Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #321

Hiked 9 miles and was greeted by this guy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2489462738.jpg (776.0 KB, 6 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
One thing is for sure. With all the hurricane stress and not working out, all those aches and pains of aging are back with a vengeance! I feel like I'm 94 instead of 64. Looking forward to working out again.
Stress is a killer, as I am sure you are well aware. Try not to get too upset about the hurricane. At least it did not wipe out much of the city, and if some soggy carpet is the worst of it, you did well.

I run hot and cold with my exercise program. When I travel I struggle to maintain discipline and last week I was working through a cold that I brought back as a souvenir from my latest trip. Got back on the horse today with a 7 mile hike at between 9 and 10k of altitude lugging a 20 pound pack and a revolver. We climbed some big ass hills and I am beat, but it feels good to get some exercise.

I am getting to the point that a major motivation toward ER is to get out of the cube, with its forced lack of activity.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Does shopping at the Tuscaloosa, Alabama K-Mart with F count? .

Of course it counts. In lieu of the treadmill, I trudged through two malls today. I think a person can use up a lot of calories trudging. And, I was carrying bags of clothing in both hands, so even more calories were burned.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
DS is buying his first house, and I plan to give him my TuffStuff rack, bar and plates as I workout out almost exclusively at a local gym. I am thinking to replace the rack with a Concept2. How close to an actual rowing experience can you get with the Concept2 in terms of physical effort, cal burned rate and from a mechanical feel perspective?
Very close. All the universities use them, even for classifying their rowers as to power output. That is why it has been called the Erg since its introduction.

What is different is oar handling and the skills of balance and dealing with water conditions.

One of my sons bought another type about the same time I bought my C2 last fall. He has stopped using his, but I am nearing 2,000,000 meters on mine. It is not like being on the river or Lake. You are not enjoying the weather and sky and the unique aesthetic experience of being part of a crew on the water. But for an exercise machine, it is great, if you enjoy the rowing motion and rhythm. Upkeep is very simple. Once every six months I oik the chain, and every day when I finish rowing I clean the rail with Simple Green and a towel. That is all. Oh, and change the battery in the computer when it craps out. Fortunately there is some sort of backup power that keeps your distance record.

If you have a covered outdoor space, that can be more fun than indoors, and you do not get overheated.

Ha
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #325
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Got back on the horse today with a 7 mile hike at between 9 and 10k of altitude lugging a 20 pound pack and a revolver.
Harry, is that a Colt Python .44 mag?

Ha
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Harry, is that a Colt Python .44 mag?

Ha
Hah! Just a basic .22. Trying out lugging stuff around before deer season opens. Don't want to find out the pack or whatever is wrong when I am at 10k elevation in the middle of a blizzard.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #327

100 stair repeats this a.m.

5,900 upward steps, (I don't count the downward ones).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If you have a covered outdoor space, that can be more fun than indoors, and you do not get overheated.

Ha
Covered outdoor patio yes, but not fun when its 100 degrees+. I plan to order one of these C2s sometime soon, since I'd like to do more cardio work, but don't enjoy jogging.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hah! Just a basic .22. Trying out lugging stuff around before deer season opens. Don't want to find out the pack or whatever is wrong when I am at 10k elevation in the middle of a blizzard.
What deer rifle did you end up buying?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What deer rifle did you end up buying?
I wasd given a vintage Marlin 336 carbine in .35 Remington (dad bought it when he was 18) and I picked up a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum. Effective range of about 125 yards, but that is as far as I would try and both are pretty light and easy to handle.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

6 hour brew day with my BIL. This may not sound like a workout, but with a 10 gallon all grain batch it definitely is. I ache.

- Will Rogers
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #332
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most days I walk for 30 minutes, but I am holding back until the smoke is cleared. That will happen when the rains come. I need to add weights; shoveling rocks in my garden doesn't really get it. I admire you who have such healthy self-discipline!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #333
Moderator Emeritus

More vigorous yardwork. I've finally weedwhacked the entire backyard all the way to the fenceline.

The coconut palm was particularly messy. I probably haven't cleaned up around it in over a year. A bunch of branches had fallen and weeds had sprouted up through them. Even worse, a couple dozen coconuts were on the ground. One of them had even sprouted and had a two-foot shoot growing up through the pile. Luckily I cleaned everything out without encountering any centipedes or rats.

The next step is going outside the fenceline (down the hill toward the gulch) to clear out the last of the California grass. That'll let the belt of yellow oleander fill in (and choke out the grass) while also encouraging the bougainvillea to spread out and splash some more color across that hillside.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #334
Recycles dryer sheets

2hr Zumba class
Old 09-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #335

Nasty 5 KM tempo run at 0530, to beat the heat. I'm not really built to run that "fast" lol
Had a great 16KM run on Sunday morning. Actually cut 5.5 minutes off the time from the previous week, not sure at all why. Really seem to be back into the Yin/Yang of one good run/one crappy run. Rinse, repeat.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #336
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5

Covered outdoor patio yes, but not fun when its 100 degrees+. I plan to order one of these C2s sometime soon, since I'd like to do more cardio work, but don't enjoy jogging.
Ha lives in Seattle...

Been in Portland for the weekend. Hiked in Washington and Forest Parks yesterday. Loved it; did several miles. Hurting today...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Ha lives in Seattle...

Yes, I know he does and he knows I live in Texas
Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I know he does and he knows I live in Texas
True enough. I was thinking of winter, when the heat is on inside. Or just not thinking at all. I'm spending too much time at the beach with all those cute babes, my mind is shot.

Ha
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #339
Moderator Emeritus

Calisthenics.

Turns out that pushups hurt a little if your hands spent 90 minutes yesterday holding onto a two-stroke weedwhacker engine.

But the good news is that I finished the complete set in 35 minutes, almost five minutes faster than before. I moved through the pushup part faster instead of laying on the floor panting & whining.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #340

7KM steady pace run this morning. Nothing special but the funny this is when I got home, my time was exactly the same as last week, to the SECOND ! How likely is that. Especially considering I run like a penguin with one gimpy leg. Brings to mind the saying that consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.