The Microbiome File

I don't know about examining my biome. But I do know that since I started drinking my home cultured kefir last year, my immune system has been solid.

Sample size of one, I know. But having only one minor short lived cold this season compared to everyone around me, I'll keep drinking this stuff. Seems to help.

The 5 site kit is on sale again.

I don't get anything from this, I just think that some day the microbiome will turn out to be incredibly important to human health span question, and to want it to become more heavily studied.

Thanks. Wondering if you've done this test more than once? It seems like the first time might be your baseline, no? Or does it give you enough information to be actionable?

omni

Unfortunately, there's not much actionable in it for the person taking one test. They do tell you what the "weirdest" bug you have is. Sometimes that bug is associated with a condition, but more likely it's going to lead to nothing actionable. But, as you say, maybe having taken the baseline with the intention of retesting later, and also the with goal of "improving your diet", will give you motivation to "eat healthy" (whatever that means).

I've done the gut several times and the 5 site once. There have been some changes, but I've not taken the time to research what the changes really mean. Generally, the "good guys" are making up a higher percentage, though, as I've been eating more raw and fermented foods and less highly refined stuff.

Last edited:
There is study called "Predict 2" that's includes genomics as well as gut microbiome. I've not been combing the literature, so this might be one of many studies that include both the microbiome AND genomics as inputs. But I'm excited to have things like this happening. My theory has been that science will be able to explain more about disease process (and health process) if both genetics as well as our resident viruses, bacteria, yeast, fungi, bacteriophages, and parasites are included as observations.

The gut microbiome is different in different people. Only 10-20% of the types of bacteria found in the human gut are found in everyone. This might mean that the best diet to prevent disease needs matching to a person's gut microbiome and it might be possible to find personalized foods or diets that will help reduce the chance of developing chronic disease as well as metabolic syndrome.
I think that this is a good direction for medical science! Your genes explains some things. Your environment explains some things. The two, though, come-up short. The puzzle might have more bits fit together when the gut biomes get included.

Raleigh Museum of Science had a special exhibit on Microbes a few years back and I spent at least 4 hours reading every single detail they presented as it noted numerous studies linking Microbes to everything from being overweight, foggy brain and a whole host of disorders, and impacts how good and bad microbes could potentially be why some people are "cured" from cancer and others aren't. I wanted to go back to school and solve the world it was so fascinating. I had already read up on the study where they had put gut bacteria from thin mice into fat mice and the fat mice lost weight... sign me up. It also went into how sugar often feeds bad microbes and fermented items help grow good bacteria. They talked about in child birth your microbiome is put onto your child as a protection from illness and that doctors were starting to simulate that for children born via C-section to give them better health... anyway it went on and one and I'm sold.

Going to a Kumboocha tea class on Saturday and want to learn how to make Kimchi. I'm totally sold on the fact our ancestors who stumbled on this preserving thing..and eating these foods in winter.. didn't know they were fortifying their bodies but they were.

Perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise. Antibiotics, after all, are a distilled version of how balance (or in this case intentional imbalance) affect the life of the microbes we live with, and the interactions they have with each other.

Both parents were of Eastern European descent. Sauerkraut was a staple in our diet as kids. Sauerkraut and cabbage rolls/perogies/sausage/salad/on sandwiches...by itself. I wonder if canned or frozen makes a difference. I never eat canned fruits or vegetables. Frozen if needed. Does the preparation of these foods make a difference? I understand (from articles) that cooking or blanching certain vegetables increases their vitamin capacity. For instance, fresh kale should be blanched for optimum nutrients. Slightly cooking releases the vitamin enzymes. (not sure I said that correctly) Any thoughts?

Both parents were of Eastern European descent. Sauerkraut was a staple in our diet as kids. Sauerkraut and cabbage rolls/perogies/sausage/salad/on sandwiches...by itself. I wonder if canned or frozen makes a difference. I never eat canned fruits or vegetables. Frozen if needed. Does the preparation of these foods make a difference? I understand (from articles) that cooking or blanching certain vegetables increases their vitamin capacity. For instance, fresh kale should be blanched for optimum nutrients. Slightly cooking releases the vitamin enzymes. (not sure I said that correctly) Any thoughts?
If you get canned sauerkraut, it's no longer a "live food". There is sauerkraut that is "live" in health food stores, though. I've got a batch of kombucha going now (super easy to do), but I've fallen out of making kraut. My last batch was "just ok", and I lost steam. I want to try kimchi.

From a nutrient perspective, certainly freshness and preparation method is a big factor. Cooking is typically going to eliminate any live probiotics. Check out "eating on the wild side" for more on cooking techniques to get the best out of foods.

What lives in or on you is very important'!!

No soap or shampoo either!
A daily water rinse is fine.

Your microbe's need fostering.
They maintain your well being.

"Whole Foods" are important also.

I've seen it work 70yr old w/male 250lbers to accomplish 170-150lbers.
Do some research.

Good luck & Best wishes....

Last edited:
uBiome Gone, Psomagen got IP

Well, the startup "uBiome" went bankrupt, but the good news is that the company that got the intellectual property tests both microbiome and human genetics! Unfortunately, the earlier tests done by uBiome appear to be gone for good. So if you didn't print them out, you're out of luck. At least that's what I've come to conclude based on a quick bit of searching.

Earlier I said:
I want 23andMe to merge with uBiome and start to make sense of all this stuff that's been ignored for too long.

Well, it wasn't a merger, but we now have a company that's got both things (human genome and gut microbiome) under one roof.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom