Running can be good, but not too much

She feels she has to critique every runner that we pass.

I see lots of runners with what I consider strange form, but I can't imagine myself ever commenting on it. I feel that if my own form isn't perfect (and few of us are), I have no right to criticize anyone else's.

Instead, when I see an unusual running form, I just use it as a reminder to myself to pay more attention to my own.

When you have a leg length discrepancy, you can run, but you probably shouldn't.

As a young woman, I ended up with hip sprains - trying to "learn to run" because it was expected of me. Guys wanted me to go running with them. Nobody wanted to go for a fast walk, which I excelled at. Walking? Pah! That's for old people! So I went through all sorts of nonsense - sports medicine evaluations, trying different shoes, lifts...nothing worked. Fact is, I was suffering from a middle-class expectation, not a disability per se. I was not meant to run.

This may be a major reason why I married someone older...none of that running nonsense, and happy to go for a 4-mile, 4-mph walk.

Amethyst

I am a fervent fan of running. I enjoy looking out the window, or walking down the street, and seeing so many very attractive young women wearing those wonderful tight leggings, running down the street. Many of them have excellent form too; in fact most of them do. ( I am referring to running form, not their always admirable, spectacular female form.)

Ha
Being passed by female runners while I'm out there on my runs is one of the benefits of getting older.

I am a fervent fan of running. I enjoy looking out the window, or walking down the street, and seeing so many very attractive young women wearing those wonderful tight leggings, running down the street. Many of them have excellent form too; in fact most of them do. ( I am referring to running form, not their always admirable, spectacular female form.)

Ha

Open your raincoat. Show 'em what you got. That'll put you in solid.

Open your raincoat. Show 'em what you got. That'll put you in solid.

Well someone finally figured out Ha's true exercise, although he professes rowing:LOL:

One week until my first half-marathon. Alternate between excited/nervous/scared.

Hope to be sub-2hours...probably a bit delusional. ;)
Yes, good luck! Those feelings are very normal. Try to get a good night's sleep 2 nights before, because it can be tough to sleep the night before a race. Don't get swept into a faster pace that you should run at the start. A first mile under 8 minutes will probably mean you'll be walking at the end and missing your sub-2 goal. You should also be taking it easy this week so that your legs are fresh for the race. (Apologies for the unsolicited advice but I can't help it! Always nice to see new runners going after it!)

I see lots of runners with what I consider strange form, but I can't imagine myself ever commenting on it. I feel that if my own form isn't perfect (and few of us are), I have no right to criticize anyone else's.

Instead, when I see an unusual running form, I just use it as a reminder to myself to pay more attention to my own.

+1

I've never said anything to anyone, nor would I. Not my business. I remember a girl at a CrossFit gym who - mid-workout - told me I held my arms too high when I ran. At that point, I was trying to survive the workout, but I wanted to ask her what qualification she had to coach strangers on how to run, let alone strangers who've been running competitively their whole damn lives!

One week until my first half-marathon. Alternate between excited/nervous/scared.

Hope to be sub-2hours...probably a bit delusional. ;)

Good luck, and RunningBum above has posted some great advice. Your race time is not the important thing. It's important that you enjoy yourself and stay healthy and injury free.

Back
Top Bottom