Positional Vertigo

I have had this happen three or four times in my life over the course of 40 years. The second to the last time, my PCP prescribed a drug called Meclezine. He said that if the vertigo didn't clear up within a few days, he would refer me to a physical therapist for the Epley procedure. The drug did work, albeit slowly. Took a week before I was fully cured. I've researched the Epley procedure on line and if it occurs again I may steel myself to give it a try. I fear the nausea and discomfort that the procedure would likely cause though and prefer the drug and slow cure method. When I travel I always take this medication along in case I have another episode.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have had this happen three or four times in my life over the course of 40 years. The second to the last time, my PCP prescribed a drug called Meclezine. He said that if the vertigo didn't clear up within a few days, he would refer me to a physical therapist for the Epley procedure. The drug did work, albeit slowly. Took a week before I was fully cured. I've researched the Epley procedure on line and if it occurs again I may steel myself to give it a try. I fear the nausea and discomfort that the procedure would likely cause though and prefer the drug and slow cure method. When I travel I always take this medication along in case I have another episode.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Meclizine doesn't cure BPPV, it just masks the symptoms (which often does make people feel better). BPPV often will resolve spontaneously, via the loose crystals dissolving/being reabsorbed or being moved out of one of the canals via normal daily head movements. However, it may take several days vs one canalith repositioning maneuver (Epley) which often fixes it immediately (although not always).

I understand not wanting to go through it...I HATE deliberately bringing on the symptoms. However, I am always happy I did it after it fixes it!

Meclizine doesn't cure BPPV, it just masks the symptoms (which often does make people feel better). BPPV often will resolve spontaneously, via the loose crystals dissolving/being reabsorbed or being moved out of one of the canals via normal daily head movements. However, it may take several days vs one canalith repositioning maneuver (Epley) which often fixes it immediately (although not always).

I understand not wanting to go through it...I HATE deliberately bringing on the symptoms. However, I am always happy I did it after it fixes it!
Spot on it's a medication that helps dizzy. My former PCP swore by valium too. Never did much for me.

There's other things that appear to mimic some of the symptoms of BPPV. I have many of the symptoms but it appears that my beta blocker is causing my issues. I'm not well yet but after 4 days of 50% dosage my BP is fine and I'm having less issues. Standing up sometimes triggers symptoms of hypotension but your head position is also changing. My new PCP isn't ruling out BPPV but we both think this is more likely.

The same thing happened about 10 years ago, I lost a little weight, felt dizzy. Went to the ER and after a bit they discovered my heartrate was 35 as the beta blocker was more effective.

I had BPPV years ago. Went to doc and they tried the maneuver. Didn't work for me though. All that left me was feeling lightheaded and having to wait at the doc's office for the sensation to ease up. I wonder though was the lack of success due partially to my body's reflex to resist being turned around bringing on the vertigo.

My best bet is watching what I eat (watch the sodium) and maintaining a decent sleep schedule. That seems to put things under control for me.

One other thing to look into if you are dizzy is hydration. Not drinking enough water each day can have many deleterious effects including dizziness.

While swimming laps in the pool last year, I decided to try doing the flip turn. Did it a number of times, but then started feeling dizzy and queasy. Took most of the day for the feeling to wear off. I'm not sure if it was caused by water in my ear or the misplacement of crystals.

Another potential culprit is Menieres Disease, which is the buildup of fluid behind your eardrums. I was diagnosed with Menieres about 18 years ago, and while I haven't had the vertigo in forever, my hearing has been decimated in both ears.

I do take a diuretic every day.

Feeling a bit lightheaded just now. Caused from tilting my head sideways, looking at the USB ports at the back of my PC. Will take about an hour for things to settle down.

Had another small attack of BPPV again the other day. Woke up as normal, tried to sit up and the world started spinning at 100 RPM and I ended up on the floor.

Did the Epley maneuver twice a day for three days and it has (90%) disappeared. I still feel a little "foggy" though and get dizzy if I close my eyes and move my head. I don't recall the lingering effects lasting this long before but who knows... I actively try and forget these attacks after they happen anyway.

I will say I wonder if it is linked to ear/nose/throat infections. DW is fighting a nasty cold and the glands in my throat had been swollen before the attack. The BPPV happens and hey presto, my swollen glands disappeared. Nothing I have read says so but who knows.

edit: went back and read my post from last year. Seems it took a while to wear off then too. And, crap.. I guess now it is happening to me more often.... wonderful.

Last edited:
Another potential culprit is Menieres Disease, which is the buildup of fluid behind your eardrums. I was diagnosed with Menieres about 18 years ago, and while I haven't had the vertigo in forever, my hearing has been decimated in both ears.

I do take a diuretic every day.
That's interesting. I saw an ENT a couple months ago for vertigo, his diagnosis sounded similar to Menieres(inner ear fluid not draining) but he gave it different name. It was about as long as the my forearm so I didn't even try. I don't get the spinning sometimes associated with Menieres.

He's treating me with a gram of niacin every day. He mentioned diuretics as another option.

Had it maybe eight years ago. Can't remember the duration but maybe a month. I think I found the sites to do the exercises. It was a weird deal that if I put my head in a certain position (both sides) I would immediately whirl. Luckily most of the times this happened I was sitting down so all I had to do is adjust my head position.

I've suffered from BPPV on and off for years, usually quickly corrected by the Epley maneuver (by ENT in office, or by myself using the "home version"). I've learned not to do certain things that trigger it, like lying under a car looking up to fix something.

Lately, though, I've been having something different --a sort of "white noise" tinnitus, followed by a dizzy spell that lasts about 5-10 seconds. It has happened while standing, sitting, even driving, but I can tell when it's coming and power through. My ENT had no ideas to suggest, other than less salt in my diet.

Back
Top Bottom