Vaping

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Two questions about vaping:

1. With the clearcut precedent of the harm of cigarette smoking, how is it that the FDA didn't jump on this before vaping became popular? I would have thought they'd have an "are you kidding me? No way!" attitude from the start and outlaw vaping.

2. Healthful vaping? I have a character who is sixty-five and smoked like a chimney on crack most of her life. I gave her a heart attack in the last book, and now I'm going to give her a heart transplant. I think I'll have her vape vitamins or something, since she can't break the smoking habit. Thoughts?

This is what she looks like:

matrix-smoker.jpg

Could she vape CBD? Or heck, even actual cannabis oil. I know people that do and say it's much more effective. Just a thought.

Could she vape CBD? Or heck, even actual cannabis oil. I know people that do and say it's much more effective. Just a thought.

Yes, excellent idea. The book takes place in Humboldt County and is heavily involved with the marijuana industry.

I don't know much about vaping—other than I see lots of people doing it these days in their cars or walking down the street, etc.—but I would think that it's far less awful for one's health than smoking cigarettes. Doesn't it entail only inhaling heated, nicotine-infused water vapor, along with some flavorings? That would seem to be significantly less dangerous than inhaling all the carcinogenic tar, carbon monoxide, ammonia, arsenic, formaldehyde, and hundreds of other noxious, poisonous chemicals in cigarette smoke.

I like your idea of having the chain-smoking character in your book vape vitamins or something healthier than tobacco... maybe CBD oil, or cannabis? (EDIT: I see SumDay beat me to this idea!)

Vaping reminds me of movie scenes of chinese opium dens.
There is a youtube video blogger that I used to watch. Recently they switched over to vaping... the way the suck on it between every sentence you would think it was their sole source of oxygen.
Compared to smoking it doesn't have the tar etc, but just watching vapers near constant sucking on a pen I suspect they are taking in a lot more nicotine and whatever else is in the soup than they got out of tobacco.

Nice thing about vaping cannabis, no telltale odors. Many of the folks who use cannabis do it in plain sight.

Last edited:
I switched from smoking to vaping 5 years ago, it's healthier.

No brown morning lugies, no gum irritation, much easier dental cleanings. No holes burned in clothing and furniture, house doesn't stink, breath doesn't stink.

Still a nicotine junkie, but not burning tobacco anymore.

Follow the money

Vaping will be considered healthier until Big Vape becomes profitable enough for armies of ambulance chasers to score really big lawsuits. Then it will be equated to genocide.

If you get to choose what she puts in her pipe... how about something lovely like chocolate, essence of raspberries or maybe some 'ocean aire'

As an aside - when my DH kicked the poison sticks years back he chewed on cinnamon sticks for several years. Maybe she could do that....

I switched from smoking to vaping 5 years ago, it's healthier.

No brown morning lugies, no gum irritation, much easier dental cleanings. No holes burned in clothing and furniture, house doesn't stink, breath doesn't stink.

Still a nicotine junkie, but not burning tobacco anymore.

I have a relative who also says it's healthier, of course he has 4 vaping things, so that he can recharge while he uses another.

The guy is addicted to it, cannot put them down, literally I never see him without one unless he is in the water swimming, once out of the water he is sucking on the tube :facepalm:

Nice thing about vaping cannabis, no telltale odors. Many of the folks who use cannabis do it in plain sight.

Interesting about lack of odor in vaping cannabis. I've certainly detected odors when in the vicinity of someone who is vaping.

Interesting about lack of odor in vaping cannabis. I've certainly detected odors when in the vicinity of someone who is vaping.

There is odor... just not a lot. I live in a legal weed state and can attest to this. Important to remember that regular smokers have diminished smellers.. Non-smokers can smell both the vapor and the telltale odor when someone exhales nearby. ;)

True. Non-smoker here. I can smell weed being smoked or vaped about a mile away it seems. I should get a gig with Live PD.

There are many different types of vapes and substances to use in them.

Dry herb vapes are much like combustion and do produce some smell. For smokers who want to quit these are the most like smoking. Names like Mighty and Dynavape are good examples. Many folks add other herbs to their dry herb vapes for other effects.

510 type vapes are great for carts and distillates. These can be cheap and include pre-loaded disposable vapes. When you are using distillates the raw form has lost its smell and flavor, i.e. it no longer tastes or smells like cannabis, when vaped it has little smell. Folks add terpenes back in to give the experience flavor and smell. Ever smelled a vape like blueberries? That's the terps! You have no idea what is being vaporized! Could be CBD, THC, nicotine, or horse manure. It's 2019 and cannibis no longer smells, tastes, or looks like the 1970s( ever seen purple cannibis?).

