RealAge Disappointment

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
But not that surprising.

Online Quiz is a windfall for Drug makers

Pharmaceutical companies pay RealAge to compile test results of RealAge members and send them marketing messages by e-mail. The drug companies can even use RealAge answers to find people who show symptoms of a disease — and begin sending them messages about it even before the people have received a diagnosis from their doctors.

While few people would fill out a detailed questionnaire about their health and hand it over to a drug company looking for suggestions for new medications, that is essentially what RealAge is doing.

Gotta love this marketing concept. Part of its brilliance may lie in weeding out people who don't have an internet connection.

I don't understand the significance. Do non-internet user's buy fewer drugs? ;)
Noninternet uses probably have less money, see the doctor less often, and when they do they are less likely to ask about a specific "direct to consumer" drug ad or mailing. Focused marketing , so to speak.

Of course, it could be that the Pharma is simply interested in altruisticly promoting the health and well-being of it's valued customers ;).

I don't understand the significance. Do non-internet user's buy fewer drugs? ;)
You've got something there, they may not need the internet because they see Dr. Oz on Oprah. :) I was thinking they want to target people who can afford an internet connection.

Interesting article. Actually sounds like a tool a real doctor could use to help patients. Seems profit motive continues to have a "dark" side and a "good" side. Go figure!:rolleyes:

If the intended use for the data were explicitly explained up front, I would see no problem with this sort of quiz. To the extent it is "sneeky", I find it offensive.:(

Interesting article. Didn't know there was a nefarious motive behind it. Regardless, I took the test and came out with 31 years old... I'm almost 39.

Back
Top Bottom