What was Your Workout Today?

I joined a gym yesterday with a trial membership from Groupon. I'd been doing chin-ups, push-ups, and dumbbells at home but not sure if I'm getting a well rounded workout. So I saw this Groupon deal and signed up - it's Koko FitClub which takes a different approach than the traditional gym. The trial membership should give me some idea if it's doing any more for me than my home exercise routine. But after the trail period, it would be $79/month for an annual membership so not sure if I'll go with that - seems a bit steep. But then again, I lack the discipline for doing a really good workout at home. :angel:

edit: This is the first time I've even been in a gym since college.

Last edited:
Ran 5 miles in just over 50 minutes. Then rode the bike about 8 miles in just over 30 minutes. This was at a Megacorp sponsored charity event. Megacorp supports youth charities, and donates money to these charities based on how many kilometers are run or ridden at such events. Usually, it is either a run or a ride, but I like to do both. The weather has been beautiful, cool, crisp, and with clear blue skies, and the runs and rides in the park these past few weeks have felt great.

R

A 5 mile schlep lugging a 7 pound weight (shotgun) in my hands. I have a nasty bicep bruise from not holding the thing right when I pulled the trigger. I think I may need new shoes, since my lower back is aching tonight.

What I can't get used to is the freaky weather. It was a nice day, but it was below freezing when I got there and 74F when I left.

Time to get ready for Ski Season! But patella tendonitis is interferring with my plans. I usually do plyometrics and high intensity cardio on the stationary bike and the elipitcal trainer. This year, I'm doing swimming to give my knee some rest.

11/20 workout - 2500yd swim - 60 minutes followed by 5 50yd sprints

11/21 - 1400yd swim - 30 minutes followed by 100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute. Plan was for 10 sprints. Only completed 3 due to upset stomach. Not ready yet.

Followed by 1 hr chest workout; bench press, incline bench press, incline flyes, regular flyes and assorted stretches.

11/22 - P90x Shoulders and Arms

I've been back to my usual routine-- surfing, taekwondo, vigorous yardwork, exercising with spouse in our converted storage shed (calisthenics). I do one of these per day, and it usually works out to 5-6 per week. Nothing worth commenting on.

By comparison, three years ago at this time I was working on the qualifiers for my black belt 2nd dan test: 100 pushups in two minutes, 100 situps in two minutes, and running two miles at a ridiculously slow pace. Of course because of that focus I wasn't doing much surfing or yardwork. I'm not taking the black belt test this year, so these days I can be more balanced in my exercise.

But last night was another one of those killer taekwondo workouts. This time I clamped down on my testosterone-poisoned competitive urges and quietly did what I could without pushing to extremes. However last night I slept for eight solid hours, something that I've only done a handful of times in the last decade-- usually when I'm sick. And, of course, I woke up because I was starving.

I can put forth the effort needed to get through the workouts, but I'm unwilling to pay the price of the recovery.

It's become clear to me (finally) that the dojang has moved on without me. My daughter (and most of our friends) are no longer there. I'm training with coaches who have succeeded at national and international levels, and their skill/experience has been brought home to elevate our program. The students are 90% teens (although there are two women in their 30s). Three of these teens-- 2nd & 3rd dan-- are at the phase where I'd cheerfully haul them out to the parking lot and throw them into the flood canal until they're mature enough to rejoin the human race. But they're just a symptom, not the cause. I'm generally grumpy on the afternoons before I go to taekwondo, and exhausted when I get home.

It's beginning to remind me of work. There are aspects which I tremendously enjoy, but there are more dissatisfiers than enjoyments.

I worry that I'll be unable to replicate the things I get from taekwondo-- speed, reflexes, and coordination. But it's time to figure out the alternatives, because the status quo is unsustainable. I haven't found another martial art that I care to try, although I still need to have that discussion with one of my instructors.

Overall it's been a good 8+ years, but I wish there was a better way to downshift. I'll gut this out for another month or so to see how I feel about this decision. My daughter and I will talk it over when she's home from college, but I think this holiday break will be our last TKD workouts together. Time to create new memories.

