What is more important to you, taste or nutrition?

Taste. I'm with Goonie in the Brussels Sprouts camp also.. just had them tonight!! Shallots 'n' butter saute'.. 15 min. on low covered with a few TB chicken broth, then finish with a splash of cider vinegar on high heat until dry-ish.

Also good with currants and pinoli.

This should have been a poll if anyone seriously wanted to keep track.

Just because it's convenient for me, I will assert that ICBINB and Snackwells will do you in quicker than (non-hydrogenated) lard and real cookies made with butter & cane sugar.. :angel:

Khan is right.. when I go back to the US now, there are many things I can't abide any longer. I do fall prey to the myriad corn/potato chip varieties.

For the most part, I think 'healthy' DOES taste good. Not mutually exclusive at all. Moderation is the key. I no longer EVER eat/drink cheap versions of chocolate or beer, etc - have a small amount of the really good stuff.

I have to stay away from gluten, a protein found in wheat, oats and barley. It's generally not so bad, but the tragedy was giving up beer, pizza, and lasagna. That hurts.

See if Redbridge beer works for you. It is a sorghum based beer from Anheuser-Busch, and even though I don't have a problem with gluten, I thought it tasted pretty good. I would take one over their Bud or Bud lite offerings any day.

-ERD50

Consider a scatter plot of taste versus nutrition. What would be in the upper right, besides garlic, onions and olive oil?

Taste, and i found that foods considered to be the most nutricious do not taste good

Nutritious - in moderation:

Beer, wine, chocolate, coffee, a wide variety of fruits, nuts, and vegetables. IMO, delicious when prepared properly. Meats in lesser quantities.

Stuff that to me, is just not 'worth the calories':

Most store bought cookies and cakes - too sweet and bleh for me. Most heavily processed foods - I am not afraid of the additives or 'chemicals' (as some people oddly say) - I just find all the extra stuff is more for the benefit of the person selling it than it is for me. Why do I want frozen broccoli with some weird cheese-like food product sauce, additives, and flavorings, when simply steamed and a little fresh grated parmesan taste so much better (to me).

I think that many people that prefer the processed foods never learned how to cook the real, fresh (or fresh frozen) stuff. Their taste buds are so accustomed to the heavily-salted processed foods that they can't appreciate the subtleties of real food.

-ERD50

Nutritious - in moderation:

Beer, wine, chocolate, coffee, a wide variety of fruits, nuts, and vegetables. IMO, delicious when prepared properly. Meats in lesser quantities.

Stuff that to me, is just not 'worth the calories':

Most store bought cookies and cakes - too sweet and bleh for me. Most heavily processed foods - I am not afraid of the additives or 'chemicals' (as some people oddly say) - I just find all the extra stuff is more for the benefit of the person selling it than it is for me. Why do I want frozen broccoli with some weird cheese-like food product sauce, additives, and flavorings, when simply steamed and a little fresh grated parmesan taste so much better (to me).

I think that many people that prefer the processed foods never learned how to cook the real, fresh (or fresh frozen) stuff. Their taste buds are so accustomed to the heavily-salted processed foods that they can't appreciate the subtleties of real food.
-ERD50

This is one of the biggest changes I have made since retiring. I used to eat alot of
pasta, burgers, pizzas (made at home - not fast food), and too many cookies, ice
cream, chocolate, crackers and bad cheese, etc.
I eat alot more vegetables now - mostly as juice after an unsuccessful foray into
salads. More fruit. Less bread. Almost no cookies, ice cream. Mostly beans / rice
mixtures instead of pasta. Much less sodium. Less meat (although still more than
most), mostly very lean.

I find you can have both.

Also, my tastes have definitely changed. For example I used to love filled donuts but now a donut leaves a greasy taste in my mouth and an over full feeling I just don't like - I now prefer a good quality bagel with cream cheese.

Taste.....I love spicy food so the hotter it is....the better it tastes!
I love ice-cream and brownies.....but I have started to make my own food this year to become healthy and to stop wasting money on eating out.....I don't think I would ever like brussel sprouts though.

I don't think I would ever like brussel sprouts though.

Brussel sprouts, for the taste that cannot be acquired.

Brussel sprouts, for the taste that cannot be acquired.

Well, sometimes they can be very strong.

Just had 'em recently, after not having them for years. DW usually does the grocery shopping, I picked 'em up when she asked me to do the shopping recently (surprise!).

She turned up her nose at the thought. But a friend of hers loves them, and gave her a bunch of recipes. DW didn't want to go through the work that the recipes called for (bacon, cream sauces), but made a brown butter sauce - very simple and kind of a nutty taste. We both enjoyed them, even the kids thought the were 'ok' (a major achievement).

I didn't like them when I was a kid, but in general my Mom's idea of cooking a vegetable was to boil it for a very long time, get it good and mushy, then serve it plain. No wonder.

