Three months yesterday since TKR.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It was three months yesterday since my total knee replacement.
1) while not exactly exactly the same as my real knee was pre-arthritis I rarely have think about the new knee. Yeah I get a twinge at night when I move the knee sideways but other then that I'm good.
2) I always wondered what would happen if I fell. I found out this past Wednesday. Physical therapy at 6:55AM - ten minutes away from my house. I was walking up to the PT building, iPad and travel coffee mug in hand when I hit a patch of ice (snow melt froze overnight). It happened so fast I didn't have an opportunity to 'catch myself' I landed on my butt / back. I was looking up at the sky wondering if anything was broke. I banged up the good knee and felt a twinge in my back and moved a bit slower these past two days. Other then that I'm good. PTL.
3) I've spent a good deal of money on PT- I believe it helped a good deal. I think Monday will be my last day.
4) I can finally take the pooch for that long walk.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Wow, great report! And so encouraging for those of us who may need a TKR sometime in the future. I love that you said, "I rarely have to think about the new knee".

As for moving the knee sideways at night, well, I'm sure you remember the struggles to find any pain free position at all for your knees at night. So, this is much better.

Glad you did not injure your new knee due to that fall.

As for the PT costing you lots of money, what a drag but so necessary. I'll probably wait until I'm in my early 70's before pursuing TKR unless things get rapidly worse. If my PT is not covered by insurance then I'll just consider that to be one of those theoretically non-existent additional expenses that I am expecting as I grow older. From what I understand, PT is the key to regaining good knee function.

Last edited:
Great news. Glad you didn't injure your new knee replacement. My brother in law hurt his twice and is now dealing with having his new replacements taken out (he got a severe staff infection in his and they were giving him the wrong antibiotics for over a year until he went to an infectious disease dr and he discovered what kind of antibiotics he really needed) and new ones put in.

Hope your recovery keeps going well.

Back
Top Bottom