Don't you hate when this happens...

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
For example, when you know you already own an item, like a cooking utensil or tool, but you can't find it. So after a while you give it up for lost, buy a new one, and then the old one chooses to pop back into existence shortly after you buy the replacement.

A few days ago I was looking for my pair of "cut level 5" gloves, which I wear when sharpening things like kitchen knives, utility blades, mower blades, things of that sort. (I think you can guess why I take that precaution.) I'd washed them, then put them "somewhere" to dry where they'd be easy to find. Or so I thought. Couldn't find them to save my life.

So I ordered two new pair from Home Depot. Sure enough, on the day they arrived on the front porch, I found the old pair right where I'd left them hanging on the handle to the fertilizer spreader.:facepalm:

Okay, it's only $37 & some change, but it is irritating.

The best way to find the thing is to buy a new thing, works every time!

We have a city house and a lake house. Every time I look for something it's at the other house--we think. Tools are the worst thing to misplace.

I have 3 of many items. It's just how things are--and accepted as such.

Very similar to needing something that you haven’t used in years so you get rid of it and need it days later.

For example, when you know you already own an item, like a cooking utensil or tool, but you can't find it. So after a while you give it up for lost, buy a new one, and then the old one chooses to pop back into existence shortly after you buy the replacement.

A few days ago I was looking for my pair of "cut level 5" gloves, which I wear when sharpening things like kitchen knives, utility blades, mower blades, things of that sort. (I think you can guess why I take that precaution.) I'd washed them, then put them "somewhere" to dry where they'd be easy to find. Or so I thought. Couldn't find them to save my life.

So I ordered two new pair from Home Depot. Sure enough, on the day they arrived on the front porch, I found the old pair right where I'd left them hanging on the handle to the fertilizer spreader.:facepalm:

Okay, it's only $37 & some change, but it is irritating.
Honestly, I started to email myself when I put something in a “clever” place, particularly before a trip.

One slender laptop went missing for months and I guess I eventually stumbled across it - I had cleverly slid it in between books inside a cabinet just before a trip. It was well hidden - once I found it I remembered. :facepalm: And that was years ago, so I’ve had the problem for a long time. DH too.

I really try to avoid putting things in “clever” places, or at least e-mail myself.

Certain things you need a saturation point though. Like pliers and screwdrivers. Can never have enough. At least a dozen of each scattered around the house and always in easy reach.

Certain things you need a saturation point though. Like pliers and screwdrivers. Can never have enough. At least a dozen of each scattered around the house and always in easy reach.
+1

I keep a small set of basic tools in:

1. A kitchen drawer
2. The camper
3. The garage
4. lawn building
5. Etc.

Nobody should have to go downstairs to the shop just to fetch a screwdriver!

Happened to me 2 days ago. I needed some small rare earth magnets. I knew I had some in my shop because I remembered seeing them within the last week. But I couldn’t find them. So I went to the hardware store and bought some. And then found the missing ones by accident later that afternoon.

Very similar to needing something that you haven’t used in years so you get rid of it and need it days later.

Yep!! Been there, done that on both fronts.

This problem is why I have more than 5 toolboxes. Yet I needed a flex socket adapter and couldn't find mine in any toolbox.
So I went to HF and bought a new set.
Haven't used it yet, so the old one hasn't shown up yet. :blush:

I have the 'put something out in the open where you can't possibly lose it', then it vanishes anyway. I once threw a hose nozzle a few feet away from me, onto the lawn, so I wouldn't be stepping on it while I was doing something. Sure enough, the nozzle vanished. Walked around the lawn barefoot, hoping to step on it. Nope. Absolutely vanished. No gopher holes nearby. Must have been a hawk swooped down behind me and flew off with it. Bought a new nozzle, and the vanished one stayed vanished.

