Vitamin D: amounts needed?

Ok got my bloodwork back today. Taking 50,000 units once a month for a period of 4 months moved my reading from 28 to 36, so that shows how much you have to take to actually move your levels.

Wow, DangerMouse - and you live in a sunny climate, right? Imagine how deficient those of us in the north are.

I went to the doc's office on Monday and made my request in person. Same questions, same "what possible value could the test results have for a a mere human like you" attitude. Doc approved and I got our results.

Nobody cares as much about your health as you do. It must be driving doctors nuts to deal with educated patients nowadays. Thank goodness for the net. If not for that, I probably would have had to get rid of my gallbladder years ago instead of flushing it naturally.

Had a checkup today. My Dr told me 400 was fine on Vitamin D. Young guy seemed to know his stuff. He just mentioned woman should have more calcium blah blah I kinda tuned out after that. He was not really impressed with multivitamins. Im getting to the point where I really think the small things dont matter. 400...1000,2000. Whatever.... If you make it past 80 good for you. Have a drink and keep on playing. My inlaws are a prime example for me. Good genes hard workers into their later stages. MIL keeps on feeling FIL good stuff. I just think its all on how you are made. Just get some exercise and enjoy life.

Nobody cares as much about your health as you do. It must be driving doctors nuts to deal with educated patients nowadays. Thank goodness for the net. If not for that, I probably would have had to get rid of my gallbladder years ago instead of flushing it naturally.

The most maddening thing about the gatekeeper at the doctor's office is she is about 20 years old. I was 99% sure the doc would release the test results prior to the follow-up visit. If he didn't approve the release, he would no longer be our doctor because it only makes sense a "good" doctor would want us to be prepared for a follow-up visit.

Had a checkup today. My Dr told me 400 was fine on Vitamin D. Young guy seemed to know his stuff. He just mentioned woman should have more calcium blah blah I kinda tuned out after that. He was not really impressed with multivitamins. Im getting to the point where I really think the small things dont matter. 400...1000,2000. Whatever.... If you make it past 80 good for you. Have a drink and keep on playing. My inlaws are a prime example for me. Good genes hard workers into their later stages. MIL keeps on feeling FIL good stuff. I just think its all on how you are made. Just get some exercise and enjoy life.

Have your had a test to determine your Vitamin D level?

Have your had a test to determine your Vitamin D level?

No. I got the the usual tests. Im HIV free btw with a sweet blood sugar level and great cholesterol. Oh we wont talk so much about blood pressure he was eying me up to reduce my salt. HA!

Went for our follow-up appointment on Tuesday. Dr. Young was happy with everything except our Vitamin D levels and inadequate protein intake. Our Vitamin D levels are at 45 and he'd like to see them closer to 100. He said the sooner the better. He also recommended a protein powder supplement (non-denatured, processed at low temp) to ensure we are getting our 1 gram per 2 pounds of bodyweight.

Told him we were taking about 4,000 IU's per day and he said to push that to 10,000. He offers 100,000 IU shots for $10 each which I thought was very reasonable when you look at the price of Vitamin D supplements. DH and I each took one of those and will probably do several more of those in the next couple of months to try and get our levels up as soon as possible.

We started taking 4000 IU's of Vitamin D per day about 2 months ago after going to a talk by Dr. Young. The improvement in my overall feeling of well-being, improved energy level, elevated mood, and lack of brain fog has been dramatic. I was really starting to get worried and wondered what was wrong with me. I was 50 years old feeling like 100.

You can hear an interview with Dr. Young at this website where he talks about going back to the basics of biochemistry and physiology to lay the proper foundation for good health at the cell membrane level instead of treating symptoms with more drugs. It's a refreshing approach. “This is nothing new,” Young said. “I just went back to what the old boys were doing at the big institutions and I looked at the Nobel Prizes.”

Natural Health Science News - John-Young-MD

A nice thing about his practice is they are well-structured for cash paying customers. Since he's a bit non-traditional, it's not unusual for charges to not be covered by insurance. The Vitamin D shot is a good example. They have a self-pay price for everything and I consider the prices to be reasonable. The new patient visit was an hour with DH and I for $125 a head or a total of $250. The follow-up visit was 30 minutes with DH and I for $70 a head or $140. Back in OH, I would be charged (and insurance would allow) $80 for a 5 minute follow-up appointment.

Back
Top Bottom