Venting About my Stupid Sister

Sad, but sometimes people you care for make really stupid decisions, and there is not much a person can do to change their minds.

As a minor example:
Friend of mine took expensive courses from a meditation yogi and was bragging to me about it. I told him I'd take the courses as soon as he could show me he was able to levitate or turn invisible.... :facepalm:

While I often do "navel gazing" and contemplate the meaning of life, I definitely would not pay to learn meditation.

However, placebo effects are real and often measurable in the physical sense, and in the case of your friend it is all about his mental state. If he is happy and feel well, he is happy and well. Is there such a thing as the placebo effect in his case? It's all about the state of mind.

By the way, by myself I am usually restful and in a calm state. But if I had to attend any religious sermon, I would grow restless and nervous. I am sure plenty of people feel the opposite.

Last edited:
People say that when you're diagnosed, you've probably had the disease for five years.

DH has PD. He was diagnosed in January of 2011. He retired in July of 2008, but I'm now certain that he had the illness for at least 2 years prior to his retirement, so yes, it is typical to receive the diagnosis, years after onset. Fortunately, DH's progression has been very slow. He is on 2 meds at this point. The carbidopa levidopa is very effective and his dosage is still fairly minimal. We know folks though who can't tolerate that med and are treated with a different product. Every PD patient has a unique path on their journey. One of the greatest things that DH does that his Doc feels is crucial is to exercise frequently. Exercise is universally considered a helpful component of care. DH always did workout, so it has not been a struggle to undertake a near daily routine of walking on a treadmill.

She goes to a rigorous boxing class for PD patients three times a week. It's really intense.

I think there is a book in this Al.

Quite right. It inspired this exchange which I wrote today. Carly is the main character's twin sister.

AX88ScW.png

Stopping effective treatment is hard to understand but people do that

That's part of venting. ;)

Back
Top Bottom