What was your experience signing up for 2019 Healthcare?

Fleur58

Recycles dryer sheets
I haven't had good luck with my state's website, so I went to a local office to get help. The place opened at 0800. I arrived at 7:10 am and there were 10 people ahead of me. The crowd increased to about 50. There were 2 black people, 1 white person, and the rest were Latino. We waited outside and the guard let us in the building at 0750. We were given a number.

At 0800 the guard let us on the elevator to go to the second floor by calling our number, 15 people at a time. I was in the first group.

Once upstairs, someone signed us in with a tablet and said your number will be called soon (last 4 digits of phone number). The center employs an electronic visit management system that you see on a screen.
My number is called and the triage lady asked me if I pay for my plan or if it is free. Which insurance vendor do I have?
At 1000 my name was called. The lady said it took so long because it takes longer to process people with a paid plan. Apparently most there were getting healthcare for free, as I waited longer than many who came after me. I told her I wanted to change my plan from Bronze to Gold. The lady scanned my Income Statement and asked me did I want to increase my income from $32000 (june estimate) to $35000 (current estimate). I said Yes. She then said I have verified your income, no one will call you to ask for additional information.
She then lead me to a waiting room where I was to see a Insurance Broker to choose a plan. I waited about 25 mnutes and then my name was called. I saw the broker. She had me sign into my account and she found the plan I wanted. She told me to take pictures of the screen to verify the price quoted. She said I would get a bill soon. Wound up with $260 for a Gold $0 deductable plan. I was paying $6.91 for a Bronze Plan with $6800 deductable.
So that was it. I was done about 1045 am. She said next year just call her and she will make me an appt so I don't have to go to the office.

I really don't like this process, I felt like I was at a welfare office :( with all the crowds and crying children.

What was your experience? Did you get an affordable plan?

Sounds like their system was designed by a consultant from the DMV. :facepalm:

Was it not possible to make an appointment for this initial effort?

Our state doesn't have a website so I used healthcare.gov to sign up and renew my coverage. Fast an easy, and if any questions you can call an advisor for help.

Thanks, interesting experience. It's something I'm hoping I won't need to do, but perhaps friends or family might. Good to know what to expect.

I arrived at 7:10 am...She then lead me to a waiting room where I was to see a Insurance Broker to choose a plan. I was done about 1045 am. She said next year just call her and she will make me an appt so I don't have to go to the office.
It takes less than 30 minutes when you have an appointment directly with a broker.

I used healthcare.gov to sign up and renew my coverage. Fast an easy, and if any questions you can call an advisor for help.
Those who are not internet savvy can also call HealthSherpa to enroll.

HealthSherpa (855) 772-2663

Our customer support team will help you find and enroll in a plan to fit your needs.

Weekday hours: 5:00am – 6:30pm PT
Weekend hours: 8:00am – 3:30pm PT

https://www.healthsherpa.com/

My broker called and 30 minutes later done. I bought a smaller network this year and its $50 a month cheaper than last year. Last year's plan was still available but it was $150 more than last year.

Let me explain why I had to go to the office this year.

This year (2018) was my first year on a ACA plan. I tried going on line with my states's website to enroll last year but because my income had dropped so drastically from when I was working; they wanted income verification. The website had difficulty uploading my verification documents; so thats why I went to the office to enroll in 2017. They insisted I had to pay $640 a month for the Bronze plan and that I did not qualify for a subsidy.
In June 2018 I went back to the office after I had accumulated some investment income and did a 10K Roth Conversion. At that point in June I had an income over 16K so I did not qualify for Medicaid (which I did not want). Based upon my documents, they gave me a subsidy for the rest of 2018--I went from $640 a month to $6.91 a month for a Bronze plan! They would not let me change plans to Silver or Gold; and said I had to wait until November. Bronze plan covers hardly anything!

I received a notice in October that they needed to re verify my income. :facepalm::( I decided not to bother with the website and so I went in person to submit my income verification documentation.