Last edited:
It happens, but the worse (in my experience) has been as a coin collector and buying duplicate coins. :blush: I keep a pretty detailed list (spreadsheet) of my coin collections and would take it with me to coins shows so I'd know what I had and what I needed. Well a couple of times I had an error on my spreadsheet and spent "thousands" for a coin that I already had.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Well fortunately the coins I was buying were in pretty high demand so I didn't have any problems selling/trading them at the next show... Still, stupid/careless mistake(s) on my part...:blush:

This is why I got the "Senior version" GPS. It not only tells me how to get to my destination; it also tells me why I went there.

Honestly, I started to email myself when I put something in a “clever” place, particularly before a trip.

One slender laptop went missing for months and I guess I eventually stumbled across it - I had cleverly slid it in between books inside a cabinet just before a trip. It was well hidden - once I found it I remembered. :facepalm: And that was years ago, so I’ve had the problem for a long time. DH too.

I really try to avoid putting things in “clever” places, or at least e-mail myself.
Yes. That thought has crossed my mind when hiding laptops or keys before a trip. Even my "hiding" place needs to not be too too clever...

I have the 'put something out in the open where you can't possibly lose it', then it vanishes anyway. I once threw a hose nozzle a few feet away from me, onto the lawn, so I wouldn't be stepping on it while I was doing something. Sure enough, the nozzle vanished. Walked around the lawn barefoot, hoping to step on it. Nope. Absolutely vanished. No gopher holes nearby. Must have been a hawk swooped down behind me and flew off with it. Bought a new nozzle, and the vanished one stayed vanished.
Any chance someone "helped" you by putting it away so it did not become "lost".

Is why I have 6 or 7 pairs of work gloves at my camp.

+! I'm a huge believer in this saturation concept. For example, once I started needing reading glasses, I kept buying glasses until I had a set strategically placed for all possible situations. I probably own 25 pairs, but I ALWAYS find a pair nearby.
Same is true, as RobbieB says for pliers, screwdrivers, etc.

The best way to find the thing is to buy a new thing, works every time!

Indeed! Best way to do this is to buy a new one, keep the original packaging and the receipt, and try not to use it. Wait for the old item to show up, and then you can return the new one! Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that the old one will only show up at the point when the new one is no longer returnable.......

This is only vaguely related, but the original post got me to thinking about all the things I used to own, that I no longer own, but cannot for the life of me remember what happened to them. Did I sell them, give them away, lose them, or what? It is all quite mysterious.

If I had to guess, I'd conservatively estimate I have 100 screwdrivers. Probably closer to the 150 to 200 range. Everything from a very fine jewelers set, up to and including sizes so large they could be (and have been) :) used as pry bars.

Last edited:
Yes. That thought has crossed my mind when hiding laptops or keys before a trip. Even my "hiding" place needs to not be too too clever...

I have resorted to a text file on my home computer telling me where I hide stuff for when we go on trips.
My computer is encrypted, so All I need to do is remember the password for it.

We have a city house and a lake house. Every time I look for something it's at the other house--we think. Tools are the worst thing to misplace.

I purged excess tools 3 years ago. Then a few months later we bought a cabin and I ended up carrying tools back and forth until I got some duplicates. :facepalm:

I think tools are probably the worst. However, a former coworker had over 23 pairs of reading glasses. I was at his desk and he was looking for a pair and then picked a pair up off his desk. He laughed and started counting. A pair hanging around his neck, a pair on top his head, multiple pairs on his desk top. Multiple pairs in every desk drawer, then he said he had them in his work truck, on the dash, in the cubby holes, in the glove box, in the center console, on the passenger seat, in his personal car all over his house at various locations. He said he buys a pair once in a while and changes out which one he uses then ensures he has plenty around so he can find a pair.

I'm guilty as well. I have multiple sets of tools: sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, hammers, tape measures, volt meters; seems to be of just about everything except specialized tools.

When I am working in my garage and can't find the tool I just laid down somewhere, go to toolboxes and get another. Eventually the toolbox supply is exhausted and I have to take a break and look around to collect up all the tools. Rinse and repeat as the project goes forward.

Back
Top Bottom