Transient Global Amnesia

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone ever experienced this bizarre condition? I spent most of Sunday afternoon in the ER while docs figured out what my sudden memory loss was due to. Basically, I became very confused and unable to remember anything recent. I was mobile and could speak normally I just had no memory of recent events. My fiance took me to the ER choosing the nearby hospital which also has the Barrow Neurological Institute so it was a good choice. Many tests including an MRI later, I was released with a diagnosis of the condition in the title.

It can last up to 24 hours but there is no permanent impairment, although 24 hours later, I have virtually no memory of what transpired for the better part of eight hours and sketchy memory of the day before that. Of course they had to rule out stroke but based on what I've read my symptoms were classic TGA. There is limited understanding of the cause although there may be a relation to migraines. While I have never had a migraine headache, I do occasionally experience the visual auras that generally last less than half an hour.

TGA is most commonly found in the 50 to 70 age group. Just wondering if anyone else has had one.

Welcome to our little club, glad you survived the journey. [emoji12]

Transient Global Amnesia - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
Lol! I figured it was so weird that no one here would have heard of it let alone experienced it. Should have done a search first. The descriptions in that other thread are pretty much identical to mine. At the hospital I couldn't name the President! Tonight I'm pretty much back to normal but still have a trace of headache much like what I experience after I've had an aura session.

Anyway, I guess there's a good chance I won't have another nor am I likely to remember much of what transpired that day. Still, glad to see I'm not alone. I do wonder though what would have happened had I been alone. Would I have remembered to call 911? I suspect I would have panicked thinking it was a stroke and maybe not being able to remember what to do.

Next door neighbor had this several years ago. She's been fine since then. It is very unsettling for everyone. Glad you went to the ER and they made sure it wasn't a stroke.

Anyone ever experienced this bizarre condition? I spent most of Sunday afternoon in the ER while docs figured out what my sudden memory loss was due to. Basically, I became very confused and unable to remember anything recent. I was mobile and could speak normally I just had no memory of recent events. My fiance took me to the ER choosing the nearby hospital which also has the Barrow Neurological Institute so it was a good choice. Many tests including an MRI later, I was released with a diagnosis of the condition in the title.

It can last up to 24 hours but there is no permanent impairment, although 24 hours later, I have virtually no memory of what transpired for the better part of eight hours and sketchy memory of the day before that. Of course they had to rule out stroke but based on what I've read my symptoms were classic TGA. There is limited understanding of the cause although there may be a relation to migraines. While I have never had a migraine headache, I do occasionally experience the visual auras that generally last less than half an hour.

TGA is most commonly found in the 50 to 70 age group. Just wondering if anyone else has had one.

Yeah my DW had it last year. She lost about 5-6 hours of memory. I first notice the problem when she asked me if I had breakfast .. and I said yes. Then she asked me again 4x ... the same question. She could not remember talking to her niece the night before. We went to ER and TGA was the finding of the neurologist / doctor. She’s never experienced it again after a year. We did MRI .. CTScan .. the works ... nothing.

It could be stress related.

Heck I had that routinely around 40 years ago. I was living near High Point NY, commuted to Palisades NY, roughly an hours drive. for about one year. The only commute I ever had with no traffic lights. Back country roads leading to a highway, which connected to the Palisades Parkway and the exit a few hundred feet from Lamont Observatory's entrance.

Half the time I could not recall the events of the ride.

Maybe it was just my advanced inbuilt autopilot.

In our area it happens to elected officials after every election.

Back
Top Bottom