Shingles vaccine

By coincidence, I got mine yesterday.
DW and I have the same PCP, and she went in to see him last week for a routine checkup. He gave her a scrip for each of us for Zostavax. We had both had shingles ten years ago, and we never want it again.

I checked online and found that neither Medicare nor TFL covered it (Tricare covers it if you get it from your doctor, but very few have it on hand since it needs to be kept frozen)

Went into my local Kroger supermarket and visited their pharmacy dept.

"Do you give the shingles vaccine here?"
"Sure do, and we can call your doctor and get a prescription faxed over to us."

"Never mind, I have one right here."
"Great, that will be $225, and it's a once in a lifetime immunization. Just fill out this little form."

Got the shot (didn't even feel the needle go in) and was out of there in less than ten minutes.

By coincidence, I got mine yesterday.
DW and I have the same PCP, and she went in to see him last week for a routine checkup. He gave her a scrip for each of us for Zostavax. We had both had shingles ten years ago, and we never want it again.

I checked online and found that neither Medicare nor TFL covered it (Tricare covers it if you get it from your doctor, but very few have it on hand since it needs to be kept frozen)

Went into my local Kroger supermarket and visited their pharmacy dept.

"Do you give the shingles vaccine here?"
"Sure do, and we can call your doctor and get a prescription faxed over to us."

"Never mind, I have one right here."
"Great, that will be $225, and it's a once in a lifetime immunization. Just fill out this little form."

Got the shot (didn't even feel the needle go in) and was out of there in less than ten minutes.

Just as a possible difference.... I got mine last year at age 52... the pharmacist said that I would probably need another one in about 10 years or so... that for 'younger' folks we should have a booster.... I got time to determine if this is true or not...

Later today I'll be consulting our local Navy clinic, Tripler, Schofield, and perhaps Long's Drugs.
I got mine at Safeway several months ago. Both Long's and Safeway in the past have been helpful at trying to locate stuff they didn't have on hand, calling around to find out where I could go to get it.

Doc: "Yes, but I'm wondering how you determined that you had shingles?"

You should have said "It was easy -- I just looked under the photovoltaic panels, and there they were!"

I got mine at Safeway several months ago. Both Long's and Safeway in the past have been helpful at trying to locate stuff they didn't have on hand, calling around to find out where I could go to get it.
I should probably focus on filling my prescriptions at pharmacies that don't have wine stores occupying most of the floor space.

You should have said "It was easy -- I just looked under the photovoltaic panels, and there they were!"
Nah, no sense of humor in that place!

I got this a few years ago along with a pneumonia shot.

Both are once in a lifetime deals.

I did have to go to the local Army med center to get mine as it was not available at the Army health clinic. The Dr did have to perscribe it.

Is the pneumonia one really lifetime? I got one last year and thought the nurse said to get it every few years, but I could be wrong on that.

Is the pneumonia one really lifetime? I got one last year and thought the nurse said to get it every few years, but I could be wrong on that.

Here's the section from Medline Plus:
You need at least one shot of the vaccine. One dose works for most people. You may need a second dose if:

• You had the first shot more than 5 years ago and you are now over age 65
  • Your immune system is weakened
  • You have chronic kidney failure or nephritic syndrome
  • You have sickle cell disease
  • Your spleen has been removed

I got my shot recently. about $240!! My insurance paid for about $200 of it, thankfully, but I would have got it anyway. My friend had shingles and he suffered for months with pain and discomfort. He would have paid $1000 for a cure.

My doctor told me the vaccine is very hard to get. They got their second shipment of the year in July - 10 doses. I got dose number 6. He expected the supply to last less than a week.

Here's the section from Medline Plus:

Thanks, I am diabetic, but do not believe I have any of the listed conditions, unless the kidney thing would somehow apply to a diabetic.

The news that the shingles vaccine is covered for those age 50 to 59 lit a fire under me and I decided to see what hoops I have to jump though to get it.

In my case, in Michigan with BCBS, the shot is covered but only for age 60+ and only if given in a doctor's office. On the other hand, I can just drive to the local Walgreens and they will stick me for $220, no prescription, no age limit. I just turned 59, so I think I'll just go with Walgreens both for the extra year of protection and the reduced hassle.

UPDATE
When I went to Walgreens today, the pharmacist wouldn't give me the vaccine because I was under 60. I stood my ground, explaining the recent FDA decision. he eventually backed down, but not before my blood pressure took a hike. My advice, lie about your age. They don't card you.

Last edited:
mystang52;1086657[COLOR=darkred said:
]The shingles vaccine has live virus in it.[/COLOR] That is no problem for healthy people, but the vaccine cannot be taken by anyone with a compromised immunity system.

Now that got my attention and makes me a little nervous. :hide:

That being said my mother had shingles around her eye and forehead. It was very painful and left her with a bad habit of constantly rubbing her eye red until she died about 15 years later.

Don't remember if I had chicken pox when I was little but probably did if it was popular in the 50's (now I'm 63). I guess I should ask about it when I see the doctor next week. I've endured enough pain the last few years. Don't need any more for awhile/ever.

For those on Oahu, Long's has the vaccine in stock. $224 (no general excise tax!).

Tricare doesn't cover the vaccine but Tripler Army Medical Center's Immunology clinic will happily vaccinate military & families at certain days/times of the week. PM me if you want details & phone numbers. I'm planning to get it done next week.

I went to a HMO for a check up and they gave me the shingles vaccine. I didn't even know they had one but it was free so I took it. They did it on my underarm and it turn red and hard for a couple of weeks. I was pleased with the HMO it only cost a copay for each visit and covered everything. They did two mammograms and a needle biopsy, pap test , 2 diabetes tests, and shots for a total cost of about $90. Nothing wrong with me so a waste of money except the vaccinations.

They did two mammograms and a needle biopsy, pap test , 2 diabetes tests, and shots for a total cost of about $90. Nothing wrong with me so a waste of money except the vaccinations.

What value do you place on peace of mind? $90 sounds like good value.

Last edited:
I went to a HMO for a check up and they gave me the shingles vaccine. I didn't even know they had one but it was free so I took it. They did it on my underarm and it turn red and hard for a couple of weeks. I was pleased with the HMO it only cost a copay for each visit and covered everything. They did two mammograms and a needle biopsy, pap test , 2 diabetes tests, and shots for a total cost of about $90. Nothing wrong with me so a waste of money except the vaccinations.

Underarm? Owwww...is that the normal place for this vaccine?

Mine was in the back of my upper arm and just barely under the skin.

Mine was in the back of my upper arm and just barely under the skin.

That is the normal place, subcutaneous around the triceps muscle.

I found a place that administers them for $187 cash price. The name of the place sounds like "Kostco" :D

The vaccine is a live attenuated virus, which means while the virus is live, it has been modified so it cannot replicate. This is why you might get a slight immune response. But that is the whole reasoning/response around getting a vaccination, your body/immune system has been primed by this antigen to put up a fight for when the real disease shows up.

I went to a HMO for a check up and they gave me the shingles vaccine. I didn't even know they had one but it was free so I took it. They did it on my underarm

That was a good idea. Now you can be sure you'll never get shingles in you underarm.

I meant the back of my arm on the underside not my arm pit.

I got mine last week. I was at the Dr. for a regular appointment in Sept. and got the flu and pneumonia vaccines. I mentioned that my insurance plan covers the shingles vaccine at 100% only if given at the doctor's office. My Dr. said she'd look into it and let me know.

A month or so later I got a call that my vaccine was in and that I should call for an appointment. They have vaccination clinic days so I got in a few weeks later and got my injection.

I haven't seen the claim on the insurance site yet, but our plan info said it's paid at 100% and you have to be 50 years old.

I was in Colorado a couple of years ago for an extended camping trip. I picked up a local paper and saw an article about health for seniors. It noted that on Saturday morning, they were having a health program for seniors at the local hospital and were giving free shingles vaccinations. DH and I attended, not knowing if we qualified since we were not Colorado residents, but they said it was a federal grant and residency was not an issue. We both got the vaccination. It was at the end of summer and they cautioned us not to get the flu shot for at least 3 months.

I gather there is no official policy anywhere?

I gather there is no official policy anywhere?

There is no single "official policy". It varies by State, and by your insurance provider. Why not call your local county health dept and insurance provider?

A Shingles Vaccine is Available - Shingles Prevention Advocate

However, some insurance plans don't provide benefits when Zostavax is administered by a pharmacist. Some states require a prescription from a physician before a pharmacist can provide vaccination.

-ERD50

Just to follow up on my earlier posts in this thread, I got the vaccine yesterday at Tripler. No fuss, in & out in 15 minutes. No detectable side effects.

If you're a veteran then I'd highly recommend checking with the VA. If you're a military retiree then you should talk to a military treatment facility. They may argue about the new age 50 limit, but your persistence could save you a couple hundred bucks...

Back
Top Bottom