Now that I have a broker, I will work with her for next years enrollment.
I must say the process was confusing at best for a new enrollee. If someone needs to sign up I agree they are better off calling a Broker.

You seem to be confusing some items here...

You cannot change plans during the year... when you picked Bronze you were stuck with it for the year... it does not matter that you income changed....

As for subsidy, that in reality is determined when you file your tax return... you had a problem with them fronting your subsidy to you... but when you file next year you will settle up and get back all subsidy that was not fronted to you before your income verification...

Since it is a state website I do not know how it works, but I would think that all you had to do was go online and sign up for whatever plan you wanted... you seem to say that is what the broker did on your account... so all they did was type the keys you could have typed...

OP should have checked on ER.org before going into the office. Estimating income and uploading documents are confusing. We started with ACA in 2014 and I cannot bore you with the difficulties submitting the documents they required. Signing up online was NP, but following up with backup ppk was a nightmare. BTW, the bronze plan saved us approx. $7000 in 2018 so far.

2017 premiums - Silver plan - $560 premium/mo and $12,000 deductible family.

2018 premiums - Bronze plan - $7.82 premium/mo and $12,000 deductible family
What I realized is the insurance company discounts office visits, tests etc. pretty heavily. We ended up paying less in 2018 for a DR visit than the co pay in 2017 for the same DR visit.

IMHO, get into the dirty details with your broker. Look at the co insurance and co pay closely. Look at the insurance discounts.

Just another option... do not worry about your income... you can get all of your subsidy when you file your tax return... my first year on ACA I did that... heck, I think I did it my second... it was only when I learned (yea, it took me awhile) about the lower cost silver plans and me thinking how I could qualify for that I put in my income estimate... and since it had already been low they did not ask me for any proof...

Probably feels like applying for welfare because that is what is is for those that receive any amount of subsidy. That subsidy is no different than what passes for food stamps today and other welfare programs like medicaid, WIC and other programs.

Probably feels like applying for welfare because that is what is is for those that receive any amount of subsidy. That subsidy is no different than what passes for food stamps today and other welfare programs like medicaid, WIC and other programs.

If you feel this way, you should immediately contact the IRS and pay back any home mortgage interest deductions you may have taken over the years. :)

Thanks for the clarification. I gladly accept this "subsidy welfare". I paid high income taxes for years! Never had any handout my whole life. When I stopped working I could have applied for unemployment but I didn't. Anything I'm entitled to I happily accept without guilt.:)

I applied for coverage this year for the first time. It was fairly easy and painless. When it was all done with I got a message saying I needed to prove my income since I made way more than that the previous year. I copied a current monthly statement from my pension and about a week later received an email stating that I was good to go.

I have to chuckle to be honest, because I went from paying $635 a month to nothing by manipulating my income. I think in a couple of years I'll need to replenish my cash, but we'll see.

Well one is a tax credit and the other is an income deduction. Personally I'm getting the ACA credit next year and am looking forward to it. It's going to save me $630 a month from what I was paying for my retiree health insurance. In addition since I take an expensive biologic with a copay reduction card I will have my $6650 oop maximum paid up during the second fill in February, essentially making my healthcare free next year and it's all perfectly legal.

A subsidy is a subsidy, doesn't matter how it reduces your expenses (tax-wise or not). They all mean some groups pay more while others don't, courtesy of the laws that benefit some groups over others.

There's a whole other thread about this here.

I called the agent at BCBSNC and 15 minutes later I was done. Easy as eating Pumpkin Pie! Same policy, same subsidy.

We have not done ours yet. We will still have group insurance for January 2019. Come 12/16/18, I will find an agent close by to sign up from Covered California. I may have trouble with income question since ours will drop dramatically. We can pay first, then get back the next year.

From all the insurance companies that participate in our zip code, none has good reviews, so we may end up choosing Kaiser Permanente HSA HMO plan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom