Retire in Michigan... Blue Cross and Blue Shield

TallCotton

Dryer sheet wannabe
You might wonder why anyone would, and I ask myself the same question also, but I might... IF I can get health benefits.

The way I understand it, any legal resident of Michigan can get health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I mean no matter what their health status, age etc., and at regular group rates.

This is how I understand it. I need to know now if this is the real deal. I won't chance contacting them directly. I need to hear from someone who has direct experience with purchasing MI's BC&BS.

It's like there is a Michigan law that makes BC&BS have to do this. Is this the high risk pool that others I've seen here mention? What's this all about?

TallCotton said:
The way I understand it, any legal resident of Michigan can get health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I mean no matter what their health status, age etc., and at regular group rates.

Tall, here is a consumer guide to information on health insurance in Michigan:

http://www.healthinsuranceinfo.net/mi00.html

You will need to do your own research, but as I understand it you CAN get BC/BS coverage in Michigan regardless of your health status (see the above link). However, rates are "community" based and therefore are going to probably be sky high.

TallCotton said:
It's like there is a Michigan law that makes BC&BS have to do this. Is this the high risk pool that others I've seen here mention? What's this all about?

No, according to the link I pasted above, Michigan has no high risk pool. As in some other states, they chose to go another direction.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a Michigan resident, nor do I play one on TV. All I think I know about Michigan health insurance is what I read on the internet. ;)

In Mass it works that way too. I buy it thru my (now mothballed) one-person corp, but its automatically approved, with no underwriting, and premium is set based on family size and age. Mine costs $750/month for a family of 6 with a $5K deductible (routine care is paid for w/out deductible applying, i.e. well child care, checkups routine tests etc).

Nice thing is I can cancel whenever I want, and stil be guaranteed re-issue when I need it...without underwriting. I didn't realize how nice that was until I relaized what a hard time some people in other states have.

This is before the new health care law took effect...I assume it is even easier now.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, it won't be cheap. As far as I can determine, about $650.00 per month for major medical for one person, no prescriptions.

I'm currently employed and my coverage is through my employer, but I do have an S corp registered in Nevada. I'm not sure I understand you, but are you saying there is some benefit here that I may be able to take advantage of?

I need every angle I can work here.

Not sure if it is an angle or not, but it is definitely easier and cheaper in Mass to buy a "group" policy thru a corp/business, even if you are the only one in the group.

Some states do not allow 1-person groups - so its worth checking into in Michigan both as an individual and as a business.

Back
Top Bottom