Scam spiritual healers

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I respect an individual's spirituality, whatever it may be, but a good friend went off the deep end and began visiting these weird spiritual guru healers overseas. You know the type: crystals, chants, hypnotism to cure everything from gout to cancer.

Of course, my friend got no better, but the healers were successful in extracting a great deal of money and making them dependent on repeated visits to themselves and other healers, some in the U.S. I guess there's nothing that can be done, since it's an uregulated business, and we're each responsible for our ourselves, but it's a real shame that these health scams go on.

It's ironic that if I wanted to provide legitimate medical services to a sick person, I would be required to have proper medical training. But if I wanted to provide hokey snake oil methods to the same sick person, that's OK.

I have a friend who is into the essence oils and crystals thing. I've learned not to sneeze around her. ;)
She used to try to get me to sample [-]then buy [/-] this stuff. I finally had to gently say "I really don't want any."

I believe there are some substances that w*rk (like mint for an upset stomach) on minor ailments.
But if it's serious, yours truly likes to see that Board Certified medical certificate hanging on the wall of the exam room.

I believe there are some substances that w*rk (like mint for an upset stomach) on minor ailments.
But if it's serious, yours truly likes to see that Board Certified medical certificate hanging on the wall of the exam room.

Exactly. I don't mind the use of homeopathic herbs, etc, for minor ailments. Some of them may work, or may have a placebo effect. But after my friend's experience I was shocked when I searched around and found such a large network of "professional" [-]healers[/-] scam artists treating major illnesses such as cancer, blindness, etc, with crystals, psychic surgery, and other voodoo.

Some of them hide under the freedom of religion clause, claiming they are practicing a sacred art. Others hide behind giving their services for "free,"only asking for donations. But by the time someone is in their grasp, seduced by the promise of a cure that's beyond medical science, it's pretty hard for them not to give a generous donation.

As an example, put "theta healer" into google and you'll see what I mean.

This is really hard. I'm watching a friend of mine go through treatment for a serious illness, after she delayed conventional treatment for a year to try some alternative therapies. They didn't work as promised, her illness has progressed in the interim, and now she is following more conventional therapy, with a good outlook (but not as good as if she'd been treated for it right off the bat).

As someone who would not have made the decision she did, I find myself conflicted a bit: I am really glad she has the personal fortitude and strength to make non-traditional choices (and she has her whole life, done things that were non-traditional); at the same time, I don't always agree with them. Helping her without being judgmental of her decisions is easier than I thought it would be, but it's something I'm conscious of and careful of.

I think people have the right to choose their own path; I also think that people who profess to be "healers," whether M.D. or others, have a responsibility to tell their patients what we scientifically know, what we don't know, the risks of certain courses of action and the potential consequences of their decisions.

I think a higher standard of ethics applies to them, because they are in a caretaker role and their patients become emotionally dependent on them for hope, and for a cure.

I don't know if you ever saw that stuff that was put out by one of the major networks on Benny Hinn?

Anyway it pretty much exposed him as a total fraud.....and you would think this would end his career.

But he is still at it and doing fine.

Psychics are the same way.

Having these people on major TV networks gives not only them but their "craft" legitimacy that it should not have.

When I was pretty young I wanted to stay far away from pharmaceutical drugs (I still do) so I saw an alternative "doctor" and I lost a lot of money with no results.

The one guy I saw that does a lot of this quackery is IMO nothing more than a criminal but this is all legal!

If something has nothing more than testimonials to prove it is effective be very skeptical.

Even if you don't know how something works you can prove IF it works!

Jim

...Psychics are the same way.
Every year, there is a Psychic Fair held locally. I've never attended, but I'm going to one of these days.
One of my side interests is the study of body language and analysis of verbal output, i.e. what people say and how they say it.
"Reading people" was a skill I learned that came in very handy while w*rking. So easy once you know the classic signs.
All you have to do is sit back and watch.
Just for fun, I'd love to do a reverse on some of these psychics, who depend on the physical and facial
reactions of people to verbal "bait", to practice their craft.

"Reading people" was a skill I learned that came in very handy while w*rking. So easy once you know the classic signs.
All you have to do is sit back and watch.
Just for fun, I'd love to do a reverse on some of these psychics, who depend on the physical and facial
reactions of people to verbal "bait", to practice their craft.

Show up seeking advice on Granma's multi-million dollar estate, in your burqua.... :LOL:

ta,
mew

Urchina
I think people have the right to choose their own path; I also think that people who profess to be "healers," whether M.D. or others, have a responsibility to tell their patients what we scientifically know, what we don't know, the risks of certain courses of action and the potential consequences of their decisions.

I think a higher standard of ethics applies to them, because they are in a caretaker role and their patients become emotionally dependent on them for hope, and for a cure.
I agree, Urchina, and abuse of power happens in all professions. The old saying of ’buyer beware’ still holds true today.

Billy and I went to Huautla, Mexico for a first hand account of tracking down magic mushrooms. You can read about the world famous and highly respected Dona Julieta here.

Every culture has their shamans and healers - whether it’s our own Native Americans or the Aboriginals in Australia. I think it’s part of the human experience. That path isn't for everyone that's for sure.

Best,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Freebird

They had shown where Sylvia Browne the famous Psychic was channeling the spirits of the living!

This kid goes missing and she says he is dead and he is not.

Or one time she told a lady her daughter was sold into slavery in I think Japan and here her daughter was dead a few miles from her home in the Unites States.

Too many more to list.

But this does not stop people from paying them.

And what you are saying is how it works.

They do this a lot also.

Psychic....was your fathers name John?

Victim......No that was my brothers name.

Psychic....ok that makes sense because they are showing me the Brother sign!

Jim

Freebird

And what you are saying is how it works.
They do this a lot also.
Psychic....was your fathers name John?
Victim......No that was my brothers name.
Psychic....ok that makes sense because they are showing me the Brother sign!
Jim
Essentially, yes. This is the "interrogation" method, asking questions to extract a reaction.
There are signs we all give (unconsciously) when we are in agreement (slightest head nod or eyes widening), or disagreement (eyebrows tighten slightly or looking down to avoid conflict) with a statement spoken to them. The eyes are usually the best giveaway.
I read a scientific article about this many years ago in Discover magazine and I was intrigued. I started watching for the "signs" with people at meetings at w*rk, and sure enough, it was universal. Even with people who think they can deadpan and not show their emotions. Body language tells it all.
Try it sometime in a group. Just be careful not to stare. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom