Want to stop smoking

Three months...
timebomb.gif
:p

Watch out...I think HFWR is gonna blow! :eek:

It's been 6 months for me. I've finally got that feral look out of my eyes. Hang in there buddy...it will get better.

It really does get better. 30 years, 1 month, and 23 days for me since I quit. For me, the craving got to be very mild and easy to handle after a year or eighteen months, and disappeared completely after about 5 years.

If there is one thing I would not do, it is to pick up another cigarette. Now that I have quit smoking, I never, never, NEVER want to have to go through that again!!!!:uglystupid:

I used the Pep-O-Mint lifesavers. I think that was what they were called - - the ones with the blue wrapper and white letters. Bought them by the case and went through several while going cold turkey. I had tried every other method known to man to quit, and cold turkey was the only one that worked for me.

What ever it takes to quit is great. But, if you are sucking on mints all day, make sure their sugar-free otherwise you'll be trading in the cigarettes for a mouth full of decayed teeth.

What ever it takes to quit is great. But, if you are sucking on mints all day, make sure their sugar-free otherwise you'll be trading in the cigarettes for a mouth full of decayed teeth.

It's always something...

You're right - - it's always something!! In my case, I lucked out. For some strange reason (and I can't figure it out either), my dentist LOVED the effect on my teeth. He said he had never seen my teeth looking so healthy. I think it might be due to less tobacco stains and better circulation in the gums? I don't know if that's possible or logical, but I can't imagine why else he would say that. No new cavities, either (and there should have been! I ate a TON of those lifesavers over the first month). He asked if I was brushing more, or got a waterpick. I never told him that I quit smoking. :2funny:

1 yr 2 months The urge still hits once in a while - manageable so far.

heh heh heh

Lost my Dad (age 52) and a younger brother (age 54) to lung ca. Dad quit in his thirites but worked on a railroad with diesel blowback and in and among steel mill toxins. My brother smoked all his adult life and also worked in toxic places. No doubt, I have a genetic vulnerability to the disease and was extremely pleased when Ohio voted to ban smoking in public areas. For me, sharing public spaces with smokers,it was not simply a matter of smelly clothes, irritated eyes, and interference with tasting food, it was a matter of lowering my probablility of triggering the disease. I understand the power of the addiction. There is still much pissing and moaning around here by bar owners but most are still crammed. It breaks my heart to see so many students on campus smoking between classes and the majority, by my observation, are female.

Yeah, but then you could go to that dentist and get your boobs rubbed for free.

I quit during Reagan's first administration. No patches back then, so it was cold turkey. And it took several tries before I was successful. Here's what finally worked for me.

I planned several weeks in advance which day I would quit. I also took vacation the first week to avoid additional stress. I smoked normally the day before I quit and had my last cigarette at bed time the evening before. So I went through some of the withdrawal while sleeping.

I did give myself some oral substitutes: toothpicks, cough drops, gum, etc. Tried to stay busy to take my mind off of it. After a few days the craving went away.

What does one do when you wake up, heart racing and you need to light one up to calm down?

What does one do when you wake up, heart racing and you need to light one up to calm down?

Drink a glass of water. Get up and get a lifesaver. Walk around a little. Eventually, go back to sleep. Do NOT light up or you will have to start all over again. It stops happening, eventually.

Exercise - walk or run, do jumping jacks, anything, but do not light up.

Congratulations!!! As I recall (remember though, it's been 30 years), after six months I didn't have the physical craving but I would occasionally think of a cigarette and wonder if it was worth it. Those thoughts disappeared forever after about two years. You are over the worst of it. Isn't it great to be a non-smoker? :D

My problem is cigarillo's,usually 5 to 6 per day.Just gave it up for 3 weeks on my family trip to Florida but started again once back home.Main problem for me about quitting is i feel like whats the point of life without a smoke? sometimes i wonder if i'm not just a cigars way of smoking another cigar.
What ever peoples level of addiction is i must have it bad
I am hoping the Alan Carr approach will help.Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking > Home

Last edited:
My problem is cigarillo's,usually 5 to 6 per day.Just gave it up for 3 weeks on my family trip to Florida but started again once back home.Main problem for me about quitting is i feel like whats the point of life without a smoke?

So, you have to know what the meaning of life is before you will consider quitting? And I thought I was great with rationalizing things. I think you take the cake. :rolleyes:

sometimes i wonder if i'm not just a cigars way of smoking another cigar.
What ever peoples level of addiction is i must have it bad
I am hoping the Alan Carr approach will help.Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking > Home

Good luck with that. Over about ten years I tried a lot of methods and aids to stop smoking, and what finally worked for me was: (drumroll)

to actually stop smoking.

jambo, my brother was a two-pack-a-day guy for about 8 years. He cut out cigarettes and for years got by on three cigarillos a day - one after every meal. Not sure how much good it did as he still developed lung cancer. He's now in hospice care.

... i feel like whats the point of life without a smoke?

I'm sure he could provide you with an answer to that question.

Back
Top Bottom