First decent swim workout since I started back swimming 2 weeks ago.

1500yd swim - 32 minutes followed by 100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute. 10 sprints! I did dial back the effort for the first 7. 1:40 effort for the swim. The last 3 were close to all out 1:30 effort.

Followed by 1.25 hr Back Workout. 3 different angles on the lat pulldowns and then rows. With assorted stretches and misc activities.

So far my ass has been on the couch today, but when we go over to the in-laws later today I will bringing my splitting axe with me.

Spent a couple of hours this morning helping my son-in-law "roto-rooter" the sewer line, followed by four hours of tree trimming - and I don't mean placing Christmas ornaments. I'm gonna sleep well tonight.

Quick two sets of chest press, shoulder press, lat pulldowns, and dead lifts before the next round of eating and drinking... :dance:

Nothing. The schools are out, the ice rink is a mob scene. Yesterday the Y was closed, today it was overrun with folks who took a day off from w*rk.

Return to regularly scheduled entertainment in workouts, jutsu and skating next week on Wednesday. Kayaking will resume in march of 2013.

So far my ass has been on the couch today, but when we go over to the in-laws later today I will bringing my splitting axe with me.
Have you considered mediation, or maybe tried talking out your differences over a homebrew or two?

Just kidding! I hope.

Spent a couple of hours this morning helping my son-in-law "roto-rooter" the sewer line, followed by four hours of tree trimming - and I don't mean placing Christmas ornaments. I'm gonna sleep well tonight.
Any confirmation of what caused the clog?

My gym finally relocated to its new facility which was supposed to open Sept 1, but was delayed due to building permit and slow contractor issues. Actually, my former gym combined with 2 other gyms to create this fantastic new one. Its a huge facility and is fully equipped with Free Motion machines, free weights, great cardio area and has a lot of strong man equipment (eg big tires to flip, farmers carry bars, etc). Since much of this equipment is new to me, its been a challenge to learn all the possible things you can do on these Free Motion machines. But as good as the Free Motion machines are, I'm still pretty much a free weight kind of guy.

Last night was leg night, and I arrived about 5:30 PM and there was only one other person working out at that time. However, it was really cool to meet that other person, as he is one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware. Since the Cowboys played Thanksgiving day, it appeared he was doing a relatively light recovery workout, but what a soft spoken and nice gentle giant.

As to my workout, after a 5 minute warm-up, I did squats, dead lifts, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf press and spent some time on the vibrator to wrap things up.

DFW_M5, your new gym sounds terrific! It's amazing who we can meet at the gym. New Orleans' best TV weatherman comes to my gym (without his toupee! :LOL:). I never approach him because he probably would rather just work out and go home. Also I saw a great chef there (and chefs are considered celebrities around here).

As for me, I am still lifting weights regularly every MWF at the gym. That's about all right now.

Last edited:
My double shot of espresso this morning worked its magic... a long slow swim.

4500 yards in 1:39:00. 18 blocks of 250yds in 5:30 minutes.

That was it and that was enough.

DFW_M5 said:
My gym finally relocated to its new facility which was supposed to open Sept 1, but was delayed due to building permit and slow contractor issues. Actually, my former gym combined with 2 other gyms to create this fantastic new one. Its a huge facility and is fully equipped with Free Motion machines, free weights, great cardio area and has a lot of strong man equipment (eg big tires to flip, farmers carry bars, etc). Since much of this equipment is new to me, its been a challenge to learn all the possible things you can do on these Free Motion machines. But as good as the Free Motion machines are, I'm still pretty much a free weight kind of guy.

Last night was leg night, and I arrived about 5:30 PM and there was only one other person working out at that time. However, it was really cool to meet that other person, as he is one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware. Since the Cowboys played Thanksgiving day, it appeared he was doing a relatively light recovery workout, but what a soft spoken and nice gentle giant.

As to my workout, after a 5 minute warm-up, I did squats, dead lifts, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf press and spent some time on the vibrator to wrap things up.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/full-body-exercise-plan#mobify-bubble

My hunting buddy and I went on a scouting trip to see where the deer are in the thousands of acres I will be hunting next month.

