What was Your Workout Today?

Walking is my main "workout". I walked 35 miles this week (carrying a pretty heavy backpack). My goal is to progressively ramp it up to 50 miles a week. If I can make it, I may be able to ditch the monthly bus/subway pass and save myself $700+ a year.
Very nice indeed.

I enjoy walking but find that after a long walk I'm more tired then a run. A 6 mile run will be easier for my body then a 6 mile walk. I think it has to do with the length of time in the upright position -- have a tendency towards varicose veins.

Wow, you are beast. I'd be sucking wind and have legs feeling like lead from that workout.
65 repeats early yesterday morning.......then moved rocks and dug up unwanted plants at DW's daughter's cottage.......today is a do-nothing day!

5.5 miles around the lake with DW. Walking, not running. I've discovered the joy of plantar fascitis. :mad: Wierd phenomena. I wondered why for last few months my heels would just kill me when I got out of bed, but through the day it subsided. Then I started trail running early in morning, shady, to avoid the heat. Really flared the problem up in just a few days. So now backing off. I thought it was an age problem til I went to running boards and see many youngsters suffer with it. Hopefully I can control it with proper shoes (the trail running shoes I bought don't seem very cushiony, may be the problem so back to regular running shoes) and some temporary moderation.

It's been a busy week of surfing, taekwondo, and yard work. Once they reach a combined total of seven then I feel like I've done enough. The count started on Sunday and reached seven by Friday.

Our daughter wanted to spar taekwondo on Friday night, which I haven't done for at least a year. The sparring went fine, although the instructor's comments felt more like "Pretty good for a geezer!" than "You should do this more often." But that night was 800 mg of ibuprofen, and all weekend I've been working Aspercreme into various bruises. I don't think there's any reason to spar more often, and the risks sure outweigh the health benefits. I'm going to keep telling myself that until I believe it.

Overall, my new Polar HRM is a great toy and I find it to be quite motivational. Oh, and by the way, as a surfer you might be interested to know that it can be worn in the water as long as you don't push any of the buttons on the watch part while submerged. I haven't done this but that is what the manual (available online) says.
Amazon had some trash talk about the FT7 buttons failing to respond after 6-12 months, or the strap wearing out. Keep us posted!

If I showed up in the surf lineup with a heart-rate monitor I'd probably be shunned... it's not as if I'm going to skip a wave until my heart rate recovers, or paddle any harder than I already can.

It's been a busy week of surfing, taekwondo, and yard work. Once they reach a combined total of seven then I feel like I've done enough. The count started on Sunday and reached seven by Friday.

Our daughter wanted to spar taekwondo on Friday night, which I haven't done for at least a year. The sparring went fine, although the instructor's comments felt more like "Pretty good for a geezer!" than "You should do this more often." But that night was 800 mg of ibuprofen, and all weekend I've been working Aspercreme into various bruises. I don't think there's any reason to spar more often, and the risks sure outweigh the health benefits. I'm going to keep telling myself that until I believe it.

Ouch! Sorry that you are hurting so much. But then, it sounds like you pretty much expected it. Getting older is the pits, as you may find out some day, but at your youthful age? You are no geezer. Just wait. :D Meanwhile, I'm sure you showed those youngsters just how it is done. ;)

Amazon had some trash talk about the FT7 buttons failing to respond after 6-12 months, or the strap wearing out. Keep us posted!

Hmm... I read all 244 Amazon reviews before buying the FT7, but wasn't especially put off by any of them. It helps to know that this is the bestselling Polar heart rate monitor at Amazon and that its rating is pretty good (4.2/5.0 stars). It is not what I would consider to be an unknown quantity.

Another option could be to shell out the big bux for the FT60, which I guess is very highly thought of, and a good purchase for those who want more out of an HRM than I do. Or, you could continue to spend nothing and have none at all. I am quite happy with my less expensive FT7 which has performed flawlessly and is giving me all the info that I want to know, right now, when I want to know it, but different strokes, and all that. :)

Last edited:
5KM Tempo run at 0530 this morning before the sauna like heat starts up. Got home, lay down in the guest room in the basement and fell back asleep... lol

Our daughter flew back to college last night. Here's our workout schedule for the last week:
Mon: Surfing, taekwondo. (She also did a three-mile run.)
Tue: Surfing. (She also did a workout called "Insanity".)
Wed: Taekwondo, surfing. (She added another run.)
Thu: Surfing. (She also likes P90X.)
Fri: Surfing. (One more three-mile run before packing for the airport! We skipped taekwondo sparring because she had a late flight.)

Good thing today's surf sucks. I'm going to celebrate my relative indolence by pruning our bougainvillea hedge.

My spouse finds it hugely amusing that I'm trying to keep up with a 19-year-old. I just find it exhausting and full of ibuprofen...

