Urolift? Anyone had it?

I have done a little research on prostate supplements, and bought a bottle of LifeExtension Ultra Prostate Formula. LifeExtension is one of the most reputable supplement companies that I am aware of. Anyhow I took my first pill at dinner time last evening and figured this stuff may take several days of 2x/day to do anything. Nope, slept through the night without my pee breaks. I know it's only one night and this needs to be evaluated over a period of time, but feeling optimistic that this will work for me hopefully for a while.

Just to update. The supplement benefits were short lived, so its back to nightly pee breaks and evaluating other solutions.

Best of luck with that, Nemo2.

I was recently in a tour group and felt really good because there was one guy with an even more overgrown prostate than mine. He was lucky to make an hour between bathroom breaks so our travel schedule had to be set rather loosely.

I'll be talking to my urologist later this year about the next step and I'm not looking forward to it.

Good luck with the treatment. I'm going in next month to decide what to do. Either the green light laser or Rezum. Did you consider the Rezum treatment?

I just read about Rezum, sounds equally good, but I'm not sure if it's offered where I am......urologist suggested green light , and I went along. Be interested in your decision and subsequent experience(s).

Just re-read the Rezum link...it's not suitable for 'urinary retention' which is one of my symptoms.

Last edited:
Do you need a catheter and pee bag to recover from most of these procedures? The thought of that creeps me out.

Do you need a catheter and pee bag to recover from most of these procedures? The thought of that creeps me out.

Any of the surgeries almost always require a bag. Green light is the "easiest." Depending on how it goes and the peculiarities of the patient, you might be able to avoid it or at least get by with 24-48 hours of "bag-time."

Rezum is about the same. Some need a bag, some don't. They all cause some swelling and/ or bleeding so if the prostate is on the larger side, you'll be obstructed till the swelling goes down.

Urolift... if it's a catheter you're most afraid of is the best. It fixes the problem immediately like surgery. Only instead of removing tissue it moves it out of the way. And since it doesn't cut, scrape, or pump steam into the prostate it causes the least amount of swelling. Only a small amount of patients use a bag for maybe 24 hours and I suspect they are on the upper end of the size range for Urolift

I'm not over enthused about the idea either, (even for a day or two), but I'm finding, as the body deteriorates with age, that I'm more open to compromise, (or being compromised), when the alternative might/will bring me closer to my demise.

Basically - ya do what youse have got ta do.

I didn't for the urolift, but it was a possible temporary outcome. I was told it depends how well you urinate post surgery.

I did bleed some and passed a few clots, an unusual experience. Any bleed issues were gone in under 24 hours.

My urologist said he was taught to do the procedure with the patient awake but he preferred if guys weren't flopping about. So he used propofol. I'd suggest that as I was quite a bit more uncomfortable than after a cystoscopy or being cathed.

I was given 12 5mg hydrocodone for three days post surgery. After that advil was enough.

MRG My insurance company will not be paying for it as it's against their religion. So it's on me.

Reviewing the thread and came across this from July. Did the insurance tell you just what procedures they would pay for? Were they against all of these new less invasive procedures and only approving "tried and true" surgeries?

Reviewing the thread and came across this from July. Did the insurance tell you just what procedures they would pay for? Were they against all of these new less invasive procedures and only approving "tried and true" surgeries?
They considered a urolift experimental! I think BCBS is the only major insurance company with that view. No they won't tell me what procedure they would approve.

I'm in an area that has few urologists. My insurance company would only has a few, traveling surgeons or one doctor whose reputation wasn't good. I was told if would complain loudly enough they would send me to a urologist several hundred miles away. That would mean starting over with a cystoscopy and then surgery and more trips for post op care. That wasn't an option.

To date BCBS has denied over 11k in bills with more on their way.

Originally Posted by DFW_M5
I have done a little research on prostate supplements, and bought a bottle of LifeExtension Ultra Prostate Formula. LifeExtension is one of the most reputable supplement companies that I am aware of. Anyhow I took my first pill at dinner time last evening and figured this stuff may take several days of 2x/day to do anything. Nope, slept through the night without my pee breaks. I know it's only one night and this needs to be evaluated over a period of time, but feeling optimistic that this will work for me hopefully for a while.

Just to update. The supplement benefits were short lived, so its back to nightly pee breaks and evaluating other solutions

I just bought some of this stuff. Since my problem is different from BPH I thought why not? It might help.

How in the world did you swallow those big black rubber pills? Or are they suppositories?

I didn't for the urolift, but it was a possible temporary outcome. I was told it depends how well you urinate post surgery.

