Want to stop smoking

bbbamI said:
I'm not at the point where I want to tell my family and friends because if I lapse I would feel more guilt.
Depending on your family & "friends", that might actually be a support group. Admittedly it depends on the family & friends and it might not work for everyone.

It's like having a workout buddy or telling everyone that you're going to the gym at a certain day/time. Once you've made that commitment to the possibility of public attention, humiliation, or even abuse then you'll follow through to avoid being seen missing a commitment.

About the straw-- you might want to consider a patent or at least a trademark. "Suck it up, America!!"

I figured out later that smoking a cigarette was something I did more frequently than anything except breathing. The mechanics of lighting up were so damned automatic that I would find myself with a lighted match in my hand with no idea where it came from.

Apparently this is quite common.

A coworker mentioned that one time (10 years after quitting and having no cravings) he was driving the RV at night and he noticed his right hand was reaching into his left shirt pocket seemingly on its own. When he was smoking, driving the RV at night was one of the 'triggers'.

For my mother, it was when she answered the phone.

Khan said:
Apparently this is quite common.
A coworker mentioned that one time (10 years after quitting and having no cravings) he was driving the RV at night and he noticed his right hand was reaching into his left shirt pocket seemingly on its own. When he was smoking, driving the RV at night was one of the 'triggers'.
For my mother, it was when she answered the phone.
I was so surprised by its effect on me that I wrote that "old habits die hard" thread.

Totally unconscious behavior. The act of quitting requires far more self-monitoring than most of us, including me, are capable of achieving. I guess that accounts for the ubiquity of AA meetings.

if you don't want to stop for your health, how about stopping for the health of those around you. my great aunt was a heavy smoker for most of her life yet died at 94 of old age. she quit smoking when her husband, who never smoked, died of lung cancer in his 60s.

even if you do not smoke in the presence of others, would you rather a young person see you smoking, or see you not smoking? be who you want to see.

as to family & friends, that can be a two-edged sword. on the one hand, as nords suggests, they can be a good support system. but on the other hand, as they already have an image in their head of you smoking, you will need to break not just your habit, but their image.

"i'm too noncommittal to have an addictive personality"~~me

My Grandma died at 61 from lung cancer. Not sure how many packs a day she puffed, but to put it in simple terms...I never remember seeing her without one in her mouth! She was diagnosed with cancer, and quit smoking at the same time she quit breathing....she wouldn't give them up.

My Dad smoked for about 40 years, until he was rushed to the emergency room from w*rk one day. He was puffing 3 packs a day. He was having trouble breathing and our family doctor told him he had pneumonia, and checked him into the hospital for a couple of days. Doc told him he had a choice, either quit smoking....or die! (the bluntness was needed because Doc knew Dad was REAL stubborn)

Dad ALWAYS bragged that he could stop smoking anytime he wanted to. The response from everyone to that brag was "yeah, right!". Well, since he didn't have keen thoughts about croaking, he made up his mind to quit right then and there. That was 1982....he never lit up again! While he was still w*rking (retired in '87) he carried a pack in his shirt pocket everyday 'just in case'. The day he retired, he tossed them in the drawer in the kitchen, where they stayed until we tossed them out when he died in '99 at 74. (neither smoking nor lung cancer were the cause of his demise)

A close friend of mine (a 2 packer) did the hypnosis thing, and it worked for him. Even though before he went, he said there was no way in h*ll he could be hypnotized, and even if he could be, it wouldn't work!! He was wrong!! It worked!

So, best of luck in your pursuit of kicking the habit!!! Whether 'cold turkey', the patch, hypnosis, or whatever....it'll be one of the best things you ever do for yourself...and for your friends and family!!! Hang in there!!!

grumpy said:
I think the simple answer is: if you want to quit smoking, just keep trying to quit. I quit seven times before it became final. The first six times I went back to smoking, each time, more disappointed in myself. The seventh time was the charm (its been 30 years now). You will eventually reach the point where the urge to smoke disappears. Good luck.

Grumpy
I went through the same thing. Two packs a day for about 14 years. Then two or three years of off and on trying to quit. I think I lasted almost a year smoking more than a pack a day without buying any -- new companies were handing out boat loads of free packs and I bummed a lot. After about 5 false starts it finally worked. In retrospect I could feel the difference -- the commitment just wasn't there the first few times and was when I actually quit. It wasn't really hard to quit but I did miss them, especially with coffee or a beer. For several years had dreams where I lit up and all my efforts were ruined.

