Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like all of Sachel Paige's sayings, he sums up my feelings on running. Gave up running as soon as I was out of the Army. One of my favorite is Item three, from his Official Quotes page.

The other one is "don't look back.... a ways down the list, but in in my priorities.

Bold is by yours truly.

"Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter."

"I ain't ever had a job, I just always played baseball."

"I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench."

"I never rush myself. See, they can't start the game without me."

"I use my single windup, my double windup, my triple windup, my hesitation windup, my no windup. I also use my step-n-pitch-it, my submariner, my sidearmer and my bat dodger. Man's got to do what he's got to do."

"If a man can beat you, walk him."

"It's funny what a few no-hitters do for a body."

"My feet ain't got nothing to do with my nickname, but when folks get it in their heads that a feller's got big feet, soon the feet start looking big."

"One time I snuck a ball on with me and when I went to winding up, I threw one of them balls to first and one to second. I was so smooth I picked off both runners and fanned the batter without that ump or the other team even knowing it."

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second class citizen to a second class immortal."

"There never was a man on earth who pitched as much as me. But the more I pitched, the stronger my arm would get."

"When a batter swings and I see his knees move, I can tell just what his weaknesses are then I just put the ball where I know he can't hit it."

"Ain’t no man can avoid being born average, but there ain’t no man got to be common."

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I would toss one that ain’t never been seen by this generation."

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move."

"They said I was the greatest pitcher they ever saw…I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t give me no justice."

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

"Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines."

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

"Money and women. They're two of the strongest things in the world. The things you do for a woman you wouldn't do for anything else. Same with money."

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."

"You win a few, you lose a few. Some get rained out. But you got to dress for all of them."

"My pitching philosophy is simple; you gotta keep the ball off the fat part of the bat."

"I never had a job. I always played baseball."

"Mother always told me, if you tell a lie, always rehearse it. If it don't sound good to you, it won't sound good to no one else."

"Don't eat fried food, it angries up the blood."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

At age 65, I continue to run. I completed a (slow) marathon earlier this year, and have scheduled three marathons for next year. I train properly but I rarely run two days in a row to give myself good recovery time.

I am a recovered heart patient, having had angioplasty (with two stents) 10 years ago and two ablation operations for atrial fibrillation (in 2007 and 2008). My cardiologist said that my regular running probably kept me alive. My heart is now doing well and I am symptom free.

I will keep running as long as my body permits. The articular cartilage in my knees is in excellent condition, and my orthopedic surgeons said that, as far as my knees are concerned, I can continue to run for the rest of my life.

I also try to do a triathlon a year, which I believe is a funner and more sane athletic activity. But I am a runner out of habit and tradition, so running will remain my main sport.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am no longer convinced that exercise helps with weight:

Does Exercise Really Make Us Thinner? -- New York Magazine

And for help in physically reading articles like the ones cited here:

Readability - An Arc90 Lab Experiment
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Bicycing? Great for cardio if you go fast or climb hills.
I wish I found swimming so easy. I can barely do a lap before needing a break, but I can run for miles.
Cycling is also easier on the joints that running.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I am no longer convinced that exercise helps with weight:

Does Exercise Really Make Us Thinner? -- New York Magazine

And for help in physically reading articles like the ones cited here:

Readability - An Arc90 Lab Experiment
I agree. As someone who has struggled with weight all my life and as a long-time marathoner, I have come to the conclusion that overweight people who take up running loose weight initially, until the body adjusts to the new exercise habit, but after that, the weight starts coming back on. It takes exercise AND food management to lose and keep of the weight. Even though I'm down 35 pounds from my highest weight, I am still 25 pounds overweight, and it's a daily battle to stay where I am, let alone lose more weight.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I like all of Sachel Piage's sayings, he sums up my feelings on running. Gaeve up running as soon as I was out of the Army. One of my favorite is Item three, from his Official Quotes page.
I never understand why people who don't run feel compelled to come into running threads and proudly state that they don't run. Do you butt into a thread about sewing and say "I'd never sew, I'd rather buy all of my clothes," or a thread on playing an instrument and declare that you have no interest in performing your own music? What is it about running that always seems to attract non-participants?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I never understand why people who don't run feel compelled to come into running threads and proudly state that they don't run. Do you butt into a thread about sewing and say "I'd never sew, I'd rather buy all of my clothes," or a thread on playing an instrument and declare that you have no interest in performing your own music? What is it about running that always seems to attract non-participants?
In fairness, isn't this a "not running" thread (at least based on the title)?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
In fairness, isn't this a "not running" thread (at least based on the title)?
Fair enough. More than, actually. I picked the wrong thread to make this point.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No sweat.

