Still Not Born to Run?

I like all of Sachel Piage's sayings, he sums up my feelings on running. Gaeve up running as soon as I was out of the Army. One of my favorite is Item three, from his Official Quotes page.

I never understand why people who don't run feel compelled to come into running threads and proudly state that they don't run. Do you butt into a thread about sewing and say "I'd never sew, I'd rather buy all of my clothes," or a thread on playing an instrument and declare that you have no interest in performing your own music? What is it about running that always seems to attract non-participants?

I never understand why people who don't run feel compelled to come into running threads and proudly state that they don't run. Do you butt into a thread about sewing and say "I'd never sew, I'd rather buy all of my clothes," or a thread on playing an instrument and declare that you have no interest in performing your own music? What is it about running that always seems to attract non-participants?

In fairness, isn't this a "not running" thread (at least based on the title)?

No sweat.

I often read and interpret what I thought I read.

Especially lately that I've been involved in low level abstraction (thanks for the concept, Ha) amusement of working on my new to me 95 Jaguar.

I've got a surf trip coming up and I've started running again, but I really don't like it at all. I'm a big tall dude and I'm more of a plodder than a runner, so it definitely does not come natural to me.
Should I be sprinting instead? I'm lookig for more stamina when out on the water for 2-3 hours.
Well, I'm not going to use the phrase "not running" anymore, but I only run the two miles necessary to qualify for our dojang's black belt test.

We have an elliptical machine and a treadmill. I use the treadmill to work up to the two miles so that I don't beat my knees up on hard surfaces. But when I want a heart-pounding workout, I set the elliptical to the highest intensity I can stand for 20 minutes. It has a scale up to 10 and I'm still working on "4".

...something is after me. But it sure is tough in high heels...
Who do you run from in high heels and what happens if you get caught? ;)

I've got a surf trip coming up and I've started running again, but I really don't like it at all. I'm a big tall dude and I'm more of a plodder than a runner, so it definitely does not come natural to me.

I've started off only running a couple of miles per outing, and only twice a week, and I'll probably get up to 3 miles 3x per week before I'm done. Last time I did this I ended up hurting my knee and had to quit right before a trip, but it's the only thing I know of to get some good cardio. I also swim, but that doesn't seem to get the heart up like running does for me.

Should I be sprinting instead? I'm lookig for more stamina when out on the water for 2-3 hours.

IMO, there is nothing worse than running the same distance at the same speed everyday. If you are running three days and about nine miles a week, I suggest:

(1) One day of interval training. For example 6 x 400 m or 12 x 200 m on the track or on a dirt loop in the park or something similar. This is at 85-90% of maximum effort. It hurts but it is worth it. There is nothing that gets you in shape faster than intervals. Start out slow if you are not used to running fast to prevent injuries. Walk or jog a lap or half lap to recover in between.

(2) One threshold run of say 2 miles. This is at a pace that is just below the anaerobic threshold. It should be very difficult to maintain a conversation but it is not at the level of intensity of the intervals.

(3) One day of LSD (long slow distance). Maybe 4-6 miles at a very slow, easy pace. It should be easy to maintain a conversation and you should not feel winded. If you can't run it then alternate walking and running.

Each of these runs is designed to work a different energy system.

Scale the above to what ever distance you are comfortable with.

If I had to drop one day I would drop the LSD.

I have also heard that if you are running more than 15 miles a week you are doing it for something besides your health. Did an eight mile run in the Santa Cruz mountains with 1000' of climbing this afternoon. Now I'm off to my Master's swim workout. If exercise is bad for you I'm in trouble.

MB

Bicycing? Great for cardio if you go fast or climb hills.
I wish I found swimming so easy. I can barely do a lap before needing a break, but I can run for miles.

I ran for about 40 years up until last year when I gave it up due to pinched nerve in back, hip aches and ankle aches. I would like to have continued running but the aches and pains just weren't worth it anymore. Anyway, I started biking and swimming as a replacement exercise. I had done some swimming in the past but when I started swimming again I could barely make a few laps in the pool before having to stop and gasp for air. I set small goals of swimming 4 laps without stopping, then 6, then 8, etc. Over weeks and months I was slowly able to build up to the point where the only limit was how long I wanted to swim. I'm currently swimming 1500 meters a couple of times a week.

For me the key to swimming is to slowly build up, learn how to relax in the water and eventually you'll get to the point where you don't feel like you're gasping for air.

I wish I found swimming so easy. I can barely do a lap before needing a break, but I can run for miles.

I was like that, and I'm a bit better now after learning this total immersion technique:

YouTube - Total Immersion Swimming Freestyle Demo by Shinji Takeuchi

Total Immersion: How I Learned to Swim Effortlessly in 10 Days and You Can Too

I could be a lot better, but I find traveling to the pool and swimming in crowded lanes unpleasant. I'm just not into swimming laps.

Because in some ways we long for the days when we did run, before joint problems or broken ankles or other maladies (me)...........:)

Back
Top Bottom