What was Your Workout Today?

My 70th birthday today.......did 110 stair repeats....6,490 upward steps = ~162 stories.

Last month the elevators went out at work and I had to walk up 8 flights which I thought would be a piece of cake, wrong!

Maybe for your 75th you can plan to do it in full fireman's suit;) You are a stud!

Maybe for your 75th you can plan to do it in full fireman's suit;)
Did I mention that I was carrying my wife while doing it? :LOL:

(She did 70 repeats today....4,130 upward steps...approx 103 stories.....but the young thing can be excused...her 60th birthday isn't for 3 weeks yet. ;))

My 70th birthday today.......did 110 stair repeats....6,490 upward steps = ~162 stories.

:clap: Terrific! That is simply amazing and quite impressive.

For me, today is a day off from lifting weights. So, I walked a mile outside this morning. That was all I could manage outdoors. Exercising inside is vastly preferable in the New Orleans summer heat and humidity. My home gym room is unusable right now due to hurricane damage, hence the attempt outside.

Dawn patrol. First time in three weeks. Good to be back.

I took off late on the lip of an eight-footer and made it all the way down to the bottom turn (and the rest of the ride). I'm pretty sure that if I'd flapped my arms a little going down that elevator then I could have flown all the way in to the beach.

The Saturday forecast: 10 feet and maybe a bit more. I'm there.

Does it count if you wiggle your butt while surfing this forum? Ok ok 33 minute walk (over my 30 min minimum) in the park - got passed by several hard core little old ladies.

:dance: Still in the yellow cholesterol wise and 120/65 BP.

heh heh heh - after 70 I'm gonna start taking this stuff serious. ;)

Does it count if you wiggle your butt while surfing this forum? Ok ok 33 minute walk (over my 30 min minimum) in the park - got passed by several hard core little old ladies.

:dance: Still in the yellow cholesterol wise and 120/65 BP.

heh heh heh - after 70 I'm gonna start taking this stuff serious. ;)

That is terrific, UncleMick! Sounds like you have whipped that cholesterol demon back in line, and that BP is great. And as for the little old ladies, well, maybe they are in their late 20's and just LOOK old. :D

Maybe the key is to wiggle your butt in front of the little old ladies when you hear them gaining on you...

3.1 mile walk in 42 minutes. Prefer to jog/run it in 30-33 but trying to make sure to take a day off between runs. The problem for me with walking even at that brisk pace, is that I struggle to get my heart rate over 90-95, unless I run into a hill, and then it just barely hits 100-105...I.e., 52-61% of max HR. Any faster and I really need to pick up my feet and at least jog.

R

Amazing week of activity this week. By the end of Sunday I will have walked 8KM, run 52KM and mountain biked for about 30KM during this week. Also done the usual pushups and chinups. Takes the edge off the guilt for the bottle of wine I drank by myself with dinner (not for dinner.. ha) on Tuesday night and the 4 rum&diet on Wednesday.

Koogie said:
Amazing week of activity this week. By the end of Sunday I will have walked 8KM, run 52KM and mountain biked for about 30KM during this week. Also done the usual pushups and chinups. Takes the edge off the guilt for the bottle of wine I drank by myself with dinner (not for dinner.. ha) on Tuesday night and the 4 rum&diet on Wednesday.

impressive! You deserve wine and booze after that.

Yesterday was my first calisthenics workout in over three weeks. It really, truly sucked. But I'll get better at it. Again. For about the 20th time after a few weeks off.

Surfing again this morning. That went much better. Maybe my body is trying to get me to take a hint.

Six weeks into P90X. I have only lost 4 pounds of my 10 pound goal so far but I am getting stronger and more flexible. Several people have asked if I am working out or lifting weights so it must be making me look more fit.

Still lifting between 16 and 17 tons on every MWF. I have added riding on my stationary bike on the other days of the week at about 14-15 mph.

