What was Your Workout Today?

Soooo... this one will be a little different. Went to do my weekly hill workout today (6 x 400m) and the river ravine where I normally do it was blocked off by about 150 cops due to the discovery of a human foot in the river yesterday.. they were searching the valley and the media circus was in full swing.... if EVER there was an excuse not to workout, this would have been it. But, went to my old backup hill and knocked them out.. actually blew away my old times.. must have forgotten to pay the Gravity Bill again.. ha

Attachments

• tg.JPG
    tg.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 1
How awful, Koogie! Glad you got your workout in, despite everything. That must have been so disconcerting, to say the least.

Yesterday I did my usual workout, 19.1 tons. For some reason it seemed lots harder than usual, but my heart rate monitor told me I wasn't working any harder. I have been feeling a little under the weather the past few days, so that was probably why it was so hard. But anyway, I still managed to lift every weight in my routine. A couple of people at the gym noticed how much I was lifting and complimented me, which was a big ego boost and very motivating.

Doing my workout vicariously by reading this thread today :(

I got new walking shoes on Friday. Wore them for my normal 2 miles on Monday with no problem, but on Tuesday I realized after about 3/4 mile that I had a blister on my left heel. Decided to tough it out and walked back home at my normal quick pace. Bad mistake - blister ripped open and the skin pulled off when I took off my socks. :facepalm:

I did manage my yoga class yesterday, but even with a bandage on it hurt too much to put on my shoes. Fortunately I can wear my Birkenstocks everywhere I go until it heals a bit more.

Really feel like a slug from missing my morning walk. :(

Ow, that sounds so painful, MBAustin. I hope those walking shoes can be broken in so that they don't continue to cause blisters like that. Good idea to focus on your yoga right now and skip the walking temporarily.

I love my Birkenstocks! But I can't go on long walks in them, either.

Figured out my workout tonnage - 17.1 tons 3 x a week over 12 machines. In addition to this :

-power walk on treadmill for 3 to 4 miles (worth about 500 calories).

- sixty sit-ups

- 24 shoulder exercises with light weights (10 lbs)

- bunch of stretches for back and legs

In total , takes about 2 hours to complete.

Been at it for about 8 months. My goal is to lose 35 pounds. Lost 18 somewhat quickly then gave up smoking and gained 3 back. Looks like I need to ramp up the treadmill and cut out the junk food to lose more lbs.

One thing I have noticed - increased distance with driver!

Golfnut

"Vigorous yardwork".

I think I'm finally getting ahead of the growth curve.

"Vigorous yardwork".

I think I'm finally getting ahead of the growth curve.

Good luck on that one.

My house had many lush, lovely, tropical looking banana trees in the back yard when I bought it. Unbeknownst to me at that time, banana trees grow like wildfire here and would take over the world if allowed to grow without cutting them back frequently. I never had time to relax in the back yard, because it took so much time to keep them cut back. After years of weekend "banana tree enslavement", a.k.a. vigorous yardwork, I managed to get rid of them with the kind assistance of a helpful neighbor. My back yard now has nothing but grass.

It's wonderful to have my weekends back... :D

Last edited:
My house had many lush, lovely, tropical looking banana trees in the back yard when I bought it. Unbeknownst to me at that time, banana trees grow like wildfire here and would take over the world if allowed to grow without cutting them back frequently. I never had time to relax in the back yard, because it took so much time to keep them cut back. After years of weekend "banana tree enslavement", a.k.a. vigorous yardwork, I managed to get rid of them with the kind assistance of a helpful neighbor. My back yard now has nothing but grass.
Been there, done that with two houses. They're about the only tropical fruit that we don't grow in our yard.

Our tenant has planted his own, which of course have become five or six. We joke that he'll have to take them with him when he leaves, but of course I'm going to have to figure out a way to kill the roots. Probably involving C-4.

Those roots are a big dig to get out, no? The second time we just cut off the sprinkler water for about six months.

Mango trees are starting to get on my hit list, too, but the key appears to be having them grow at the downhill edge of the property on the side of a steep gulch. I'm afraid that those trees will last longer than me...

Nords said:
Been there, done that with two houses. They're about the only tropical fruit that we don't grow in our yard.

Our tenant has planted his own, which of course have become five or six. We joke that he'll have to take them with him when he leaves, but of course I'm going to have to figure out a way to kill the roots. Probably involving C-4.

Those roots are a big dig to get out, no? The second time we just cut off the sprinkler water for about six months.
One of the reasons they grow so fast here is that we get over 60" of rain a year, from the sky.... I do not even own a hose, or sprinkler. It only took them two or three months to grow fifteen feet high, with all that water.

As for the roots, I tried salt, digging them up to the extent that I could, and pouring Roundup directly on the roots, but still had no luck. I had several hundred of them, which was part of tha problem. My wonderful neighbor finally did it for me with digging and then tremendous quantities of Roundup and whatever else he had in his storage shed. My back yard probably qualifies as an EPA Superfund site with all those chemicals, but it was worth it to get rid of the banana trees. :LOL: They never came back. What a perfect neighbor.