Conclusion. It sucks, you waste money and you are basically killing yourself plus harming those around you. I just got to the point and said screw it. I hated smoking and I hated quitting. It was horrible. :LOL:

This may sound silly, but I quit by lying to myself. Yes that's absolutly true.
The mere thought of not having a cigarette with my coffee after a good meal or dinner out with friends was just unimaginable. The habit was was part of my life style.

Well, I got sick with the flu and had a very sore throat. Now smoking with a bad sore throat is like pouring salt on an open wound. So, I said to myself, since it was rather distatsteful anyway with my sore throat.
"Ill just wait another hour before I light up." When the hour past, I said to myself , "Ill just wait for two more hours." The times got longer and longer. Instead of thinking "forever" or no more, I concentrated on hours. I went to bed that night saying to myself. "I won't have a cigarette until the morning."

And so it went. And I haven't smoked since.

I've read these posts several times over. You guys are incredible. :)

It's been a rough couple of days because I've been beating myself up over this and dreading the next couple of weeks. I've smoked 3 cigs today and am doing pretty well...DH and cats are still alive. :)

This decision is overwhelmingly emotional. Thank you so much for listening and sharing. It really means a lot to me.

One hour, one day, one week at a time.

bbbamI said:
One hour, one day, one week at a time.

Exactly. I've heard a lot of folks say that the thought of quitting "foerever" was just too much. So, they quit for the next hour. Rhen the hour after that. Gradually it got easier.

And, the same rationale seems appropriate if you backslide--okay, you haven't failed "forever." As long as you are not smoking you are winning.

Another reason to do it--to deprive those b**tards at Phillip Morrris or American Tobacco of any more profit from your pocket.

bbbamI said:
It's been a rough couple of days because I've been beating myself up over this and dreading the next couple of weeks. I've smoked 3 cigs today and am doing pretty well...DH and cats are still alive. :)
You are on your way to victory sounds like. You are going to be looking for sustitutes and developing new cravings. Make sure you have a ton of fruit on hand for relentless snacking. I was big on grapes, bananas, slices of apple and pineapple. Veggie sticks are cool as well. That way you are stuffing yourself with good food while you avoid the evil cigs. Maybe have some nicotine gum on hand for those times you just can't take it. Make the gum what you fall back on when you have a temporary failure. That way you can feel bad for failing (for an instant) but you won't be hurting yourself as a result. (that makes sense when I think it, but I don't know if it does when I type it :D)
You can do it. :)

I smoked a pack a day and during extremely stressful times, like investigating a friends suicide, I would go up to three packs a day. One day I just didn't want to buy a pack of cigarettes after I finished the pack I had. I never had cravings or wanted a cigarette, until I went back into the military. I started smoking again for a short period, at the stupidity of the deployments. The boss would send people who didn't want to go, in place of sending those who were as qualified and wanted to go. That time quiting was the hardest. Whenever I would think of a lifetime of not smoking it was almost overwhelming. I would keep thinking about the 12-step theory of one day at a time. Sometimes that was shortened to one hour at a time, but in the end, I quit and it has held for several years now. After a couple weeks the cravings start to subside then after a few months I only had a craving every once in a while. Now that I'm off them and really don't have cravings too often. When I do get a craving I found that a small dose of second hand smoke cures it for a long time.

3 cigs, 2 carrots, a gallon of water and 2 straws.

I realized tonight that I'm a menopausal drug addict. :eek: Shoot me now. :dead:

:D

Congrats. You're on a "one pack-a-week" pace--that will be a kick in the crotch to Phillip Morris. Did you chew the straws down to nothing?
This is going to great for your health and your bank account.
During the many times my dad quit, he would comment on how much better food tasted. But, he smoked 2 packs a day--I'd guess folks who smoke less might not have the same diminshed sense of taste.

bbbamI said:
3 cigs, 2 carrots, a gallon of water and 2 straws.
You are on your way to success. Do you realize that 2 of the 4 food groups above are good for you and one is a neutral?
Victory will soon be yours. Ah maybe you could replace the cigs with nicotine gum about now :-\
I have no idea how to deal with that other problem you mention ;)

samclem said:
Congrats. You're on a "one pack-a-week" pace--that will be a kick in the crotch to Phillip Morris. Did you chew the straws down to nothing?
This is going to great for your health and your bank account.
During the many times my dad quit, he would comment on how much better food tasted. But, he smoked 2 packs a day--I'd guess folks who smoke less might not have the same diminshed sense of taste.

