Shingles vaccine

The few people that I know who got shingles got it between 50 and 60... only one that I know over 60....

My brother got a terrible case of shingles at age 64, so it can happen.

I got shingles at age 7, after a (believe it or not) severe case of chicken pox closely following an even more severe case of measles at age 6. Age 6 was the pits. Shingles was no picnic but I think symptoms in children are more bearable than in adults (or so I was told at the time).

Last edited:
My brother got a terrible case of shingles at age 64, so it can happen.

I got shingles at age 7, after a (believe it or not) severe case of chicken pox closely following an even more severe case of measles at age 6. Age 6 was the pits. Shingles was no picnic but I think symptoms in children are more bearable than in adults (or so I was told at the time).

Oh, I think that most people get shingle after age 60.... but enough get it earlier that I was willing to pay the $200 even though I am 53.... I do not want to go through it if that is all it costs...

However, there is no guarantee I will not... just playing the odds...

Oh, I think that most people get shingle after age 60.... but enough get it earlier that I was willing to pay the $200 even though I am 53.... I do not want to go through it if that is all it costs...

Good choice ! I got it at 49 and shingles was the most painful thing I ever had .

I was at the doctor today for routine check up and we discussed this again. Her option for me was since I'm healthy and my immune system is not comprised is that I should not worry. I'm not sure if I had chicken pox but most of us did as kids so I assume i did too. If I worked around people in a nursing home or hospital then she suggested I get the shot as Shingles can be caught from someone that has it. Since I'm healthy and avoid people and seldom are around them and never go to hospitals or nursing homes I'm probably safe. I could get the shot as a precaution but it doesn't sound like I'm at risk. I also live a very stress free life being retired and avoiding people :dance: so that's another factor I don't have to worry about.

I should call BC/BS and see what they cover. I hate taking any medications (not on anything) so if I can avoid this I will.

I would feel the same way, except:

1. I'm not stressed now, but perhaps something could happen that would cause stress.

2. Shingles sounds so awful.

3. The vaccine seems safe.

4. We can afford $400.

Here's what I've found.

According to the pharmacist at Rite Aid (California), no prescription is necessary.

If you walk in and get it at Rite Aid, the cost is $200.

CVS will not give it to you if you are under 60 years old.

Blue cross covers it. We're below our deductible, and I can't find out how much it would be with the "negotiated rate." The pharmacist was relatively clueless about the insurance issue.

Our doc recommends it.

I can prove I am 60.

I talked to the pharmacist ~3 months ago & he never mentioned prescription.
I see people here saying they didn't need a prescription.
I see doctors saying people have always needed a prescription.

What will a doctor test me for to see if I am worthy of a shingles vaccine?

How messed up is our health system?

Here's what I've found.

According to the pharmacist at Rite Aid (California), no prescription is necessary.

If you walk in and get it at Rite Aid, the cost is $200.

CVS will not give it to you if you are under 60 years old.

Blue cross covers it. We're below our deductible, and I can't find out how much it would be with the "negotiated rate." The pharmacist was relatively clueless about the insurance issue.

Our doc recommends it.

In January 2010, I tried to obtain insurance/contract prices for blood tests because I was attempting to determine whether the cash price at one lab was better than the contract price at another lab (Quest) which I would have to pay out of pocket using my new "off brand" high deductible policy (which I no longer have).

I went around and around with my insurance company and Quest before I finally learned I needed to provide the :confused: code (can't recall the same but I think it is seven digits) to the insurance company and they would give me the percentage discount. To determine my cost, I obtained the :confused: code and the "rack rate" test price from Quest and applied the insurance discount provided by the one helpful human at my insurance company.

When I first contacted the insurance company, I asked if they could give me a price for each test to which they responded "no." It took me several phone calls to learn I was asking the wrong question as the insurance company didn't provide prices but they did provide the discount percentage.

Apparently these :confused: codes are the secret decoder ring required to speak insurance-ese. What a convoluted system.

I would feel the same way, except:

1. I'm not stressed now, but perhaps something could happen that would cause stress.

2. Shingles sounds so awful.

3. The vaccine seems safe.

4. We can afford $400.

+1

I'm getting it when I hit the big 5-0

As RiT already mentioned until the chicken pox vaccine came out(1995), most people have been exposed to/had chicken pox by 18 y.o. whether it be mild, never officially diagnosed or forgotten about.
You can't get shingles itself from someone who has shingles, but you can get the chicken pox from them which could lead to shingles.

I can prove I am 60.

Call your local pharmacist again and ask point blank. S/he might not be immunization certified yet and might not know all the specifics (I didn't until the training). At least they would be able to refer you to another pharmacy in the area that is giving them.

I don't work for Walgreen's [-]thank goodness[/-] but from what I understand they are the biggest retail chain specifically pushing for ALL their pharmacists to be immunization certified.

I got my vaccine today. Riteaid checked with BC and told me I had to pay the full price. So it was $199. Lena's going to find out whether she can get a discount because she volunteers at a hospital.

