Join Early Retirement Today

Nothing from Anthem, but Welcome from their HSA Admin!
Old 01-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing from Anthem, but Welcome from their HSA Admin!

In today's mail I got papers from BenefitWallet, who works with Bank of NY Mellon, the custodian of HSAs for Anthem.

Apparently Anthem has told BenefitWallet about our HDHP with HSA, but Anthem has not yet sent us any paperwork, nor have they charged my credit card. In fact, I went in a 2nd time and made another payment, after I received that 3rd "pay up" letter, as well as a couple of reminders from CoveredCA.

I have a 2nd email that confirms I have made my initial payment, but nothing has hit my credit card.

At least I got some new mail.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
In fact, I went in a 2nd time and made another payment, after I received that 3rd "pay up" letter, as well as a couple of reminders from CoveredCA.
Same here -- I've paid three times.

Maybe that's their strategy, get everyone to pay several times, then cash in and flee the country.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Same here -- I've paid three times.

Maybe that's their strategy, get everyone to pay several times, then cash in and flee the country.
It's the new strategy to make up for all the young and healthy people who aren't signing up.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #124

I paid online and it was never charged to my account. When I got the bill in the mail, I sent back a check for the payment. I saw that it had been cashed yesterday. Maybe that will do the trick.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #125

We paid, our credit card was debited and we received our new cards. The old COBRA provider never sent us the 2014 rate information and payment coupons for this year and we didn't bother to ask for the info, because we already knew we were doing far better on the exchange. Today I went to the pharmacy to pick up a refill and the old provider had already approved the refill. We are sending them a second cancellation message.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I've actually gotten my insurance card past DR'S office, and see the claim on bcbs site. Pharmacy ran one through that rejected, they called later and it's filled with a $5.00 copay.

I think it's working.
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #127

Anthem cards arrived in the mail today! Good thing too -- I tried phoning them this morning and they refused to even put me on hold.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Anthem has been impossible. I finally got through to them today. I got a letter back in November saying the whole insurance plan was cancelled. I thought I was without insurance for December but they charged my bank account and then again in Jan. I got a promise that they have cancelled my account and will be getting one month premium back. I guess the back and forth with the government about what was allowed they just kept billing.
I tried using their email portal..my messages kept getting removed(leave no trace) Hope the phone call sticks.
I get it that they are slammed with the changeover but they don't seem to have done anything to control it, they must have known it was coming.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
We paid, our credit card was debited and we received our new cards. The old COBRA provider never sent us the 2014 rate information and payment coupons for this year and we didn't bother to ask for the info, because we already knew we were doing far better on the exchange. Today I went to the pharmacy to pick up a refill and the old provider had already approved the refill. We are sending them a second cancellation message.
We had something similar happen per my previous post. We did not pay the old provider, Anthem, for January, after getting a nonrenewable policy notice letter last October. Then we got an invoice for January.

I called the old provider and could not get through. I sent an email via their message system explaining we bought other insurance after getting the nonrenewable policy letter from them in October. So far the email has not been removed but it has not been replied to, either. I am not sure what else to do except save a copy of the email I sent and the nonrenewable policy letter from them from October for documentation.

I had them set up on a push credit card payment instead of their bank pull so I could get the 2% back on the charge card, so they are not able to take any money out of our bank accounts. I am hoping they do not try to charge the credit card for January.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #130

Been trying to get my GF enrolled in Colorado. She is going to get a subsidy so has to go through Medicaid qualification/denial first. Who knows how long that will take. Then she'll get a similar plan to her Cobra but about 50% less. Good thing Cobra runs to March 31 as the Medicaid denial has to come before we can sign up with subsidies included in premium.

If it Medicaid denial doesn't come we'll just sign her up without a subsidy and deal with it on the 2014 taxes.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Anthem has been impossible. I finally got through to them today. I got a letter back in November saying the whole insurance plan was cancelled. I thought I was without insurance for December but they charged my bank account and then again in Jan. I got a promise that they have cancelled my account and will be getting one month premium back. I guess the back and forth with the government about what was allowed they just kept billing.
I tried using their email portal..my messages kept getting removed(leave no trace) Hope the phone call sticks.
I get it that they are slammed with the changeover but they don't seem to have done anything to control it, they must have known it was coming.
I would suggest you send a certified, return receipt letter to them confirming your conversation and status as a start to get things ironed out.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

DH still can't get through via phone to bcbstx to get them to do something about the January charge on the old policy. He sent them a message through their website last week, but hadn't heard anything back yet, though he should have by now.

