Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
You and I are on the same page, Brew. All of those are good preps.

I just conceded that we could get the pistol that DH wanted, but only with the condition that a friend teach me to shoot it. I really don't want it, but I think it is probably a reasonable concession and an appropriate part of our home defense. We do not have children visit our home but just in case, the gun will be kept in an inaccessible location to others.

Because of power outages with hurricanes and such, this time of year we check all the flashlights, batteries, water jugs, dry and canned goods, propane, etc. as a matter of course. Good practice and not too tin foil hat crazy, I hope.
Opinions differ on firearms, obviously. I would like to own a small caliber rifle or pistol for target shooting, but DW is dead against it, my state of residence makes it a PITA, and we have small children. So that's pretty much out. I suppose that I could easily pick up a crossbow and some broadheads and have 90% of the killing power of a firearm, but I basically cannot be bothered.

All the other stuff makes heaps of sense to me. No sense being caught with your pants down in a relatively minor emergency. Of course, my first instinct would probably be to load everyone and everything into the car and haul the camper (with all its supplies already on board) away from whatever the problem was...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
After Hurricane Katrina, food was extremely hard to get and there were a lot of MRE's being given out. I was able to find food (not what I wanted, but something anyway) so I didn't partake in MRE's.

I was REALLY surprised when my Weight Watchers leader told us how many calories are in an MRE. For someone like me, one MRE is more calories than I need in two days (six meals). MRE's are supposed to be for extremely active and young guys in demanding situations (to say the least) so the calories just aren't in line with what normal people need.

So, a word to the wise - - if you ever have to use your MRE's, you might want to split one with your wife rather than to eat the whole thing.
That's the plan, since the things are generally north of 1000 calories a piece. I imagine one a day per person would probably cut it for a while. The calories, etc. are clearly labelled on the ones I have and it is pretty amazing.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never mind got caught up in the survival mode thread.. My mistake

Oh stockpile water
Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...Because of power outages with hurricanes and such, this time of year we check all the flashlights, batteries, water jugs, dry and canned goods, propane, etc. as a matter of course. Good practice and not too tin foil hat crazy, I hope.
Nope, sounds like what I have to do for the winter months. I live on a road that is a main power run to other towns, so downed lines are fixed on my road before many others. We have a generator and keep plenty of fuel on hand in 5 gal containers for prolonged power out circumstances.
Right now I am finishing off a store of canned and dry goods that expire in 2010. Before winter snows pile up, I will inventory and make a big shopping run for things that are easy to heat up with no power. Maybe I need to get a few MREs as part of the pantry stash.
There was a huge ice storm back in the late 90s that hit communities all over northern NY, snapping telephone poles and huge trees and making roads impassable for weeks. It didn't affect my area, but the storm hit towns that are not so far away.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

1st swine flu "joke" received in email

What is the difference between Bird Flu and Swine Flu?

For bird flu you need tweetment and for swine flu you need oinkment.

only on the Internet...
Old 09-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am one of the first Forum swine flu survivors . I got the swine flu . As flu's go it was mild but I stayed home because younger people were having more serious reactions and because one of the symptoms is diarrhea ( and it is a lot of diarrhea ) . I did end up with Bronchitis and had to go the antibiotic route but all in all it was milder than other flu's I've had !
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Moe, how do you know you had H1N1 vs the "regular" flu?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I am glad you did so well, Moe.

Ha
Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Speedy recovery, Moe. We've seem scattered cases up the road here, too. I'm washing my hands a lot.

REW, there's a lab test

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
REW, there's a blood test
Thanks. I thought maybe there were some symptomatic differences but apparently not.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
REW, there's a blood test
Are they using it 100% of the time to confirm swine flu in your area right now? Or are doctors simply assuming swine flu due to the time of year, as they have been doing here (according to local media)?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Moe, how do you know you had H1N1 vs the "regular" flu?

Swine flu is rampant in Sarasota right now . They are seeing lots of cases . So for me they just went by the symptoms and declared it the swine flu . When I went to the Doctor's the waiting room was packed with people coughing and running to the bathroom . If you look at the map of were the swine flu is Florida lights up like a Christmas tree . I had it for two weeks . It started with a cough , body aches , fever , loss of appetite and diarrhea . It progressed to Bronchitis before it slowly went away . I had been at a Childen's birthday party at Chucky Cheese and I guess that stupid mouse gave it to me . Thanks Chucky !
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #73

Yep, those were my symptoms. I never went to the doctor, though, so who knows whether it was regular flu or swine. Took about two weeks for the fatigue to finally go away. Yuck.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thanks. I thought maybe there were some symptomatic differences but apparently not.
Swine flu victims tend to make grunting noises through their noses.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Are they using it 100% of the time to confirm swine flu in your area right now? Or are doctors simply assuming swine flu due to the time of year, as they have been doing here (according to local media)?
Early in an epidemic or pandemic we check almost all symptomatic patients to guide public health authorities as to where the thing is heading. Once you reach truly pandemic conditions you just assess and treat without the blood test. The treatment is helpful but needs to be started early, is expensive, and has some side effects so it's not for everyone.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I did have an urge to go play in the mud !
Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

This site may be useful to see what's going on in your state.
CDC H1N1 Flu | State Health Department Websites
Old 09-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here is the link to the CDC site that has all their current guidelines and recommendations: CDC H1N1 Flu | Guidance

We stopped routine testing for influenza and confirmation of H1N1 months ago. As RIT pointed out it was an epidemiology tool last winter. More than 90% of confirmed Influenza A is H1N1 so it is reasonable to assume if you have classic flu symptoms you probably have H1N1.

DD
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
More than 90% of confirmed Influenza A is H1N1 so it is reasonable to assume if you have classic flu symptoms you probably have H1N1.
Regardless of which type I had, the memory of how it felt to deal with the flu over 20 years ago is enough to keep me going back for annual shots.

That flu case was the only time during two decades of Navy where I'd missed my annual inoculation...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #80

Quote:
Based on the diarrhea Moe described I'm not at all surprised...