Waterpik. Get one.

Does the waterpick take the place of flossing or is it more an replacement tootbrush. I like my electric soniccare. I am very irregular with flossing although I sometimes use the Denteks.

In my opinion it should not replace either one. However, its role is closer to the floss function than to toothbrushing. It has almost nothing to do with tooth brushing.

BTW, my Waterpik broke last night. Suddenly started leaking from the handle.

The old ones were US manufactured and lasted and lasted. The Chinese ones do not last long at all- this is my second crap-out in only a few years.

Ha

Another thing I like to do is add some Listerine mouthwash to the water container (actually suggested in the waterpick manual). Feels super refreshing like I just came out of the dentist.

My dentist also suggested this (though I could cheat by using the generic equivalent).

Better to use the Oral B mouthwash with no alcohol.
- flossing
- Waterpik
- toothbrush
- Oral B mouthwash
takes about 5 minutes a day. Then just brush the other time.

Since I started this thread here is a update.
Today had my 4 month
cleaning since I started with the waterpik.
No bleeding,no pain, nothing much to scrape, gums are pink and in good
shape. Seems I did blow off a plastic surface filling I had on the side of a tooth, sort of like high pressure sprayer for you house.
Anyway I am sticking to my story, if you have gum problems.
Waterpik- Get one, your gums will thank you.
Old Mike

I like my Sonic Care toothbrush. Also use Sensodyne Pro-enamel toothpaste recommended by my dentist. I floss thoroughly every night which I think helps a lot. When I travel I just use any old kind of soft toothbrush(Dollar Store) which I pitch when I get home.

Old Mike: I saw your post in April and went out and bought one that weekend. Have been using it since. I used to use one about 15 years ago, the unit was big and not as convenient, I gave that up.

Thanks for motivating me to go out and replaced my old one. I enjoy using it now, I do two rounds each night, on weekends I use it both in the morning and at night.

mP

Better to use the Oral B mouthwash with no alcohol.
- flossing
- Waterpik
- toothbrush
- Oral B mouthwash
takes about 5 minutes a day. Then just brush the other time.

Breath RX is another good brand to use no alcohol.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with tooth/gum problems. I have no dental ins. I DO floss after brushing but it still doesn't do the trick. I'm happy to hear what others are doing for their teeth problems.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with tooth/gum problems. I have no dental ins. I DO floss after brushing but it still doesn't do the trick. I'm happy to hear what others are doing for their teeth problems.

I'm right there with with you......

Deep pockets in my gums, but not in my wallet. I'm on the 4 month cleaning schedule with my dentist... and still receive poor reports about the health of my gums. They are pressuring me to see a periodontist who would probably want to do gum flap surgery. I really don't want to do this and I'm resisting.

I spend more time cleaning my teeth than anyone else I know. Sometimes, life isn't fair :(

Folks. If the waterpik breaks every 6 months, I don't care. The amazing results
I have had with my gums is worth it. I was just a step away from the periodontist
and all their wonderful procedures.
I brushed with an electric toothbrush,flossed, mouthwash, took care of my teeth,
had them cleaned every 6 months and still had gum problems.
Old Mike

I used to use one about 15 years ago, the unit was big and not as convenient, I gave that up.

In what way is the new one more convenient?

I'm on the 4 month cleaning schedule with my dentist... and still receive poor reports about the health of my gums. They are pressuring me to see a periodontist who would probably want to do gum flap surgery. I really don't want to do this and I'm resisting.

I spend more time cleaning my teeth than anyone else I know. Sometimes, life isn't fair :(

I have used a Waterpik for decades. I floss, brush, and use the Waterpik immediately after a meal when I am home, which means I clean my teeth about 3 times a day. I was so sure of my dental health that I neglected to have cleaning done for about 18 months. The result was that I recently lost a molar to an infection. I have had only 3 cavities, and those were in my 20s. This is the first tooth I lost, and it made me very sad.

So, life isn't fair. A lot about gum disease is hereditary. People in third world countries do not have dental care like we do, yet not all of them become toothless as they age. You and I are among the few unfortunate ones, at least as it comes to gums. :greetings10:

I also have a big problem with kidney stones, which is a whole 'nother story.

Eh :confused:

Perhaps you have an invention for kidney stone treatment that urologists would never dream of?

I use this dental floss called cleanpaste by Johnson and Johnson.

It's a braided floss. It gets your teeth a lot cleaner IMO than the regular floss.

My problem is I can't get it in bulk. I used to use about 5-6 feet of it at a time but I cut back to about 3-4 now. So I use a lot of it!

As far as bleeding goes other than one spot my gums never bleed when I floss. It might be the type of floss that I use or that I floss everyday.

My gums did bleed when I would floss as a little kid but I did not floss everyday then.

My teeth just do not feel clean if I do not floss everyday.

Jim

I have used a Waterpik for decades. I floss, brush, and use the Waterpik immediately after a meal when I am home, which means I clean my teeth about 3 times a day.
I'm not an expert, but all that brushing and mechanical manipulation sounds like it could be tough on delicate gum tissue. I know that using anything but the softest toothbrush and a light touch can cause receding gums in some people, and that's with twice-a-day brushing.

There's no point in keeping those pearly whites cavity free if they fall out because the gums are worn down and the germies can thus get a foothold in the pockets. I think there's a balance to be struck, and that sometimes less can be more in this area.

Back
Top Bottom