Dang.. 3.5 weeks without posting on this thread.. The half marathon went okay but not great. It was raining/windy and I was fighting a head cold. Got a 5.5 minute PB but didn't achieve the level I trained to. Oh well, every day can't be the best. On the plus side, I did take most of last week off (1 trail run) and yesterday set a new PB for 10K without even trying.. so, I signed up for a 10K race in December... ha ha ha Can't say that I don't follow the path of least resistance...

The half marathon went okay but not great. It was raining/windy and I was fighting a head cold. Got a 5.5 minute PB
Hey... five and a half minutes to run a half marathon is pretty darn good, head cold an' all!

Actually made it to the gym twice on my recent cruise, for an "abridged" workout. And the best part of the cruise [-]well, except for the my bikini inspection duties[/-] was the early morning walk on the upper deck, watching the sunrise...

Still gained 3.5 lbs... :cool:

My regular workout: 400-500 pushups. Try to get them all done in 15 mins give or take. Add in a 3 to 4 minute static wall squat. (You know, back against the wall, make pretend you're sitting in an invisible chair.)

Today I tried a change-up I found on the web researching workouts. (Look for the name Pete Cerqua. I think that's his name) Only 7 pretty standard calisthenics type exercises but you take 90 seconds to complete 1 rep of each. I thought it would be easy but it wasn't. Especially the breathing part. I am monitoring for soreness tomorrow.

The only other exercises I do are lawn mowing, snow shoveling, walking when necessary.

Last edited:
Spouse and I have been back on the [-]treadmill[/-] elliptical for several weeks now, and except for one unfortunate incident at taekwondo we're building our strength up again.

I can finish my entire calisthenics workout without having to curl up in a fetal ball to whimper while getting my breathing back under control. I'm back up to my full sets of pushups and I'm raising the weight on the squats. "Raising" as in "up to 55 pounds", so maybe in a year I'll be up to 75. No reason to work my knees any harder than necessary.

I much prefer surfing in 6-8 foot waves to training taekwondo. You have to surf when the waves are up, but surfing big in the morning and doing taekwondo at night seem to be the worst for recovery time. I guess there are going to be days when I'll surf and just skip that day's taekwondo workout.

It's autumn in Hong Kong and the morning air is cool and breezy. Can't resist a morning run by the sea promenade. Woke at at 7 pm and went for a morning jog which ended as a brisk walk. Reached home at 8.15 am.

Wednesday-night taekwondo (forms and conditioning) went much better this week. No testosterone poisoning. Lots of hook kicks, which I enjoy because I can work on technique.

Thursday dawn patrol in lovely conditions. A long nap afterward, too.

Today's calisthenics workout was in 100% humidity with vog. We barely made it for 40 minutes of our usual 55 before calling it quits.

Wednesday-night taekwondo (forms and conditioning) went much better this week. No testosterone poisoning. Lots of hook kicks, which I enjoy because I can work on technique.

Thursday dawn patrol in lovely conditions. A long nap afterward, too.

Today's calisthenics workout was in 100% humidity with vog. We barely made it for 40 minutes of our usual 55 before calling it quits.

Glad to hear the taekwondo went well. Guess all is well. I knew it would be; you're really not very old and I think you have quite a few more good years left. :D :LOL:

Just same-o, same-o for me.

This is not necessarily an endorsement of the woman's taekwondo technique, but she credits it with saving her life from a shark attack.

So I guess taekwondo might be a pretty good cross-training discipline with water activities after all.

Shark Attacks: Hawaii Tourist Saved By Taekwondo Skills, California Surfer Not As Lucky

Note: It's hard to tell whether the shark was sniffing around or actually attacking. She might have just pissed it off. I suspect that when a shark is making a fully-committed attack run on a human, even Chuck Norris wouldn't have the skills or reflexes to detect the incoming incisors and throw the punch in time.

Other snarky commentary from a poster:
"I guess that takes care of two myths: that TKD is not good for self defense and that TKD practitioners cannot throw a punch..."

4 mile run yesterday...for some reason I was tuckered the rest of the day. A 4 miler usually doesn't whack me like that.

10 mile bike ride this morning, 2 mile walk @15min/mile after lunch. Feel much better today.

R

Back
Top Bottom