Positional Vertigo

The written description of the Epley Maneuver may be a little complicated. This short video of the action and the explanation of the cause is clear. Won't hurt to take a minute to learn and understand the cause and correction.

The written description of the Epley Maneuver may be a little complicated. This short video of the action and the explanation of the cause is clear. Won't hurt to take a minute to learn and understand the cause and correction.

Thanks! That made it much clearer to me.

This is not meant to alarm, just to share experience.

Four yrs. ago, my mother at 80 started having vertigo. She had partial relief with head position "manipulation". She was given a clean bill of health for inner ear issues.

It turns out she also had afib, undiagnosed by her doc (How on earth that happened, we'll never know).

She had a massive stroke 2 months after first experiencing vertigo. Was afib the primary cause of stroke? Most likely. However, sibs and I have always wondered if the vertigo was some kind of preliminary symptom which triggered the stroke. Or the afib triggered the vertigo.

We will never know. She was unable to communicate and was 90 % disabled after the stroke.

I'm just concerned when I read that someone is not aggressively pursuing treatment or simply minimizing the condition.

OP here, and thank you for your concern. Possible heart conditions or stroke were seriously considered by the ER staff. DW was given a full exam, including EKG in the ER, and has an appointment tomorrow with an ENT Doc.

You are absolutely correct that follow-up is required.

I'll keep all posted as we hear more.

It turns out she also had afib, undiagnosed by her doc (How on earth that happened, we'll never know).

Was the afib intermittent?

When I was having afib it was intermittent, and as far as I know unless my heart was actually in afib when the doc was using a stethoscope or had an EKG hooked up there would be no other indication of the condition.

At home I could easily feel and hear (with a stethoscope) the irregular heartbeats when in afib.

After a couple of years of trying other treatments I had a cardiac ablation that seems to have fixed it for now but they tell me it will come back. Maybe a year, maybe ten years, no way to know.

Just wait until you get a bill from the Emergency Room Doctor's billing service. While you have good insurance and it was accepted by the hospital, the Emergency Room Doctors are subcontractors and not bound by hospital contracts. They're invariably OUTSIDE THE PLAN on many insurance policies--and that's where they get in your pocket.

My daughter had a terrible migrane and saw the E Room doctor for 3 minutes. BCBS didn't cover his services and the bill was absolutely ridiculous--for no help. I consider them slave labor--taking whatever someone will pay them for their services.

Update on the ER charges:

Hospital bill to BCBS: $2,170

Adj. Bill with BCBS discount: $1,162

BCBS paid: $1,012

I owe $150 (the published co-pay), which was actually discounted to $112.50 (25%) when I paid the hospital at time of service.

Now, it is possible there are more bills to come, but if this is it, I'm pretty pleased.

Update on the ER charges:

Hospital bill to BCBS: $2,170

Adj. Bill with BCBS discount: $1,162

BCBS paid: $1,012

I owe $150 (the published co-pay), which was actually discounted to $112.50 (25%) when I paid the hospital at time of service.

Now, it is possible there are more bills to come, but if this is it, I'm pretty pleased.

OK, another charge has shown up. Another $1,882. Negotiated rate is $225, paid by BCBS. No additional charge to me.

So, the totals stand at:

Hospital charge: $4,052

Adjust bill with BCBS rates: $1,387

My costs: $112.50

Now, this was just the emergency room visit. DW has been to an ENT Doc, and will have further testing in March. She is feeling better, and is not taking any meds, but still not 100%.

Perhaps 20 years ago, I got my first bout. Went to PC doc who sent me for a battery of tests. All was "okay" (so I guess it was all in my head, heh, heh.) NO ONE suggested Positional Vertigo. The problem passed long before the tests were completed (a couple of weeks). When it happened again, I started asking around and finally found someone who suggested the illness at hand. I've never been successful in "fixing" it with the various positioning techniques, but they have all been much more elaborate and time consuming than the one shown here. It turns out, I usually can live with the problem long enough for it to go away on its own (1 to 3 days).

Next time, I will try the procedure in the Youtube video and see if that works.

So far, I've never tossed my cookies over the vertigo, though I've felt like it. YMMV

I have had bouts of BPPV multiple times over the years. It is indeed benign, but feels horrible!

However, there are multiple potential causes of dizziness, as mentioned in this thread. Therefore, proper diagnosis is required.

Due to my personal experience with this, I decided to specialize in vestibular rehabilitation. You can find a provider with special training here along with great patient education via these websites:

Vestibular Disorders - Dizziness

http://www.neuropt.org/map_Vestibular/map.html

https://vestibular.ong/

I have had bouts of BPPV multiple times over the years. It is indeed benign, but feels horrible!

However, there are multiple potential causes of dizziness, as mentioned in this thread. Therefore, proper diagnosis is required.

Due to my personal experience with this, I decided to specialize in vestibular rehabilitation. You can find a provider with special training here along with great patient education via these websites:

Vestibular Disorders - Dizziness

http://www.neuropt.org/map_Vestibular/map.html

https://vestibular.ong/

I went to a couple of people who were certified after over a year of vertigo in visually stimulating environments(grocery stores or similar).

It was pretty amazing, in the first ten minutes he'd managed to make me dizzier than I could ever imagine. He gave me hope that I could get better, months of treatment followed. Perhaps not the most pleasant things I'd ever done(I always had a bucket with me:D) but after a few months my balance had returned to normal. It's really hard to believe how much better my life is thank to those skilled therapists.

Been lucky enough to be "blessed" with my second bout of this damn BPPV this week. First one was circa 10 years ago.

Went to bed happy on Sunday night. Monday morning I woke up, the room was spinning at about 60 mph. Tried to stand up, fell out of bed and hugged the floor tight. Got the cold sweats and vomited too, which is always nice.

Been on intermittent bed rest and anti-histamines and Dramamine all week. Getting slightly better. I was able to drive yesterday but today was a little rougher. Going to have DW assist me and try the Epley maneuver tonight and perhaps the Semont maneuver.

She reminded me that 10 years ago it took about 3 weeks to clear itself up.

Crap.

Been lucky enough to be "blessed" with my second bout of this damn BPPV this week. First one was circa 10 years ago.

Went to bed happy on Sunday night. Monday morning I woke up, the room was spinning at about 60 mph. Tried to stand up, fell out of bed and hugged the floor tight. Got the cold sweats and vomited too, which is always nice.

Been on intermittent bed rest and anti-histamines and Dramamine all week. Getting slightly better. I was able to drive yesterday but today was a little rougher. Going to have DW assist me and try the Epley maneuver tonight and perhaps the Semont maneuver.

She reminded me that 10 years ago it took about 3 weeks to clear itself up.

Crap.

If the room is constantly spinning, even with your head still, it mostly likely isn't BPPV. Symptoms of BPPV typically only occur with change in head position and last < 30 seconds to a minute (typically).

Based upon what you described, acute neuritis or some other diagnosis sounds more likely. Although, I will say, sometimes BPPV can be severe and cause lingering symptoms throughout the day as well as significant imbalance.
So....have you sought medical input? It's important to rule out other possible causes - just to be safe.

https://vestibular.org/labyrinthitis-and-vestibular-neuritis

My empathy. I've struggled with vertigo, balance, and dizzy for 5 years.

I'm going through another bout right now. I've was through balance therapy in 2014. Stinks.

I've tried Epily at home, nothing. The half somersault or Foster maneuver was simple, and may have made a small difference.

Hope your feeling better soon.

Last edited:
If the room is constantly spinning, even with your head still, it mostly likely isn't BPPV. Symptoms of BPPV typically only occur with change in head position and last < 30 seconds to a minute (typically).

Based upon what you described, acute neuritis or some other diagnosis sounds more likely. Although, I will say, sometimes BPPV can be severe and cause lingering symptoms throughout the day as well as significant imbalance.
So....have you sought medical input? It's important to rule out other possible causes - just to be safe.

https://vestibular.org/labyrinthitis-and-vestibular-neuritis

Hard to say. Some of the symptoms are the same with both ? I do seem to recall this was the diagnosis the first time. Then I was told it gets better (eventually) by itself.

