Tricare supplemental health insurance

Chaos Abounds

Recycles dryer sheets
DH and I have been looking into getting me a Tricare supplemental health insurance policy once I ER in about 6 months. He will be covered by Medicare and Tricare. Anyone have any recommendations?

If you are covered by Tricare Prime and DH is covered by Medicare/TFL there is little need for a supplement IMHO especially if your PCM is a military doc and you get your meds thru the military for free.

If you are covered by Tricare Prime and DH is covered by Medicare/TFL there is little need for a supplement IMHO especially if your PCM is a military doc and you get your meds thru the military for free.
I just have Tricare Standard. We see civilian doctors and get our meds filled at our local pharmacy.

I have a policy through MOAA called Mediplus.
They offer a number of choices of coverage to suit your needs.
It seems to work OK, but we have not had any major claims. At the time we took out the policy I could not find any competitors, so I can't comment on that, but IMO, all insurance is over priced.

It seems to work OK, but we have not had any major claims. At the time we took out the policy I could not find any competitors, so I can't comment on that, but IMO, all insurance is over priced.
Thanks!

I also have Mediplus and have for a number of years. It has its own deductibles that must be met (on top of the Tricare Standard deductibles and co-pays.) Some years I have paid more for the supplement than I have gotten back and other years I have gotten more back than I've paid (but I guess that's what insurance is all about.)

I don't remember all the numbers off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to check right now, but remember that Tricare has a "catastrophic cap" meaning that once you've paid that much every year, they cover the rest. You would have to analyze your financial situation vs. that cap to see if you could "self insure" or whether it would be better to get a supplement.

Everything I've said above applies only to Tricare Standard and we don't have any MTFs in our area where we could go for care.

I will drop the supplement in 6 months or so when I become eligible for Medicare and will go on Tricare for Life (TFL) as the supplement to Medicare.

Back
Top Bottom