of paying for the razor and a few blades, then finding replacement blades were way overpriced, then finding they no longer made a generic version that fit the razor, buying a new one, repeat...

And no, I'm not covered with nicks and cuts!

Recently got new razor and blades from Harrys.com. Have used the Fusion up til now, and have been semi scientifically comparing how long these last. The angle is a tad different, neither better nor worse. At this point I'd say blade life is about the same, shave about the same. Harry's is half the price though, free shipping. So that's what I'm using from now on. Never could understand HOW they could charge ~$4 for a razor cartridge. Well, I guess because I paid it. :facepalm:

Old Remington electric, augmented every few days with the cheapest disposable. Only "luxury" option is the teflon strip.

In HS I started out with a Schick single-blade single-edge, and once in a while I'd use an old Braun that my Dad passed down to me when he got a new one. Then I grew a full beard, which I kept for 23-24 years, and only occasionally neatened up the edge with that old Schick. One day I decided to shear off the full fur-face, and went down the next day and bought a Norelco triple-head elelctric, which did a great job for many years....'til it finally up and died. Then I purchased a nice Braun 5000 Series electric rechargeable, which does an excellent job! I change the blade head and screen about once a year.

If or when I need a new one, I'll most likely buy another Braun. Or I'll just go back to being ol' fur-face! :D

The only reason I haven't already gone back to a classic single blade/double edge razor, I assume I'm more likely to nick myself with one - that wouldn't be much fun.

Good thing I don't travel much anymore, I understand cartridge razors are allowed, but single edge/double blade razors are verboten...

Attachments

• Weishi-2003-M-double-edged-safety-razor.jpg
    Weishi-2003-M-double-edged-safety-razor.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I am shocked that so far, nobody has voted for the single blade, double edged. Wouldn't that be a better LBYM choice than the others?

Well, I think mine is the 3 blade super-duper smooth as a baby's behind shave model - but actually since FIRE, I don't really use it much anymore. Turned into kinda of a hermit/bum and and am just loving it.:wiseone:

I have a safety razor I'll probably start using when I have more time in the mornings (retirement). Right now, I use the 4 blade option from Dollar Shave Club. I get the "not so hairy" option so I get four blades every two months via mail for $6.

Gilette Mach 3 system here. For a long time I used the disposables bought on sale but was always getting nicks. I've had the handle for over 10 years now, replace the blade about every six weeks (shave every other day generally). Yes, the blades are ridiculously priced at the store, so I buy at auction on ebay for about $1.50 each. Get a little entertainment bidding, generally losing, until I get my price. Start shopping when I still have several blades left.

I use mostly an old (~10 years) Norelco but occasionally a Gillette single blade/double edge similar to the one pictured by Midpack. When I use that I make sure to wear a dark shirt so the blood doesn't show so much.

Been using Gillette Fusion Power for 1 1/2 years, and very happy with it. Came with 2 blades, and am just getting ready to toss it and buy the new Swivel Power Fusion. Uses the same blades as the non swivel Fusion.
Anyway... with the blades costing $4+ each, I looked around for a better deal.
This looks too god to be true.. less than $2 each, in packs of 8. That would last me longer than I'll ever live.

qty (24) Gillette Fusion Power Razor Cartridges.3 new packages of (8) - Men's Razor Blades

Now... one more thing... As one gets REAL old, hairs grow quickly... not on the top of the head, but the eyebrows, ears... OMG a half inch in three days... and in the nose. Indeed, even around and in back of the ears. With grey hair, some feel this is distinguished, but I feel like what we used to call a tramp.

Anyway, about 10 years ago, I found a bikini shaver for $2, and it's the best two dollars I ever spent. Has never failed, and I use it every day for a tune up. (BTW... before you ask... not in the Bikini areas... Very dangerous!)

Here's the one I bought...
Not my favorite color, but it works!.

Attachments

• shaver.jpg
    shaver.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 235
I'm also a fan of the Gillette Fusion razor. As another poster noted I extend the life of the blade by drying it off after use and strop it on an old pair of jeans maybe once a week. I shave maybe 3 times a week and the blades last several months and still give a good shave.

Electric. I have never used a non-electric razor to remove hair on my face.

Back
Top Bottom