Its hard to tell how far we went, but I'd guess it was something like 7 or 8 miles (horizontal; probably had cumulative elevation gain/loss of 2 miles) over the course of 5 hours. I was lugging a 20 pound pack and a 7 pound rifle and was heavily dressed, so I am physically beat. My pal has not moved from the couch since we got home. Beautiful up there and I now know where the deer are. Since this was his first excursion with me, I was just loking at this as a hike. However, he did flush a rabbit (twice), so he clearly has promise if I ever have time to train him.

It will be the beagle's turn next and I will take her to a nice flat area on the plans where there are lots of rabbits to sniff.

Attachments

• 643966_4314197927135_1827613969_n.jpg
    643966_4314197927135_1827613969_n.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1
DFW_M5, your new gym sounds terrific! It's amazing who we can meet at the gym. New Orleans' best TV weatherman comes to my gym (without his toupee! :LOL:). I never approach him because he probably would rather just work out and go home. Also I saw a great chef there (and chefs are considered celebrities around here).

As for me, I am still lifting weights regularly every MWF at the gym. That's about all right now.

I'll bet your workout is enough to make him flip his wig:LOL:

I really like this kind of thing, we have several of those items shown on the video, but haven't seen a prowler yet. They keep adding things, so won't be surprised to see one of those show up soon.

Reactions: W2R
1500yd swim - 32 minutes (6x250@5:20 ) followed by 6x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.

Followed by .75 hr Everything else workout (not back, chest, arms, shoulders nor legs). Things like hip aductors, glutes, calf raises, reverse curls, wrist curls...

Belly broke below 34 inches this morning. Next stop 33 inches!

"Vigorous yardwork" pruning the lower branches on one of our mango trees and hauling them up the steps to stuff in the green waste can. Four 65-gallon cans later, we've made quota for Friday's green waste pickup.

I pruned the lower branches to get them away from a sprinkler. Now that I can see the sprinkler again, I'm probably going to have to replace the sprinkler and re-bury about 20 feet of PVC piping. I'm saving that workout for another week...

Lunch, 800 mg of ibuprofen, and a nap are on the cooldown schedule.

1500yd swim - 32 minutes, 10 minutes of rest, followed by 1500yd swim - 33 minutes

followed by

1 Hr chest workout.

Heart rate at the end (of the swim) was 126 bpm. One goal is to get that closer to 140.

1500yd swim - 33 minutes,

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 3 minute.

I believe I hit max heartrate on several of those latter sprints. So hard to measure a 170 heart rate with your finger. The recovery heart rate climbed from 120 to over 130... a good thing.

Swimming followed by 1 hr heavy back workout.

6 mile run in about 63 minutes, interrupted by a 5 minute telephone call that I slowed to a walk to take. Could have done it in under an hour without the interruption. Followed that with a 6 mile bike ride in 25 minutes. This was for megacorp's charity event, like last week. I set a goal of 100,000 kilometers for my Japan organization, run, walk, or ride. This equates to about 50 kilometers per employee. The walks or runs garner a larger donation per kilometer. So far this year, I've run 14 events for 88 kilometers, and cycled 12 events for 154 kilometers for this charity program.

Including the above, so far I have run 783 miles and cycled 285 miles this year. At the beginning of the year, I had targeted 1000 miles running, and 500 miles cycling. I anticipate finishing the year at about 830-850 miles running and maybe 325-350 on the bike. Last year I did 878 miles running, and didn't keep track of the bike. Next year (first year of retirement) maybe I can get a bit closer to my 1000 mile and 500 mile goals. This year I had a couple of setbacks/illnesses that were worse than I had anticipated when creating the goals.

I'm going to add swimming next year from about mid-May...if the pool is warm enough.

R

Day of rest on Wednesday always helps.

1500yd swim - 31 minutes,

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 2:45 minute.

followed by (a few hrs later) P90X - Shoulders and Arms - Heavy.

Back
Top Bottom