Nords said:
Mango trees are starting to get on my hit list, too, but the key appears to be having them grow at the downhill edge of the property on the side of a steep gulch. I'm afraid that those trees will last longer than me...

Thank goodness I do not have mangos! They give me mango rash, too.

Last edited:
Figured out my workout tonnage - 17.1 tons 3 x a week over 12 machines. In addition to this :

-power walk on treadmill for 3 to 4 miles (worth about 500 calories).

- sixty sit-ups

- 24 shoulder exercises with light weights (10 lbs)

- bunch of stretches for back and legs

In total , takes about 2 hours to complete.

Been at it for about 8 months. My goal is to lose 35 pounds. Lost 18 somewhat quickly then gave up smoking and gained 3 back. Looks like I need to ramp up the treadmill and cut out the junk food to lose more lbs.

One thing I have noticed - increased distance with driver!

Golfnut

Woo-hoo! Great workout, golfnut. :D

Worked out chest today. Bench press, flyes, and decline press. Then 30 min on the elliptical doing the cross country program. I've got 5 more weeks to lose 8 lbs.

Unfortunately they found the head last night... so someone came to a bad end there.. kind of creepy as it is a somewhat remote site in a city of 5 million. I'm often there doing hills and don't see anyone for 45 mins. at a time.

Doing my workout vicariously by reading this thread today :( I got new walking shoes on Friday. Wore them for my normal 2 miles on Monday with no problem, but on Tuesday I realized after about 3/4 mile that I had a blister on my left heel.

I can highly recommend "Wrightsocks" They are a double layer, anti-blister running sock. At 12$ a pair they are hardly LBYM but some things are more important than money !! (not really, just kidding. Ha). I run about 25 to 30 miles a week and never have a blister thanks to them. Mind you, I am sure any double layer sock would do the same job.

48 hilly miles on the bike yesterday averaging about 16mph.

Today: dumbbells, planks, push-ups & chin-ups. About 15 minutes is all I can do at home before getting too bored or distracted. I wonder if joining a gym would give me more motivation...

48 hilly miles on the bike yesterday averaging about 16mph.

Today: dumbbells, planks, push-ups & chin-ups. About 15 minutes is all I can do at home before getting too bored or distracted. I wonder if joining a gym would give me more motivation...

For me, getting out of the house to go to the gym is the only way I will work out. I have a bunch of unused exercise equipment in the basement to prove it. Plus the gym only costs $20 per month and it 2 miles from my house.

MBAustin,

If your blisters continue while walking try some Thor-los running socks along with some better innersoles. I had a problem with hot spots on my feet while walking long distances and the socks and innersoles helped.

Yesterday I walked my usual 5 miles in the late afternoon. Today is a rest day and early in the morning we will walk 7 miles. I belong to a marathon and half marathon training group and we are gearing up for the January 2013 races.

Still feeling under the weather, and a little weak and dizzy, so no weight lifting for me at the gym today. Instead I just rode on the seated elliptical for 30 minutes at a low resistance, 2, but briskly.

Oh, and I second the suggestion of Thorlo socks. I wear them every day, with my New Balance shoes, and they are so comfortable. These are not cheap, but they are the Cadillac of socks IMO.

Spouse and I worked out in our home gym today.

I've discovered that I can cram in three sets of pushups, situps, lunges, squats, and pullups (plus 15 minutes on the elliptical) during the time it takes her to do her workout. But I can only accomplish that if I stop wasting time between sets lying on the floor in a fetal ball, gasping for breath and sweating...

07:15 a.m. 75 Stair repeats thus far; may not get to do an afternoon elliptical session as we're likely going to see the granddaughters.......so I'll classify today as a "Day Off".

4.8 mile walk early while it was cool took 90 minutes. Good views of native plantings, a few blackberries for an along-the-way morning snack, and meeting 3 dogs and their people: a Dalmatian, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, and a Yorkie named Bruce.

-- Rita

I ran 11 miles this morning with my training group. That's my longest distance so far, training for a half marathon in 3 weeks.

I ran 11 miles this morning with my training group. That's my longest distance so far, training for a half marathon in 3 weeks.
Next year....Boston.

My activities for the week:

Monday: Master's Swim Workout, ~ 2000 yds.
Tuesday: Workout from X-Fit site. Workout was rounds of 50/35/20 pullups, wall-balls and double-unders. I cheated and substituted assisted pull-ups and two jump ropes per double under. 30 minutes of roller-blading.
Wednesday: Master's Swim Workout, ~ 2000 yds
Thursday: Upper body (on the machines) and core strength, 1.5 mile run (testing sore hip flexor).
Friday: 5 mile bike to gym, Pilates class, 1 mile swim, bike home, couple one-on-one b-ball games with DS (he won all of them).
Saturday: 1 mile bike to park, 3 sets of doubles tennis, bike home.
Sunday: 5 mile bike to gym, Yoga class, core strength class, easy 3 mile run, bike home.

Back
Top Bottom