Interesting - while waiting on the phone to talk to them his on-line account was changing before his very eyes. At first had shown the payment credited against the old account (which wasn't due any money at all), then and all of a sudden any information associated with the old policy disappeared - including the billing. So someone is working on something, we suppose.

We'll check again tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

With the help of a broker, I finally figured out the issue that wasn't allowing me to take advantage of the tax subsidy. It looks like I am signed up through the Washington State Health exchange as of 2/1. I'd been trying to get through on the phone to the state healthcare site for a few weeks, got through once for a partial answer and then couldn't get through again. My subsidy is humungous. I'm in a silver plan that lets me use my regular primary care doctor.

My daughter, a full time student at 27, however is a different story. We decided to pay an increased amount for a bronze plan for her. She qualified for the Washington medicaid program because of virtually no income, but looking at the really scarce number of providers, and with the broker's advice, we decided to just pay the $180 a month for her continued Lifewise, high deductible coverage.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

signed up with Blue Shield CA in coveredca in early December.

Hadn't received anything, so called BSCA on December 20. Was on hold for about 30 minutes, then a rep came on and was able to find me in the system via my SSN. Paid the subsidized amount (yay!) for January. She said I would receive my welcome package and cards within 7-10 business days.

Payment came through on my Visa the next day.

Waited through the non-business days of the holidays, but got nervous on Jan. 2 with no ID number to use if I got hit by the garbage truck.

Called BSCA this past Monday, was on hold for an hour and a half. The automated service knew me by my phone number, but reported that I hadn't paid yet. The human rep said to disregard the automated announcements, that she saw my payment, AND SHE GAVE ME MY ID NUMBER!! HURRAY! Plus a phone number for providers to call after any run-ins with beer/garbage trucks.

She said Blue Shield was just now sending out the welcome packages for those who had signed up in October/November.

Thinking of writing that ID number on my forehead with a Sharpie.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

They still haven't charged my card or cashed my check. The deadline has been extended to Jan 15 for payment.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
They still haven't charged my card or cashed my check. The deadline has been extended to Jan 15 for payment.
Like TA, still not credit card charges for both my attempts.

I called Anthem in CA yesterday, too, and after 20 minutes on hold, listening to what my husband calls "Charles Emerson Winchester III" music, I was disconnected.

Pooh.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #137

I am still waiting for Empire BCBS (New York) to cash the check I mailed out on January 2nd and send me a Welcome Package and give me a policy number. I have the email address of the woman I spoke to last week although she advised me not to use it. I used it anyway because I dont want to wait on hold on the phone for an hour again just to find out what is taking them so long to process a payment.

Remember, I signed up with BCBS through the NY Exchange back on October 4th, just a few days after the initial rollout. Three months later I am still not really fully "in" the system yet. I did see in the NY Marketplace website some recent special messages for BCBS enrollees although I seem to be in limbo between the scenarios they described.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Paid January, just received February invoice. I've actually used coverage, seen claims processed and paid. So far I'm pleased. I'm aware, I'm one of the lucky ones. Best wishes to those still in limbo.
MRG
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

New York Times has an article today, describing the same experiences many of us have had: seems like we're successfully enrolled, either on the fed or state exchanges, and then hear nothing from the actual insurance companies, or if we do get an actual card, the provider can't verify that we have coverage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/11/us...verage.html?hp

Seems like the insurance companies might have been better prepared for all the new enrollees? When I finally got through to BSCA a week ago, the rep said they were just now sending out welcome packages for people who had enrolled in October.

Good luck, everyone!!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #140

Quick update already: In the NY Marketplace website they had an email address (help@anthem.com in case anyone else here wants to use it) for a general help line for Anthem (BCBS) so I forwarded my email to them. Only 10 minutes later I got a reply saying it had been "forwarded to an appropriate area and someone will be in touch with me...." Mildly encouraging.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote