Swine flu: what NOT to do

Here is the link to the CDC site that has all their current guidelines and recommendations: CDC H1N1 Flu | Guidance

We stopped routine testing for influenza and confirmation of H1N1 months ago. As RIT pointed out it was an epidemiology tool last winter. More than 90% of confirmed Influenza A is H1N1 so it is reasonable to assume if you have classic flu symptoms you probably have H1N1.

DD

More than 90% of confirmed Influenza A is H1N1 so it is reasonable to assume if you have classic flu symptoms you probably have H1N1.
Regardless of which type I had, the memory of how it felt to deal with the flu over 20 years ago is enough to keep me going back for annual shots.

That flu case was the only time during two decades of Navy where I'd missed my annual inoculation...

Early in an epidemic or pandemic we check almost all symptomatic patients to guide public health authorities as to where the thing is heading. Once you reach truly pandemic conditions you just assess and treat without the blood test. The treatment is helpful but needs to be started early, is expensive, and has some side effects so it's not for everyone.

In Britain they are prescribing Tamiflu over the phone: if you fit the pattern of symptoms, you get the prescription!

Moe's experience in the doctor's office is all too common. That's exactly how viral illnesses get transmitted: crowds of snotty nosed kids sneezing all over you....

Many of you will not be top priority for H1N1 vaccine. Unless you are pregnant....

In Britain they are prescribing Tamiflu over the phone: if you fit the pattern of symptoms, you get the prescription!

Oh my God! Another failure of Socialized Medicine! :)
Ha

Moe's experience in the doctor's office is all too common. That's exactly how viral illnesses get transmitted: crowds of snotty nosed kids sneezing all over you....

Many of you will not be top priority for H1N1 vaccine. Unless you are pregnant....
I had gotten to the point where I tried to avoid people with young kids when I was still w*rking. I just got tired of them bringing these illnesses into the w*rk area instead of staying home when they were sick. :nonono:

Let's see...first time at motherhood at 51 ? Or can I just stick my stomach out and fake it ? :LOL:

Last week at work we were all given a 15 page tome on how to wash one's hands. Have you ever heard that the proper length of time to wash effectively is the time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice? That is a long time.

Last week at work we were all given a 15 page tome on how to wash one's hands. Have you ever heard that the proper length of time to wash effectively is the time it takes to sing Happy Birthday twice? That is a long time.

I have heard that, and also to wash well between fingers and all the way past your wrists, too--do all that and "Happy Birthday" is just about the right amount of time.

I've flown three times in the last six weeks and every time I've come down with a really bad head/chest cold and fever a couple of days afterwards. I wonder if one of those was the swine flu.

Is this where I make a comment about who took the picture of my flying hini?

I have heard that, and also to wash well between fingers and all the way past your wrists, too--do all that and "Happy Birthday" is just about the right amount of time.

I've flown three times in the last six weeks and every time I've come down with a really bad head/chest cold and fever a couple of days afterwards. I wonder if one of those was the swine flu.

Whenever I took a flight for a business trip, I caught some sort of cold.

That's exactly how viral illnesses get transmitted: crowds of snotty nosed kids sneezing all over you....

Children are disease delivery devices.

Someone sneezes in row 10, you breathe it in row 25, thanks to the highly optimized recirculating air systems on planes.

I basically quarantined myself at home until the bronchitis kicked in my asthma and I had to go to the Doctor . The basic symptoms were pretty mild as flu goes . It took about two weeks to resolve .

My baby grandson (9mo old) has been sick for three weeks and now has an official diagnosis of H1N1. His pediatrician prescribed Tamiflu. They couldn't get the prescription filled at one pharmacy and had to go to another where they were able to get the very last prescription. The baby's dad, my son, also is sick with flu, so it's pretty likely he has H1N1 too. But no Tamiflu available for him. So far baby's mom who is a school teacher is not sick. Not many of the kids at her school have the flu at this point. I have been taking care of my grandson once a week but so far, no flu for me. It's supposed to be easily spread so I don't know why more people are not sick.

My son won't let me take care of them on my usual babysitting day tomorrow. He's being protective of me even though I am not in a high risk group. But I may go over and take the baby out for a stroller ride. This flu is everywhere now! Take care everyone. :(

People age 52 or so (and older) were often exposed in the 1957 flu season and many have partial immunity all those years later. People age 65 also have the exposure history but their variable general health and waning immunity make them prime "vulnerable" targets for H1N1 and its complications.

I'm so sorry the baby is sick Oldbabe. Bless his heart and yours. :(

People age 52 or so (and older) were often exposed in the 1957 flu season and many have partial immunity all those years later. People age 65 also have the exposure history but their variable general health and waning immunity make them prime "vulnerable" targets for H1N1 and its complications.

Don't know if I had the '57 flu; I think so.

I read something that people who had the "Swine Flu'' shot in '76 might have partial immunity.

Last edited:
Well, as of today I have seen 5 patients with confirmed H1N1 flu. Four of the 5 had prominent GI symptoms (cramps, diarrhea). That is the one thing clearly different from seasonal flu. All did OK, no shots yet available here.

Well, as of today I have seen 5 patients with confirmed H1N1 flu. Four of the 5 had prominent GI symptoms (cramps, diarrhea). That is the one thing clearly different from seasonal flu. All did OK, no shots yet available here.

I can vouch for the diarrhea . I had to stay real close to home .

Back
Top Bottom