Tricare For Life Premium Increases?

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Congress is again trying to balance the budget on backs of retired military.

The chart below shows the schedule of increases for the first five years. The fees shown would be for a married couple, both eligible for Medicare. Singles would pay half the rate indicated.
feb19_chart1.jpg
MOAA is particularly concerned at this plan to means-test service-earned health care benefits. No other employer means-tests retired employees' health benefits.
- See more at: MOAA - New TRICARE Fees Could Be Coming to You

We have far too many people that never contributed a thing in their life to the country that get better benefits than Vets. It's pretty bad when an illegal immigrant gets better benefits than a Veteran.

If it were up to me, I would say Veterans have paid enough, they should not even need to pay income taxes. Only 0.5% of the population is a Veteran. It should be 100%.

If only they could develop a formula that could means test benefits based on the persons contribution to society. If you did not contribute enough, you do not get a benefit.

We're only going to see more of this sort of thing as veterans become a smaller and smaller minority group. Not only in the country, but particularly in Congress.

This year Congress has just 18.7% of its members with some military service. Compare that to 73% in 1971-72.

Attachments

• vet.jpg
    vet.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 3
This is the first sign of what I mentioned, I believe on this very forum, at least a couple of years ago. The "Thank you for your service" and talk of "HEE-roes" will turn slowly into harangues of "We as a nation can no longer afford these privileged hangers-on with their gold plated medical plans that even working Americans cannot afford!

And, in usual fashion, instead of doing something about everybody, they'll just take something from some other group to make everybody feel better because now we're all "the same."

If there's going to be anything like the Bonus Marchers of 1932, if I'm physically able, I'll be there.

I just hope they don't try to means test veterans disability compensation. Any thing is possible with these spineless politicos.

JMHO

Everybody understands that the current Tricare For Life premium is zero, right?

And that Congress has been trying to impose a premium for nearly a decade?

And that somehow the proposal never gets incorporated into the final version of the defense authorizations, let alone subjected to a vote by the entire houses of Congress?

I think it's possible that someday Congress might impose a TFL premium. But I'm skeptical that it'll happen during any election years.

By the way, it'll be interesting to see that "military veterans in Congress" chart updated in Jan 2017. I haven't researched the numbers, but I suspect there's been an uptick over the last couple years.

If it were up to me, I would say Veterans have paid enough, they should not even need to pay income taxes. Only 0.5% of the population is a Veteran. It should be 100%.

I think your numbers are off on the number of veterans, overall probably closer to 7%.

Last edited:
in the future tri care will be lableled an entitlement just like social security and medicare, even though the people who are recieving it did and paid with either money or service to the country. not fair is not a strong enough word for this.

in the future tri care will be lableled an entitlement just like social security and medicare, even though the people who are recieving it did and paid with either money or service to the country. not fair is not a strong enough word for this.

I understand the service part. But, not being military, I don't understand the money part. Is it possible to buy into Tri care?

Entitlement might be an apt description. Most of us pay into SS and medicare throughout our income earning years - and expect a benefit later. It is labeled an entitlement because the recipients are legally entitled to the benefits after paying in for decades. Isn't tricare similar except it's with years of service rather than payroll taxes?

I am in no way suggesting that the premium increases are fair... I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other. I'm just trying to understand the issue.

I live in a military town and am surrounded by retired military. This issue will effect a large percentage of my neighbors.

Isn't tricare similar except it's with years of service rather than payroll
taxes?

OP is referring to "Tricare For Life", which is part of the Tricare program. In order to qualify for TFL the retired service member must also enroll in Medicare. TFL is considered a Medicare supplement.

But only if the retiree enrolls in Medicare Pt A and B and pays $105/month.
Yep. And we're all probably going to do that anyway... or live expat.

But TFL is a free Medigap policy (so far), and we have a choice on whether or not to insure against the Medicare copay.

I understand the service part. But, not being military, I don't understand the money part. Is it possible to buy into Tri care?
Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps Frank is describing active duty (service) and the servicemember's family premiums (money).

Reserve/Guard members only receive Tricare benefits if they're on active duty for at least 30 days, or they can buy a Tricare Reserve policy. Retired military have a choice of Tricare Standard (no annual fees but 20% cost share) or may be in a Tricare Prime geographic region (annual fees and copays). Adult children of military servicemembers are eligible for their parents to pay for Tricare Young Adult, which will cover them until age 26. TYA was created to match the ACA's equivalent coverage.

That's the bare-bones basic description, I probably skipped over a few exceptions, and it quickly gets way more complicated. But I think that's Frank's point.

Yep. And we're all probably going to do that anyway... or live expat.

But TFL is a free Medigap policy (so far),

If I recall correctly, at one time retirees over 65 were not required to enroll in Medicare and received healthcare at military hospitals at no cost to them. Congress changed this and now requires them to enroll (and pay) for Medicare @ 65 in order to qualify for TFL.

TFL is not free (someone DOD? pays for it) but retired members are not charged for it at the present time.

Back
Top Bottom