Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep...I can go for the attitude of "do it at the speed you will keep doing it" at. But...in reality...I agree with this...but....sometimes you just have to get off your butt and do it. I don't like dieting....but whether I like it or not....just suck it up and do it. I fully believe in doing the activity that you like the best...or, as I used to tell my PE students....the activity you dislike the least. Sometimes you just have to do what is good for you....no matter how much you don't want to.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #22

My walk-behind lawnmower is a merciless pacesetter. It has a 42" deck and mows at 4.5 MPH. I just hang on and keep the operator presence lever depressed. Early this season it will have 1000 hours on the hour meter.

It takes me about 3.5 hours to mow my front yard. I can do that in one session when the weather is cool. When it is 95 degrees, I break that into 2 or 3 sessions. When it is 95 degrees I can sweat off up to 10 LB during a session. The mowing season here is March through November.

The mower is also an excellent physical therapy machine. Since I've had the mower, I've had a broken ankle and a knee damaged in an auto wreck. Both required surgery. I recovered quickly and fully using the mower.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad was a fast walker. I used to tell him that he didn't need to, he should slow down. His reply was always along the lines of "I enjoy a brisk walk. And I know the day will come when I won't be able to choose to walk briskly. Until that day comes I am going to make the most of it". For me that was good advice. So now I walk at a brisk pace, and will for as long as I am able to. DW does as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
<SNIP>
It takes me about 3.5 hours to mow my front yard.
"Benjamin, I have one word for you. Plastic." Or, make that concrete or asphalt or AstroTurf. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #25

not much excercise to cut my grass, I sit on the lawnmower. what do you posters use to keep track of your blood pressure and heart rate? and what is the aerobic zone?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
not much excercise to cut my grass, I sit on the lawnmower. what do you posters use to keep track of your blood pressure and heart rate? and what is the aerobic zone?
Good place to start for answers... Target Heart Rates. Just search "target heart rate" - lots of sources.

Heart rate monitors are pretty cheap (watch & chest band), $50-$100 for a basic model. But they're not required by any means. FWIW even the most basic HRMs have alarms you can set at whatever level you want to let you know when you are below target (ie, series of spaced single beeps) or above target (ie, CONTINUOUS beeping).
Quote:
Now you’re ready to determine your target training heart rate. As you exercise, periodically:
• Take your pulse on the inside of your wrist, on the thumb side. [While walking, I find it easier to get a pulse on my neck - carotid artery]
• Use the tips of your first two fingers (not your thumb) to press lightly over the blood vessels on your wrist. [Neck]
• Count your pulse for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to find your beats per minute. [Or count for 6 seconds and multiply by 10 - easier IMO. And a precise number isn't all that important]. You want to stay between 50 percent to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. This range is your target heart rate.

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neck-pulse.jpg (16.4 KB, 35 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #27

There are a couple main theories on max heart rate and target heart rate out there. Midpack notes the most commonly used (simpler) max HR calculation. If you are interested, here is a calculator for you to try.

http://www.runningforfitness.org/cal...bmit=Calculate

R
Old 03-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #28

I want to thank all you posters for the great information.

frank
Old 03-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
not much excercise to cut my grass, I sit on the lawnmower.
Getting a bit more exercise is precisely why I use a walk-behind mower and don't pay the neighbor kid/service to do it for me. I also find that I know the yard better - spotting weeds and other problems as I walk the yard each week.