I do have trouble focusing my vision and some haziness but generally I can now walk and sit without to much discomfort. It only flares up when I move my head to fast, bend right over or try and sleep on my right side. For the last few nights, I have taken an anti-histamine and nausea tablet when I go to sleep. I usually wake up at about 0430 with the spins.. they go away after a minute or two and I can sleep again until dawn.

I've decided to wait a few more days and see if it gets better.

My empathy. I've struggled with vertigo, balance, and dizzy for 5 years.

I'm going through another bout right now. I've was through balance therapy in 2014. Stinks.

I've tried Epily at home, nothing. The half somersault or Foster maneuver was simple, and may have made a small difference.

Hope your feeling better soon.

I have this problem as well, very difficult to recover from once your balance starts to go off. For those that want to test their balance, place one foot in front of the other in a straight line, close your eyes, and move your head rapidly from one side to the other. If you can do that for any length of time, your balance is good.

I have this problem as well, very difficult to recover from once your balance starts to go off. For those that want to test their balance, place one foot in front of the other in a straight line, close your eyes, and move your head rapidly from one side to the other. If you can do that for any length of time, your balance is good.
+1

Probably good to have a spotter. First time therapist made me close my eyes, you know what happened. [emoji12]

+1

Probably good to have a spotter. First time therapist made me close my eyes, you know what happened. [emoji12]

At least put on a helmet (football motorcycle etc) so you won't hit your head hard, if you have one.

I have had this for years. The first time it was really bad. I would lay down and my head would whip back and forth, totally out of my control. Once when I was sitting up I turned to the left, and my body whipped it'self around to the right. It's a frightening thing when you can't control your body.
Now it's not as bad, dizziness, staggering walk, but seldom happens because I make sure to do slow movements with the head. Forward and backward motion seems to set it off the worst.

Just reading this gets me queasy. I've had bouts of positional vertigo in earlier years. I watch my diet (low sodium, plenty of water, stay away from garlic) and that seems to help me avoid the spins :(.

I have had this for years. The first time it was really bad. I would lay down and my head would whip back and forth, totally out of my control. Once when I was sitting up I turned to the left, and my body whipped it'self around to the right. It's a frightening thing when you can't control your body.
Now it's not as bad, dizziness, staggering walk, but seldom happens because I make sure to do slow movements with the head. Forward and backward motion seems to set it off the worst.

Is this positional vertigo? My sister had it and I don't recall her body whipping out of control.

I have had BPPV a couple of times. My impression is that if you do the Epley maneuver for the wrong ear, then you make it worse.

My doc didn't even bother to see me. Since my wife was going in for a blood draw, he just gave her a handout which he had in every patient room since BPPV was so common. He also said watch youtube.com. It all worked for me. Twice.

I cannot imagine diet has anything to do with it since it is about the particles in your ear canals getting into the wrong canals/positions. This can occur from laying around, blows to the head, quick movements of the head, a host of other head motions or positions, or simply letting the particles settle under the influence of gravity with the head in a strange position.

Last edited:
I had this from tight neck muscles. More veggies, less computer use and exercises / foam rollers / massage balls to loosen and balance my neck and shoulder muscles seem to have been my long term fix. More veggies helped with the tight muscles part.

I had after watching a movie in the front row of the theatre with head looking straight up (Hobbit long movie). Took a day before I could walk than several days to feel ok did the exercises (lay on bed eyes closes and sit up etc....) eventually went away.

I had this for years, including vomiting, then finally was referred to an ENT who did Epley. No problem for years up until about 18 months ago. I knew what it was and was referred to a physical therapist who specialized in balance disorders. She did several sets of movements, had me do them at home, and I haven't had an episode in a while. I do get anxious about it coming back because it can be pretty awful.

I have had this condition many times in my life, but never knew what it was. I did not know that anyone else "suffered" from it. Thanks to OP for bringing it up in this post. You guys are awesome!

What causes benign positional vertigo?
BPV is the result of a disturbance inside your inner ear. The semicircular canals, or the tubes inside your ears, contain fluid that moves when you change your body’s position. The semicircular canals are extremely sensitive.
BPV develops when small crystals of calcium carbonate that are normally in another area of the ear break free and enter the semicircular canals. It can also happen when these crystals form inside the semicircular canals. This causes your brain to receive confusing messages about your body’s position.

Back
Top Bottom