I did bleed some and passed a few clots, an unusual experience. Any bleed issues were gone in under 24 hours.

My urologist said he was taught to do the procedure with the patient awake but he preferred if guys weren't flopping about. So he used propofol. I'd suggest that as I was quite a bit more uncomfortable than after a cystoscopy or being cathed.

I was given 12 5mg hydrocodone for three days post surgery. After that advil was enough.

I like the idea of being knocked out, otherwise I would probably fly off the table.

I just bought some of this stuff. Since my problem is different from BPH I thought why not? It might help.

How in the world did you swallow those big black rubber pills? Or are they suppositories?

They are large, but no larger than the fish oil I take. I've gotten use to swallowing big pills. My family is amazed how I can just chug em down.

If interested -

An easy to consume powdered source of the main active ingredients - primarily Phytosterol (Beta Sitosterol) along with Saw Palmetto extract, and Pygeum Africanum, can be had through Amazon at Bulk Supplements.

Note - when I ordered the Phytosterol (most effective for me), I received an email offer for a free sample, which I applied to the Pygeum Extract. Ditto when I later ordered the Saw Palmetto Extract.

Thanx! Most helpful So far I've just been biting the big black rubber horse pills and sucking out the "stuff". I can taste the pumpkin in it
If interested -

An easy to consume powdered source of the main active ingredients - primarily Phytosterol (Beta Sitosterol) along with Saw Palmetto extract, and Pygeum Africanum, can be had through Amazon at Bulk Supplements.

Note - when I ordered the Phytosterol (most effective for me), I received an email offer for a free sample, which I applied to the Pygeum Extract. Ditto when I later ordered the Saw Palmetto Extract.

Aloha All...Just thought I'd throw my 2cents into this. MRG, thank you for your personal experience.
I had the UROlift done last Wednesday morning in Honolulu, 2 days after the Cysto to determine if I was a candidate, and 2 days after spending a total of 6.5 hours in the ER for not able to pee, on 2 trips Sunday after midnight into Monday morning...and, NO, I do NOT live on Oahu (Honolulu); I live on another Hawaiian Island. The good news is that Medicare pays for Urolift. I was a so-so candidate. Anyway, had the UROLift, and was able to immediately pee after the procedure so no catheter was needed. I was given Cipro, an anti constipation med, and OXY. I did have general anesthesia as I am not good with sitting still. I never did take any pain meds, no OXY. I was peeing every 20-30 minutes for about 12 hours. I was very nervous about the plane ride on Friday back home, even though it's only a 30 minute flight. Anyway, the pee gods were with me as I put on a diaper just in case as I went to the airport and TSA actually had a 80 minute wait till we finally got through it...and I didn't have to pee! Went to the bathroom at gate, on plane, on arrival, and made it through an hour drive home! OK, it is now Monday morning. I went more than 4 hours between peeing last night. My streams have never been this strong in recent memory..meaning many years. I do still have a small amount of pain and burning when I pee and some blood. I ended up needing 7 implants and my doctor said it opened up amazingly. I asked him if 7 is the most he ever did and he said no; he has done 9. So far I am amazed at the difference. I am not allowed to lift anything over 5 pounds this entire week or exercise, but then I hopefully will be good to go. My doctor said I should be able to wean myself off Flomax. I am very positive and just wanted to share this experience.....Aloha!

Aloha All...Just thought I'd throw my 2cents into this.

Thanks very much for that report. I'm going to have to do something within the next year, so all the information I can get is most welcome.

Had a visit with the urologist today and a flow test. For the first time in 1.5 years of testing I managed to totally void my bladder. I'm happy with the urolift itself.

That said I'm still awaiting the bills from the hospital. So far my insurance company has sent me EOBs denying 25k in expenses for being out of network. I'll be anxious when the bills actually arrive.

Had a visit with the urologist today and a flow test. For the first time in 1.5 years of testing I managed to totally void my bladder. I'm happy with the urolift itself.

Heading to the hosp shortly for pre-op tests.....Green Light Laser scheduled for Nov 07. Maybe we'll have a Pee Off when the dust settles. ;)

Mine is scheduled for the 21st. We'll have to compare notes!
Heading to the hosp shortly for pre-op tests.....Green Light Laser scheduled for Nov 07. Maybe we'll have a Pee Off when the dust settles. ;)

Well, not private, but your could provide video as evidence, and let a few members judge 1st prize.

Well, not private, but your could provide video as evidence, and let a few members judge 1st prize.

Oops, did I say 'private'? I meant 'privates'. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom