US govt medical care. how does it work?

perinova

Full time employment: Posting here.
how does the medical insurance provided while working for the feds work?

when working for a new company, depending on state rule, there may be preexisting conditions and other limitations. how is the federal government different?
how much does the feds put in toward the premiums? is the cost varying from state to state?
are the insurances and rules different from state to state?

preexisting conditions?
deductibles and copays?
doctor limitations?

I am not a Fed, but I have been looking for a Fed job for a couple years now. What I have been able to figure out about the insurance is there are many different plans and providers. Here is a link about the federa health insurance.
http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp

All insurance companies that participate in the Federal program must cover anyone who selects them. No limit on preexisting conditions. Feds can switch from one insurer to another yearly during an open season. Thus, you could select a low coverage program while young and healthy or a high coverage program when you are older and sicker. You are only reimbursed up to a certain level so "high option" coverage is costly.

Edit: My nephew ran for Congress in MD in 1992. He proposed to extend a modified version of the Federal program to the entire country. Unfortunately, he lost to a very popular Republican :'(

thanks donheff, lets-retire.
looking at what the feds are providing it seems that extending the program to the country could be a good idea. I will look at the link in more detail. It might be worth writing to my congressman to revive this...

perinova said:
how much does the feds put in toward the premiums? is the cost varying from state to state?
are the insurances and rules different from state to state?
The govt pays up to 72% of the premiums (somewhat less for the more costly plans). Several nation-wide plans are available (useful if you have kids off at college). Each state/region also has several other plans available. Co-pays, doctor choices, etc. are up to the plan you choose -- an HMO, PPO, or whatever. High-deductible/HSA type plans are available. Your share of the premiums are payed out of pre-tax money. If you are covered by a Federal health plan at the moment you retire, you can continue the coverage into retirement (with the govt still picking up its 72% share).

Not directly on topic, but similar: After you work for 3 years, you are covered for disability. That is, if you are unable to continue working (in ANY job, not just your profession), then you can 'retire' on 40% of your pay. Four hours of sick leave accrue per 2 week pay period (13 days per year), with no upper limit on the amount you accumulate. Useful if you get sick 20 years into the job -- not very good if you get sick in the second month.

Back
Top Bottom