Many ex-smokers have mentioned new tasting and smelling experiences, and having vivid dreams.

The straws look pitiful that's for sure. The most I have ever smoked has been 1 pack a day. I have 1 pack left and am going to allow myself no more than 3 cigs a day. After this pack is gone, there will be no more purchases. So if anyone has stock in the co, you might want to sell now! :D

If I'm still having a hard time, I guess I'll try an aid. I'm trying to quit in my own way. Maybe the way I'm doing it now will work. If it doesn't, I'll know I have another option.

I've never really tried to quit before. I know this is going to work, because quite frankly I'm mad as h*ll and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Maybe this "menopause" thing came in handy after all! :LOL:

:LOL:

I told my DH last night that I had emptied the rifle and had filed my fingernails to a smooth short look.

bbbamI said:
The straws look pitiful that's for sure. The most I have ever smoked has been 1 pack a day. I have 1 pack left and am going to allow myself no more than 3 cigs a day. After this pack is gone, there will be no more purchases. So if anyone has stock in the co, you might want to sell now! :D

If I'm still having a hard time, I guess I'll try an aid. I'm trying to quit in my own way. Maybe the way I'm doing it now will work. If it doesn't, I'll know I have another option.

I've never really tried to quit before. I know this is going to work, because quite frankly I'm mad as h*ll and I'm not gonna take it anymore!

Maybe this "menopause" thing came in handy after all! :LOL:

I remember being very angry about it. I thought about the money I would save etc. Hey whatever it takes!

long time smoker (pack-a-day) ... tried many times to quit. i've used gum/patch/meds/hypnosis ... all with virtually no result ... certainly no long term result. BUT, one year ago i was convinced to try Nicotrol Inhaler ... amazing! (nothing ventured, nothing gained.) since starting i've been at 3-5 cigarettes per day ... currently using 3 nicotrol cartridges per day, supplemented with 3 pieces of nicorette (2mg).

i'm obviously still getting some nicotine, though a substantially reduced amount. it seems that the inhaler does much to "satisfy" the hand/mouth aspect of smoking, and the nicorette provides an occasional boost when the urge gets dangerously strong. the 3-5 cigarettes which remain ... well, we'll work on that later. for the moment, i'm counting this as success.

J....thanks for asking. :)

My day went pretty well. I busied myself with working out in the yard. Most of the time the dreaded cig was off my mind, but every once in a while it would start to nag me. I've had my 3 cigs as planned. Later this afternoon I talked to my mom (she and dad live 2 states away). She has smoked all of her life (at least 2 packs a day) and dad used to smoke but he quit several years ago. Anyhoo I told her that I was kicking the habit. She said she was very proud of me....then started talking about how at her age she'll continue to smoke because she really enjoys it. She said that the doc told her that her lungs are fine.

Sigh.

I love my parents more than life itself, but over the years I have learned that their ways aren't always the best. It's kind of sad.

Last night, I really got the "jitters", but today and tonight have been much better.

d....I think if I can't go this alone, I will opt for an inhaler...and yes if I were you (and I kinda am) I would consider this a success also. :)

bbbamI said:
I love my parents more than life itself, but over the years I have learned that their ways aren't always the best. It's kind of sad.

My parents were wonderful. Both smoked, and both died of it before they were 60. I remember when I was young they told my sister and I very frequently what a dumb, stupid habit it was, and how easy it was to get hooked, and how hard it is to quit. Mom even made me take a big drag on a cigarette when i was 8, knowing I would nearly gag to death. I saw them try to quit, and I saw the disappointment and the tears when they felt broken and beaten by the habit. My sister and I frequently asked them to stop, hoping it would help them get the motivation to finally win. They tried, but they couldn't, or didn't, quit, and it killed them.

But, my sis and I learned something at least--neither of us has ever taken up smoking. And, so far, neither have our kids.

I've never smoked because my parents did, and I always felt it was a gruesome habit. Seeing the insides of smokers' lungs in anatomy classes in med school clinched the deal. I had one classmate who managed to give such a graphic description of same that she managed to convince her dad to quit.

bbbamI, you deserve all our support. We're all rootin' for ya!

Back
Top Bottom