-ERD50

a cooking show on saturday says brussel sprouts are really good when roasted. it gives the sugars a chance to caramelize. i'm gonna try them again this way and see how it goes.

a cooking show on saturday says brussel sprouts are really good when roasted. it gives the sugars a chance to caramelize. i'm gonna try them again this way and see how it goes.

I just checked - she did roast them, then the brown butter on top. Definitely makes them more interesting then just steamed or boiled - maybe the roasting gives time to cook off some of that strong flavor also? Come out a bit crispy rather than soggy.

But back to nutrition and taste - well, tonight's dinner was just great, very little 'processed' food and pretty nutritious I think:

Salad - Costco 'spring mix' with added red bell peppers and cucumbers and feta cheese.

Dressing: A gyro-style yogurt, cucumber and dill mixed in - delicious!

Bread: a few small slices on the side. Made in the bread machine with olives, cucumbers, dill...

Asparagus: Micro-waved until just tender, fresh lemon juice squeezed on top - I added just a tiny bit of butter to cut the acidity from the lemon - hmmmmm.

Lamb Chops: Grilled in the cast iron pan, a little olive oil, salt, garlic, herbs. hmmm, so full of flavor I was totally satisfied with two small chops. Really didn't feel the need for more.

Wine: We shared a bottle of Australian Shiraz - really nice with the lamb.

Dessert: Coffee and a bit of chocolate (Trader Joe's 70% Dark - 'Ghana' varietal).

Overall, pretty nutritious, no? I sure don't feel like I compromised 'taste' in any way - quite the contrary.

And yes, I let DW know just how much I appreciated the dinner (yes, and helped with the cleaning). I am a lucky guy.

-ERD50

....I now prefer a good quality bagel with cream cheese.

I like those, and I also like to take an English muffin, put a slice of cheese on it (I prefer either colby or hot pepper cheese), and pop it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. The cheese just starts to melt and get into the muffin, and the muffin get nicely warm. It's a nice, quick, easy snack!

? reminded me of the phrase ' perfuming the pig' when I read it.
I like and will try just about anything. Simply, they fall into 2 categories, good tasting and not good tasting. I'm sorry, but as healthy as they are (I assume) brussel sprouts have never fallen into the good tasting category.

? reminded me of the phrase ' perfuming the pig' when I read it.
I like and will try just about anything. Simply, they fall into 2 categories, good tasting and not good tasting. I'm sorry, but as healthy as they are (I assume) brussel sprouts have never fallen into the good tasting category.

I absolutely LOVE :smitten:brussels sprouts! I have never had them roasted but that really sounds good.

I think I know why I like them. When I was a kid and my mother used to serve them, I thought they were "little-girl-sized" cabbages and so cute. So, I always looked forward to these little girl treats eagerly. Early attitudes seem to stick.

I absolutely LOVE :smitten:brussels sprouts! I have never had them roasted but that really sounds good.

I think I know why I like them. When I was a kid and my mother used to serve them, I thought they were "little-girl-sized" cabbages and so cute. So, I always looked forward to these little girl treats eagerly. Early attitudes seem to stick.

Ditto! Except replace "little-girl-sized", with "little-boy-sized". As a little kid, I liked almost everything 'cept liver! As an adult (and I use that term VERY loosely :D ) I still like almost everything.....'cept liver! They say as you get older, you're tastes change, but I've tried liver 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years......I still think it tastes YUCKY!!!

Last edited:
There are not many foods I won't eat, traditional foods of the United Kingdom notwithstanding. However, if I had to eat brussels sprouts, I think I would probably starve.:D

just roasted some brussel sprouts. not bad. the only problem is that they still taste like brussel sprouts.

I used to hate Brussel sprouts as a kid. Got older and I love them. Another bitter thing I love is Radicchio. I grill it with olive oil and salt/pepper. Pull it off and put a bit of balsamic vinegar on it. Man great stuff!

The way I eat liver is sliced into thin strips and put into fahitas. When you add the onions, peppers, salsa, cheese, etc you can't tell the difference between liver and steak.

Ditto! Except replace "little-girl-sized", with "little-boy-sized". As a little kid, I liked almost everything 'cept liver! As an adult (and I use that term VERY loosely :D ) I still like almost everything.....'cept liver! They say as you get older, you're tastes change, but I've tried liver 2 or 3 times in the last 20 years......I still think it tastes YUCKY!!!
LOL I guess this is what makes horse races. I on the other hand love liver and would have it more if it were not so bad for you.
Calves liver, chicken liver (chopped is a favorite), foie gras, fish liver, you name it.

The way I eat liver is sliced into thin strips and put into fahitas. When you add the onions, peppers, salsa, cheese, etc you can't tell the difference between liver and steak.
OOOHHHHH :D:D:D, another excuse to have some more liver. THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom