Sore Feet in the Morning.........

Had the same problem years ago and spent about $500 for foot doctor and special inserts that didn't work worth a darn. Saw an infomercial on phase four orthodics and bought some for about $20. They hurt when I first started wearing them but I got use to them and now I swear by them, have them in all my shoes and no more foot pain, ever.

phase four orthotics, Medical, Special Needs, Health Beauty items on eBay.com

Just wondering if Rich or someone could comment.

It has been going on for a couple months. I wake up with the bottom of my feet hurting.

Once I get up and around and moving, it feels fine. Next morning, same thing.

Thoughts? It happens whether I did physical activity or not............

That is how my plantar fasciitis was. Whatever you have, take it seriously.

The tricky thing was, the flareup often didn't happen until the next day, so if your activity varies day to day you have to keep a log to figure out what's causing the problems. Bicycling was one of the things that wrecked me. Who woulda thought a non-weight-bearing activity would do it?

Last edited:
:D:D

Please send all payments to the Rich_in_Tampa Retirement Fund.

Hope the foot settles down fast.

Funny, the sheet of exercises she gave me to do is identical to the stretches we did in college cross country.........

I'm on Alleve, icing it, wearing shoes with good arch supports, etc.........

Bicycling was one of the things that wrecked me. Who woulda thought a non-weight-bearing activity would do it?

Well, depending on how you SLEEP, it can make the problem worse too...........:eek:

BTW, my GP is funny. After the physical, she looks at me and says: "You can lose 20 pounds my next year's exam, can't you":confused: :eek:

Had the same problem years ago and spent about $500 for foot doctor and special inserts that didn't work worth a darn. Saw an infomercial on phase four orthodics and bought some for about $20. They hurt when I first started wearing them but I got use to them and now I swear by them, have them in all my shoes and no more foot pain, ever.

phase four orthotics, Medical, Special Needs, Health Beauty items on eBay.com

Same for me. Broke my foot about five years ago and have had problems ever since. Doc prescribed custom fitted orthotics, but they didn't fit in most of my shoes and were just very uncomfortable. Saw the infomercial and bought the Phase Four orthotics at the local pharmacy for about $20...they fit in all my shoes and after I got used to them no more foot pain!

Want2Retire's suggestion of gently stretching your toes towards your nose before getting out of bed was suggested to me by my podiatrist. (It's helpful). Actually, he suggested I put a band around my foot and then pull it towards me.

Other suggestions from the podiatrist:
1. Aleve

2. Freeze a bottle of water (plastic container) and then roll it under your foot for 5-15 minutes, 2-4 times a day. (After the first 10 seconds the shock of the cold wears off).

I have problems with PF, too. Here are the things that I found:

First, shoes that fit. Most department stores carry "D" width shoes; if they have wide widths they are typically 4E. My feet, however are 8-2E size, and I'd been buying shoes that were either too wide or too narrow to fit well. Now I go to a specialty place and spend the extra money. Life is too short to save a few bucks on shoes and hurt every time I walk. I try to buy them on sale.

Oddly enough the shoes I have the most problem finding are for an industry that makes a big deal out of proper fit: hiking boots. I spend a long time looking, but then they last me three to five years, so I just bite the bullet and spend the money.

When I was first diagnosed I got specialized orthotics, which were uncomfortable to wear at first, but felt better over time and got me feet into reasonable shape. Now I buy "Sole" brand arch supports, which you heat up and form to match the bottom of your foot, and replace the factory insoles in each of my shoes.

Last, I do stretches every morning when I get up. It's my insurance against a variety of chronic problems that do show up in my back (left side tendon injuries at L2-3-4 from an old gymnastics injury), shoulder (adhesive capsulitis, likely from the same source or an old motorcycle injury), and feet (PF) if I don't take care of myself.

Sore Feet in the Morning....

The best shoes for my PF are Earth Spirit from Walmart. Not every style - but the closed toe, open back works great or the plain pump. They're not the most stylish shoes, but they have really good arch support and when I wear them, I have no problem with PF. I could barely walk when I found them about 5 years ago. Good price too.

As a runner, I experience pain on the back and not the bottom of the heel, and therefore was diagnosed not as PF but as Achilles tendonitis. The night after running I'll wear a night splint and that does the trick.

Yup - PF is what it sounds like - my husband is still dealing with this - very painful and takes awhile to heal - do what the doctors say on this one

I saw the foot doc back in 01 or 02 and he told me I had PF. I would hate getting out of bed in the morning because of the pain.

Food Doc recommended some inserts which I still use today. Look up SPENCO hard arch supports. Gives arch support, which really helps.

Oh, the other thing I've heard is to not go barefoot, even around the house.

I was diagnosed with PF about 3 years ago. Tried ice, rest, inserts, no bare feet, stretching, and night splints all to no avail. Decided to get a steriod shot. The shot was in the forward part of my heel in the center. It worked! The foot Doctor said it will cover an area of about the size of a quarter. Two months later I got a second shot more towards the inner part of my heel to cover that tendon. A year and a half later I feel great, I do wear custom heel inserts all the time just to prevent a reoccurance. I do stretch my achilles every morning before I even get out of bed in the morning. Good Luck.

I never heard of any of this. thats crazy...my feet only hurt when i was a waiter in college lol

I never heard of any of this. thats crazy...my feet only hurt when i was a waiter in college lol

Consider yourself very lucky! Hope you never join this club...you have no idea how much painful feet affect your quality of life!

Vinnie, Let me guess, your still in your 30's or 40's? Wait until you hit 50. I used to think I will always feel good then I'll die. Not so, if your smart you'll start eating right, exercise, get yearly physical's, take your heartburn medicine, and wear good shoes just to keep the demon at bay starting in your 40's. I am 53 and feel pretty good, but I spend a LOT more time and energy taking care of me so I do feel good than I ever thought I would. I have no illusions about my own mortality anymore. Best of luck.

Murg,

It only gets worse (63 next week).

Did my 3 miles on the treadmill last week (I think it was about 30 below wind chill - otherwise I hate treadmills, and will bundle up and walk outside if at all possible) Anyway, stupid me, I wore my around the house Crocs. Bad Idea. The soft rubber soles grab too much on the treadmill belt, and they are too loose to give any support. Can you say medial collateral ligament tear? Actually, after about 8 days, I think I may heal up, after all.

I had PF for years and tried all the conventional cures without much success. What finally worked was warming up the bottom of my feet before activity. I used a bag of wheat berries warmed up in the microwave but an electric heating pad would probably work too.

Back
Top Bottom