Mayohealth.org says: "But if you're younger than age 60, hold off on the shingles vaccine until you reach that age."
WebMD says: "The CDC recommends a single dose of the shingles vaccine for people aged 50 and older..."
Since the approval for 50-59 just came out a few months ago, I wonder if it'll take a few more months for all the websites to start reflecting that recommendation.

Like TromboneAl says, we can afford it.

It's like Vinnie the Shark asking you whether you'd like to pay $400 or endure a painful beating. I got enough of the latter on active duty, and now I have enough of the former to make my own choice.

Three notes:

1. Thanks to Khan and the ER Forum for bringing this to my attention. Besides saving me tens of thousands of $, this forum has helped me in making many decisions.

2. In interpreting this experiment:

Zoster vaccine was studied in approximately 38,000 individuals throughout the United States who were age 60 years and older as part of its pre-licensure testing. Half received the vaccine and half received a placebo. Study participants were followed for an average of three years to see if they developed shingles and, if they did, how long the pain lasted.

Researchers found that the vaccine reduced the occurrence of shingles by about 50% among persons age 60 years and older. The vaccine most effective for those age 60-69 years (64%); effectiveness declined with increasing age to 41% for those age 70-79 years and 18% for those age 80 years and older.

I mistakenly concluded that having the vaccine early would do a better job of protecting me when I was older. However, it could just as well mean that effectiveness is lower at at 80 no matter when the vaccine is administered. That is, they didn't test the effectiveness in 80-year-olds who received the vaccine at age 60.

3. I remember once having a case of food poisoning, and thinking "I'd have given $10,000 not to have had that." I think of that whenever considering a vaccine or other preventative treatment.

I received it a few months ago, from my PCP, at age 63.

It was covered by my insurance; however cost was a minor concern.

After reading articles on the condition (and I'm one of those who had the pox in the 50's, along with the drawn curtains, low lights, and mittens tied on my hands (so I would not scratch, and cause scars), my "history" made the decision a "no brainer".

In addition, the story of how many folks my PCP had to send to a "pain management" practice, after the occurance of shingles, sealed the deal for me.

I can prove I am 60.

Khan,

I just talked to a Walgreens pharmacist in Kettering when I went in there for something else. Rx IS needed in Ohio. Retail price is $219.

Could you go to a Walgreen's Minute Clinic or whatever they're called--the MD/nurse practitioner should be able to prescribe and administer the vaccination, I would think. Worth a call?

Could you go to a Walgreen's Minute Clinic or whatever they're called--the MD/nurse practitioner should be able to prescribe and administer the vaccination, I would think. Worth a call?

I think I'll try. What a bunch of hoops to jump through.

This has been a very interesting thread, thanks for all the good information.

I was planning to go for a physical when I get back to the US in October so I will definitely discuss this with the Doc and I will probably opt to have this vaccine. (I'm 56)

I think I'll try. What a bunch of hoops to jump through.
Just wondering if you have health insurance, and a PCP (Primary Care Physician)?

I had the vaccine given during one of my 6-month appointments (I'm diabetic) and the only cost was $15 - my co-payment for the office visit.

Kaiser (Calif) still has the shingles vaccine on their immunization list for age 60. I'll be able to get mine in October and I plan on getting it then.

Kaiser (Calif) still has the shingles vaccine on their immunization list for age 60. I'll be able to get mine in October and I plan on getting it then.

Kaiser in Colorado gave me the vaccine last week after I read this thread and asked my doctor. I'm 57.

"My world-class shingles vaccine."

Equipped with the printout from the FDA website, I waited at my local clinic until they started their screening.

MedTech: "110/65, you must really enjoy being retired. Why are you seeing us today? What's that red streak on your arm?"
Me: "Thanks, just a scratch from bougainvillea pruning. I'd like to get a Zostavax vaccination."
(In retrospect, my remarks and MedTech's screening sheet must have somehow been worded to give the impression that I think I have shingles.)
20 minutes later in the exam room--
Doc: "Hi, I'm the doctor. Are you feeling OK today?"
Me: "Um, yes?"
Doc: "Are you in any pain?"
Me: "No, did they tell you that I'm here to get a shingles vaccine?"
Doc: "Yes, but I'm wondering how you determined that you had shingles?"
(Comedic hilarity ensues.)

Once we decide that I probably don't have shingles, it turns out that the doctor knows how to give a vaccine but has no idea how the clinic obtains it. His staff eventually sets him straight and he writes me a prescription, advising me to go next door to the pharmacy for the shot.

Pharmacist: "I'm sorry, we don't accept Tricare for Zostavax."
Me: "That's OK, I'm willing to pay for it."
Pharmacist: "$200?!?"
Me: "Yes please, unless you have a sale coming up?"
Pharmacist: "Ha ha, let me get you an appointment for the shot. How about September?"

It turns out that getting a prescription might have been the easy part. Finding the actual vial in stock could be a challenge. Later today I'll be consulting our local Navy clinic, Tripler, Schofield, and perhaps Long's Drugs.

Back
Top Bottom