Keep in mind many folks refill their own carts with homemade juice. You have no idea what you're smelling.

Last edited:
There are many different types of vapes and substances to use in them.

Dry herb vapes are much like combustion and do produce some smell. For smokers who want to quit these are the most like smoking. Names like Mighty and Dynavape are good examples. Many folks add other herbs to their dry herb vapes for other effects.

510 type vapes are great for carts and distillates. These can be cheap and include pre-loaded disposable vapes. When you are using distillates the raw form has lost its smell and flavor, i.e. it no longer tastes or smells like cannabis, when vaped it has little smell. Folks add terpenes back in to give the experience flavor and smell. Ever smelled a vape like blueberries? That's the terps! You have no idea what is being vaporized! Could be CBD, THC, nicotine, or horse manure. It's 2019 and cannibis no longer smells, tastes, or looks like the 1970s( ever seen purple cannibis?).

Keep in mind many folks refill their own carts with homemade juice. You have no idea what you're smelling.

This has been a real education for me!

She doesn't look like as many miles as you are describing....she has lots of hair and her skin isn't that bad for 65. Have you seen a crack addict? Few survive to 65.

2. Healthful vaping? I have a character who is sixty-five and smoked like a chimney on crack most of her life. I gave her a heart attack in the last book, and now I'm going to give her a heart transplant. I think I'll have her vape vitamins or something, since she can't break the smoking habit. Thoughts?

matrix-smoker.jpg

I recently got a Medical Marijuana card. No smell (very very little) from vaped oil. NY prohibits sale of raw flowers and requires vaping or ingestion due to health concerns.

matrix-smoker.jpg

She looks like the Oracle?

I read about people vaping vitamins. B12 to be specific. I give my self B12 shots so it interested me. Unfortunately, I can’t get over the belief that inhaling pretty much anything is bad for your lungs. Better than smoking, sure, but still bad. One article I read was about how the flavoring was causing problems. I’ll stick with the shots for now, but keep an eye on it. Now that I’m good at it, the shots aren’t too bad to handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read about people vaping vitamins. B12 to be specific. I give my self B12 shots so it interested me. Unfortunately, I can’t get over the belief that inhaling pretty much anything is bad for your lungs. Better than smoking, sure, but still bad. One article I read was about how the flavoring was causing problems. I’ll stick with the shots for now, but keep an eye on it. Now that I’m good at it, the shots aren’t too bad to handle.

good read here about vaping vitamins... https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-raises-wariness-among-scientists/?redirect=1

Vaping isn't (yet) regulated, and there's little documented independent study that I've seen. There's also a heckuva lot of interest in keeping it that way, and a lot of big business around it.

I'm particularly troubled by stories about Juul and the way the product is marketed to kids. Ok maybe not marketed in the traditional sense, but the flavors and styling of the product in a way that has huge appeal to teens. They've already made several recent changes, but the sad truth is that many kids that would never have smoked are using nicotine via vaping.

Of course, if vaping is a viable alternative that allows a smoker to finally quit, then it has an upside. I'm just not comfortable with the trade off right now, personally.

And I don't find getting caught in someone's cloud of vape-exhale any less gross than their cloud of exhaled cigarette smoke. Even if it's mango flavored.

She would not be qualified for a transplant while she smoked or vaped anything .Transplant candidates have rigorous exams to make sure they can make it . I would down grade her to a quadruple bypass.

She would not be qualified for a transplant while she smoked or vaped anything .Transplant candidates have rigorous exams to make sure they can make it . I would down grade her to a quadruple bypass.
Very true! I had a good friend who was trying to get a liver transplant in Seattle area and they rejected him because he admitted smoking marijuana. He was told to come back after a "clean period" for more testing but he didn't make it. He knew that was the case but didn't think they would check.

Good info. Let's say she stops smoking after her heart attack. How long would it be before she would be allowed a transplant?

How about if she's super healthy (due to genetics) otherwise?

How about some lucky circumstance under which she'd get one? For example, let's say a heart is found for someone else nearby, but that person gets sick or something before the operation. It's either give it to Louella or throw it away.

By good luck, I mentioned a transplant in the previous book even though I hadn't planned on doing a sequel.

5hrY2D4.png

Back
Top Bottom