My spouse finds it hugely amusing that I'm trying to keep up with a 19-year-old.

Well, you have to admit that that's pretty much an impossible goal for most of us! :)

Nords said:
I just find it exhausting and full of ibuprofen...

I have continued to lift 18.2 tons every MWF since my last post. I have to admit that I really love this type of physical challenge. I never take ibuprofen, or other pain killers, because of concern about possible side effects. But lately I have been a little tired and sore, too. :)

I never take ibuprofen, or other pain killers, because of concern about possible side effects. But lately I have been a little tired and sore, too. :)
Well, when your hands are too sore to grasp a doorknob, or when you keep whimpering in pain as you roll over in your sleep, or when a back muscle won't un-spasm, or when your knee doesn't want to support your weight as you get up off the chair, then the ibuprofen becomes more important.

The side effects are scary, but those are usually experienced by people after months on high doses 3x/day. 800 mg once a day after food is fine for me. You probably can get by with 600 mg.

An orthopedic surgeon told me once that he has 23 different painkillers available for his patients. If one doesn't work then he just moves on down the list until they find something that works with minimal side effects.

My spouse finds it hugely amusing that I'm trying to keep up with a 19-year-old. I just find it exhausting and full of ibuprofen...

After a week of that, your probably ready for anythng. Are you going to stick with DD's routine?:D

Admirable effort.

Just think, in ten years you'll only need to keep up with a 29 year old.

Back to the usual routine today-- calisthenics with spouse. What with our daughter being home and all the [-]surfing[/-] other family activities, it's been about a month since spouse and I have worked out together.

All that surfing turns out to have preserved my pushup & situp muscles. No problems on squats, lunges, & pullups, either. But nothing maintains aerobic capacity like 10 high-intensity minutes on the elliptical or the treadmill. Dammit.

After a week of that, your probably ready for anythng. Are you going to stick with DD's routine?:D
Admirable effort.
Just think, in ten years you'll only need to keep up with a 29 year old.
The trend is not encouraging... and she hasn't had anything wear out yet.

I wonder how Crossfit works when you're in your 50s.

I walked over 37 miles and climbed almost 1,000 ft this week.

I have continued to lift 18.2 tons...

"And whattaya get?" Ernie Ford

I've been doing a 5x5 routine for several months. These are machine weights, so likely have little correlation to free weights. Nonetheless...

Upper body, 2x/wk -

Shoulder press: five sets of five @ 80, 85, 90, 95, 100 lbs. (3500)
Chest press: five sets of five @ 160, 170, 180, 190, 200 (4500)
Lat pulldowns: five sets of five @ 130, 135, 140, 145, 150 (2250)

Leg day, 1x/wk:

Leg press: five sets of five @ 240, 250, 260, 270, 280 (6500)

So, 13.5 ton/wk. The idea of lifting 5x5 is two-fold: lift heavier, and finish faster. Tried doing two leg days per week, but couldn't recover...

Gradually increase the series as I get stronger.

"And whattaya get?" Ernie Ford

I've been doing a 5x5 routine for several months.
Gradually increase the series as I get stronger.

5x5 are great for building strength as I'm sure you are noticing

Mine are machine weights, too, HFWR. Yesterday I increased to 18.3 tons. I do this same, full workout three days a week.

I was a little reluctant to list the actual weights I do on each machine, because I know a lot of people here lift higher weights than me. But hey, you listed yours, so I guess I will too, even though mine are lower. I'm a 64 year old woman so I hope people cut me some slack. My weight lifting workout is one that I devised on my own because it is what floats my boat and feels good for my body. It is giving me the results that I want, so I have no interest in changing it (although I may add cardio workouts at some point).

Right now for each workout I am doing 2 sets of 10 reps on each of these 20 machines, in more or less this order in about 40-45 minutes, 3x/week:

UPDATED 8/8/2012:
Keiser triceps pushdown machine: [-]140 lbs.[/-] 150 lbs.
Keiser biaxial chestpress machine: [-]50 lbs.[/-] 55 lbs.
Keiser upper back machine: 65 lbs.
Cybex back extension machine: [-]145 lbs.[/-] 150 lbs.
Nautilus compound row machine: [-]110 lbs.[/-]120 lbs.
Nautilus lateral pulldown machine: 110 lbs.
Nautilus chest press machine: [-]65 lbs.[/-] 70 lbs.
Nautilus abdominal machine: [-]110 lbs.[/-] 115 lbs.
Nautilus arm curl machine: 45 lbs.
Nautilus triceps extension machine: [-]65 lbs.[/-] 70 lbs.
Cybex leg extension machine: 45 lbs.
Cybex leg curl machine: [-]110 lbs.[/-] 115 lbs.
Cybex calf rotator machine: [-]145 lbs.[/-] 150 lbs.
Cybex hip abductor machine: 135 lbs.
Cybex hip adductor machine: [-]135 lbs.[/-] 140 lbs.
Cybex abdominal crunch machine: [-]110 lbs.[/-] 115 lbs.
Cybex arm extension machine: 70 lbs.
Cybex fly machine: [-]45 lbs.[/-] 50 lbs.
Cybex overhead press machine: 45 lbs.
Cybex seated row machine: [-]85 lbs.[/-] 90 lbs.

Those average [-]91.5 pounds[/-]. 95.25 pounds.

(2 sets)x(10 reps)x(20 machines)x([-]91.5 pounds[/-] 95.25 pounds)x(.0005 tons/pound) = [-]18.3 tons[/-] 19.1 tons for each workout. At least, that is how I have been calculating it.

Since I do 2x10 reps on each of these 20 machines in 40-45 minutes, I guess this is borderline circuit training. Whatever. My heart rate responds as much for one of these workouts as it does when I ride my exercycle, so maybe that is why. All I know is that it feels like what I need, KWIM? And it is fun, bopping from machine to machine like that. I also spend 5-10 minutes at the stretching station which is absolutely vital for me as I grow older.

I don't do the leg press because of bad knees, and I also go extremely lightly on the leg extension for the same reasons. I go lightly on things like arm curl and overhead press because that is the best I can do right now! :LOL: My biceps are wimpy (being an old lady is my excuse, but anyway I am working at it).

Last edited:
Keiser triceps pushdown machine: 140 lbs.
Cybex back extension machine: 145 lbs.
Nautilus lateral pulldown machine: 110 lbs.
Nautilus abdominal machine: 110 lbs.
Nautilus triceps extension machine: 65 lbs.
Cybex leg curl machine: 110 lbs.
Cybex calf rotator machine: 145 lbs.
Cybex hip abductor machine: 135 lbs.
Cybex hip adductor machine: 135 lbs.
Cybex abdominal crunch machine: 110 lbs.
Cybex arm extension machine: 70 lbs.

These are pretty impressive numbers...

Aw, that's nice of you, HFWR! :flowers: They aren't as big as your numbers on the equivalent machines, but I guess I do more machines. That's probably where the higher tonnage comes from. :)

Aw, that's nice of you, HFWR! :flowers: They aren't as big as your numbers on the equivalent machines, but I guess I do more machines. That's probably where the higher tonnage comes from. :)

Before I went to 5x5, I did sets of ten on all those machines, so I have a feel for how much force you're applying to achieve those numbers...

I do "compound" movements. I don't isolate biceps or triceps or whatever, because they get worked pretty hard already on the three movements I do.

I try to emphasize the "fun factor", so that I look forward to my workouts and keep doing them. For me, fun seems to require the variety/interest of moving right along from machine to machine. :D Zing zing zing! :dance: (I'll omit the "Wh***" word but that applies too.)

Some of these machines are pretty close to the same. You will see several pairs like that if you look at my list, like the Cybex abdominal and Nautilus abdominal machines. Each member of similar pairs does seem to focus on slightly different muscles (higher abdominal muscles for Cybex and lower abdominal muscles for Nautilus, for example). So they are different enough that I still include them. Besides, I'd rather do 2 sets on 20 machines than 4 sets on 10, due to the fun factor.

Another 4 KM tempo run this morning. It wasn't "fun" and I didn't "look forward to it" lol
But.. am getting faster each time... pain also has it's rewards..

Another 4 KM tempo run this morning. It wasn't "fun" and I didn't "look forward to it" lol
But.. am getting faster each time... pain also has it's rewards..

Sounds like the fun in that, would be the fun of finishing and being done with it! :)

Lately on my bench press, I have deviated a bit from my typical 5x5 by pyramiding up as follows: 10 with bar only, 3 x 95, 5x135, 5x155, 5x175, 5x195, 5x205 and then I pyramid back down to failure on each set at 195, 175, 155, and 135. When I get back down to 135, I typically do about 17-18 reps on that last set. It has hammered my chest a lot more using this approach vs trying to go heavier doing only 5x5 exercise. I haven't tried for any single lift max in quite a while, but I used to hit the wall at about 215, and am hoping after a few months of this, I can get to a couple of reps at 225. I don't use a spotter, so I am always a bit nervous when going heavy. Last night the gym owner asked if I was in my early 50s, that made me :cool:.

Like HFWR, I put most of my emphasis on compound lifts, but do some of the accessary ones as well. Overall, I think squats and deadlifts do me the most good. I have not computed total weight lifted for a session, but this sort of progress tracking makes a lot of sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom