What was Your Workout Today?

An hour and a half of figure skating.

Otherwise mostly recovering from maneuvering 2 former 35 foot power poles into position so in time they will be a bridge over a creek at my camp.

Attachments

• CampStartBridege9_9_12.jpg
    CampStartBridege9_9_12.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Thursday again. Finished the hills today. Huzzah. Figured out today the hill rises 160 feet over a slope of 1000 feet. Guess that works out to a 16% grade. 12 repeats in muggy weather. Next week starts the "speed" work instead.

Had a cool conversation about a quarter of the way through. I was coming up the top and went past a guy walking his dog. Guy was about 6'2" / 275 lbs, full sleeve tattoos and walking an ugly black bull mastiff dog. Scary looking pair. Anyway, as I stop and I'm trying to breathe while my lungs are on fire he asks if I'm training for something. I said, ah yes, sure. He says that's great and he'd like to do that to but it's to hard on his joints as he's lost 200 lbs recently and wants to lose 75 more. I said WOW and told him that I've lost 80 lbs to and we discussed healthy eating and exercise for a little bit. He was soft spoken and really interested in the topic. Goes to show you never know who'll you'll meet and you can't judge by appearances.

15.2 tons yesterday. Today, helping F shop for furniture and move a desk from my Venza into his home, and then grocery shopping for myself later on, and that was enough! :LOL:

105 stair repeats.

Based on an estimate of 40 stairs/risers/treads to an office building storey that comes in at about 155 storeys.

Oddly, (and certainly 'thankfully'), the knees don't bother me at all.

Very satisfying run today: snagged another PR. I shaved roughly two minutes off my previous best half marathon time!

Sure, I'm slow, but any improvement feels just as good to those of us in the back of the pack as it does to the fast folk.

What made it especially cool is that DW was doing the 10K at the same time, and shaved roughly a minute off her previous best 10K time.

Two tired but happy pedestrians this afternoon. :dance: :dance:

108 stair repeats this morning......when I first mentioned this, on July 01, I had done 30, and on Jul 05, 43.......those are now warm-ups.

Very satisfying run today: snagged another PR. I shaved roughly two minutes off my previous best half marathon time!

Sure, I'm slow, but any improvement feels just as good to those of us in the back of the pack as it does to the fast folk.
When I completed my one and only marathon, (in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia, in February 1984), one of the entrants was a black American guy, perhaps in his 50s, who, although he'd hit the wall, refused all offers of lifts to the finish line........IIRC he came in around the 5 hour mark*.......the rest of us were eating lunch when he arrived, and he received a standing ovation.

*Edited: I just dug out the records....his time was 6:30:25...wow!

Last edited:
I have continued my 3x/week weight lifting regularly, and yesterday increased from 15.2 tons to 15.6 tons. The slightly pulled muscle/tendon/whatever in my upper left arm seems to be resolving (slowly).

American guy, perhaps in his 50s, who, although he'd hit the wall, refused all offers of lifts to the finish line

Sounds very familiar. I was 58 when I did my first marathon, and had not done nearly enough training to get ready for it. Finished in 5:30 and was happy as hell with my performance -- I had seriously wondered whether I'd even be able to finish!

I rode my new Nike 28 miles. Got caught in a heavy rain storm. I get about 100 miles a week on the bike.

We walked back & forth between the car and the pre-game BBQ at noon in the Houston sun.

I think that counts as a double workout. I can't imagine what it's like in July...

Just noticed this thread so here was my workout this morning:

Bench Press: 4x10
Incline Bench Press: 4x10
Dumbell Press: 3x8
Cable Flyes: 4x10
Shoulder Barbell Press: 4x10
Seated Dumbell Shoulder Press: 3x10
Dips: 4x10
Cable Tricep Extensions: 4x10
Seated Tricep Extensions: 4x10
Overhead Cable Tricep Extensions: 4x10
Barbell Curls: 4x10
Seated Dumbell Curls: 4x10

3.5 mile jog, in just a shade over 35 minutes, with a 20 minute cool-down walk. The heat and humidity are finally beginning to fade a little. Trying to keep the heart-rate in the 75-80% of max range instead of pushing to 85%+ (based on 220-age=MaxHR...most of the time I use the Kervonian method instead, which gives me higher ranges). Trying to keep HR down while I get the high blood pressure spike figured out. (seems like stress is doing it...I'm fine at home but even while on the meds it goes way up by the time I get to w*rk and goes back down after being home a couple of hours). Did the same run on Saturday.

Last thursday I did a charity 6km run with some colleagues at work. We were going pretty fast, and would have finished in about 32:30-33:00, but one of our colleagues pooped out and we had to hang back and help her a bit. Ended up finishing the 6km in 35 min. All good fun.

R

Also did a 5KM charity walk on Saturday. Nasty, windy blustery conditions along the lake.
Sunday morning was 18KM run starting at 0545. Good, felt strong and somehow managed to shave 5m10s off of last weeks time. Not sure how but bodes well for the upcoming half marathon. Today is just chinups and pushups.

Took the mutt to the reservoir this morning. Nice 2 mile walk in a cool breeze. Just polished off a foot long Subway as the body needs plenty of nourishment after a vigorous workout. :)

I got plenty of exercise this weekend. Eight-mile walk, weight lifting, and some Wii Fit Boxing. Hurting everywhere this morning.

Lifted 15.8 tons today at the gym (weight lifting machines). My arm is feeling better and with any luck I can stop babying it next week. :)

Today is Happy Hour Tuesday, so twelve-ounce curls...

Yesterday, walked twenty minutes, then 5x5x3 - chest press, shoulder press, lat pulldowns.

Trail rode the mtn bike for 14 miles. Great substitute for running which has become problematic with plantar fasciitis. Also gives a bit of variety although I find running in the woods a great substitute for the neighborhood.

Generally walking or biking an hour and lifting weights every day, but missed my first day in 4 months on Tues. Been using runkeeper on my iphone to track hikes/bikes. Great app. Yesterday I forgot to stop activity and it tracked me all day long - 50 some miles. Thinking of getting P90X or something similar for the winter

My 70th birthday today.......did 110 stair repeats....6,490 upward steps = ~162 stories.

Back
Top Bottom