I often read and interpret what I thought I read.

Especially lately that I've been involved in low level abstraction (thanks for the concept, Ha) amusement of working on my new to me 95 Jaguar.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I've got a surf trip coming up and I've started running again, but I really don't like it at all. I'm a big tall dude and I'm more of a plodder than a runner, so it definitely does not come natural to me.
Should I be sprinting instead? I'm lookig for more stamina when out on the water for 2-3 hours.
Well, I'm not going to use the phrase "not running" anymore, but I only run the two miles necessary to qualify for our dojang's black belt test.

We have an elliptical machine and a treadmill. I use the treadmill to work up to the two miles so that I don't beat my knees up on hard surfaces. But when I want a heart-pounding workout, I set the elliptical to the highest intensity I can stand for 20 minutes. It has a scale up to 10 and I'm still working on "4".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
...something is after me. But it sure is tough in high heels...
Who do you run from in high heels and what happens if you get caught?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I've got a surf trip coming up and I've started running again, but I really don't like it at all. I'm a big tall dude and I'm more of a plodder than a runner, so it definitely does not come natural to me.

I've started off only running a couple of miles per outing, and only twice a week, and I'll probably get up to 3 miles 3x per week before I'm done. Last time I did this I ended up hurting my knee and had to quit right before a trip, but it's the only thing I know of to get some good cardio. I also swim, but that doesn't seem to get the heart up like running does for me.

Should I be sprinting instead? I'm lookig for more stamina when out on the water for 2-3 hours.
IMO, there is nothing worse than running the same distance at the same speed everyday. If you are running three days and about nine miles a week, I suggest:

(1) One day of interval training. For example 6 x 400 m or 12 x 200 m on the track or on a dirt loop in the park or something similar. This is at 85-90% of maximum effort. It hurts but it is worth it. There is nothing that gets you in shape faster than intervals. Start out slow if you are not used to running fast to prevent injuries. Walk or jog a lap or half lap to recover in between.

(2) One threshold run of say 2 miles. This is at a pace that is just below the anaerobic threshold. It should be very difficult to maintain a conversation but it is not at the level of intensity of the intervals.

(3) One day of LSD (long slow distance). Maybe 4-6 miles at a very slow, easy pace. It should be easy to maintain a conversation and you should not feel winded. If you can't run it then alternate walking and running.

Each of these runs is designed to work a different energy system.

Scale the above to what ever distance you are comfortable with.

If I had to drop one day I would drop the LSD.

I have also heard that if you are running more than 15 miles a week you are doing it for something besides your health. Did an eight mile run in the Santa Cruz mountains with 1000' of climbing this afternoon. Now I'm off to my Master's swim workout. If exercise is bad for you I'm in trouble.

MB
Old 10-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Bicycing? Great for cardio if you go fast or climb hills.
I wish I found swimming so easy. I can barely do a lap before needing a break, but I can run for miles.
I ran for about 40 years up until last year when I gave it up due to pinched nerve in back, hip aches and ankle aches. I would like to have continued running but the aches and pains just weren't worth it anymore. Anyway, I started biking and swimming as a replacement exercise. I had done some swimming in the past but when I started swimming again I could barely make a few laps in the pool before having to stop and gasp for air. I set small goals of swimming 4 laps without stopping, then 6, then 8, etc. Over weeks and months I was slowly able to build up to the point where the only limit was how long I wanted to swim. I'm currently swimming 1500 meters a couple of times a week.

For me the key to swimming is to slowly build up, learn how to relax in the water and eventually you'll get to the point where you don't feel like you're gasping for air.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was like that, and I'm a bit better now after learning this total immersion technique:

Total Immersion: How I Learned to Swim Effortlessly in 10 Days and You Can Too

I could be a lot better, but I find traveling to the pool and swimming in crowded lanes unpleasant. I'm just not into swimming laps.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Because in some ways we long for the days when we did run, before joint problems or broken ankles or other maladies (me)...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote