Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5
My gym finally relocated to its new facility which was supposed to open Sept 1, but was delayed due to building permit and slow contractor issues. Actually, my former gym combined with 2 other gyms to create this fantastic new one. Its a huge facility and is fully equipped with Free Motion machines, free weights, great cardio area and has a lot of strong man equipment (eg big tires to flip, farmers carry bars, etc). Since much of this equipment is new to me, its been a challenge to learn all the possible things you can do on these Free Motion machines. But as good as the Free Motion machines are, I'm still pretty much a free weight kind of guy.

Last night was leg night, and I arrived about 5:30 PM and there was only one other person working out at that time. However, it was really cool to meet that other person, as he is one of my favorite Dallas Cowboys - Demarcus Ware. Since the Cowboys played Thanksgiving day, it appeared he was doing a relatively light recovery workout, but what a soft spoken and nice gentle giant.

As to my workout, after a 5 minute warm-up, I did squats, dead lifts, leg extensions, hamstring curls, calf press and spent some time on the vibrator to wrap things up.
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/fu...#mobify-bubble

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #442
Give me a forum ...

My hunting buddy and I went on a scouting trip to see where the deer are in the thousands of acres I will be hunting next month.

Its hard to tell how far we went, but I'd guess it was something like 7 or 8 miles (horizontal; probably had cumulative elevation gain/loss of 2 miles) over the course of 5 hours. I was lugging a 20 pound pack and a 7 pound rifle and was heavily dressed, so I am physically beat. My pal has not moved from the couch since we got home. Beautiful up there and I now know where the deer are. Since this was his first excursion with me, I was just loking at this as a hike. However, he did flush a rabbit (twice), so he clearly has promise if I ever have time to train him.

It will be the beagle's turn next and I will take her to a nice flat area on the plans where there are lots of rabbits to sniff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 643966_4314197927135_1827613969_n.jpg (63.3 KB, 1 views)

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #443
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
DFW_M5, your new gym sounds terrific! It's amazing who we can meet at the gym. New Orleans' best TV weatherman comes to my gym (without his toupee! ). I never approach him because he probably would rather just work out and go home. Also I saw a great chef there (and chefs are considered celebrities around here).

As for me, I am still lifting weights regularly every MWF at the gym. That's about all right now.
I'll bet your workout is enough to make him flip his wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I really like this kind of thing, we have several of those items shown on the video, but haven't seen a prowler yet. They keep adding things, so won't be surprised to see one of those show up soon.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #444
Recycles dryer sheets

1500yd swim - 32 minutes (6x250@5:20 ) followed by 6x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.

Followed by .75 hr Everything else workout (not back, chest, arms, shoulders nor legs). Things like hip aductors, glutes, calf raises, reverse curls, wrist curls...

Belly broke below 34 inches this morning. Next stop 33 inches!
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #445
Moderator Emeritus

"Vigorous yardwork" pruning the lower branches on one of our mango trees and hauling them up the steps to stuff in the green waste can. Four 65-gallon cans later, we've made quota for Friday's green waste pickup.

I pruned the lower branches to get them away from a sprinkler. Now that I can see the sprinkler again, I'm probably going to have to replace the sprinkler and re-bury about 20 feet of PVC piping. I'm saving that workout for another week...

Lunch, 800 mg of ibuprofen, and a nap are on the cooldown schedule.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #446
Give me a forum ...

Nineteen miles on the bike.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

1500yd swim - 32 minutes, 10 minutes of rest, followed by 1500yd swim - 33 minutes

followed by

1 Hr chest workout.

Heart rate at the end (of the swim) was 126 bpm. One goal is to get that closer to 140.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #448
Recycles dryer sheets

1500yd swim - 33 minutes,

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 3 minute.

I believe I hit max heartrate on several of those latter sprints. So hard to measure a 170 heart rate with your finger. The recovery heart rate climbed from 120 to over 130... a good thing.

Swimming followed by 1 hr heavy back workout.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #449

6 mile run in about 63 minutes, interrupted by a 5 minute telephone call that I slowed to a walk to take. Could have done it in under an hour without the interruption. Followed that with a 6 mile bike ride in 25 minutes. This was for megacorp's charity event, like last week. I set a goal of 100,000 kilometers for my Japan organization, run, walk, or ride. This equates to about 50 kilometers per employee. The walks or runs garner a larger donation per kilometer. So far this year, I've run 14 events for 88 kilometers, and cycled 12 events for 154 kilometers for this charity program.

Including the above, so far I have run 783 miles and cycled 285 miles this year. At the beginning of the year, I had targeted 1000 miles running, and 500 miles cycling. I anticipate finishing the year at about 830-850 miles running and maybe 325-350 on the bike. Last year I did 878 miles running, and didn't keep track of the bike. Next year (first year of retirement) maybe I can get a bit closer to my 1000 mile and 500 mile goals. This year I had a couple of setbacks/illnesses that were worse than I had anticipated when creating the goals.

I'm going to add swimming next year from about mid-May...if the pool is warm enough.

R
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #450
Recycles dryer sheets

Day of rest on Wednesday always helps.

1500yd swim - 31 minutes,

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 2:45 minute.

followed by (a few hrs later) P90X - Shoulders and Arms - Heavy.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #451
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Day of rest on Wednesday always helps.

1500yd swim - 31 minutes,

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 2:45 minute.

followed by (a few hrs later) P90X - Shoulders and Arms - Heavy.
Impressive. My day of rest (which is today) usually means light activity with no sweating or cardiovascular stuff. Today, I did some stretching and tai chi for 45 minutes. Then, lots of shopping and walking round town.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #452
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is my rest day! no work out.

6 days a week I run in the Ellipticals for 3 miles, about 30+ min, at level 7 to 10 resistance, which according to the machine is about 3300 to 3400 ft climb up hill.
Then I walk another 10 to 15 min at 3.2 mph. to cool down.

I combined that with Weight training with "Nautilus" about ten machines with diff. push, pull, crunches etc about 3 x a week.

So I am in the gym 6 days a week. I give myself a day to heal up.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #453
Give me a forum ...

Fri - bench press, lat pulldowns, dead lifts
Sat - walk two miles
Sun - bike 19 miles
Mon - chest press, lats, shoulder press 5x5
Tue - rest
Wed - walk/run mile, seated leg press, seated leg curls 5x5
Thu - repeat of Mon
Fri - 12oz curls

Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #454
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't have the goods today.

500yd swim - 10 minutes (Too Fast ) followed by 1000yd Kickboard (alternating 100yd of Breast and Freestyle) followed by 3x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.

Followed by 45 minutes of Misc workout stuff.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #455
Give me a forum ...

Twelve ounce curls, or, in this case, sixteen ounce...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2668103598.jpg (489.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 12-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #456

3 mile run with some of my young colleagues/staff, followed by 16 miles on the bike. I was tuckered afterwards. This was our last big charity event for the season.

R
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #457
Recycles dryer sheets

Revenge swim!...

6000yds in 2:09:00 (4x1500@33:00)
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #458
Give me a forum ...

A five hour hike on the plains today. It was the beagle's turn. The pic was pretty much my view all day.

We saw almost no animal life. I saw a brief flicker of a squirrel's tail, a bunny at a far distance, a few songbirds, and the biggest hawk I think I have ever seen. Normally I would see dozens of squirrels and likely several rabbits. I now know the location of probably hundreds of active rabbit holes courtesy of Miss Floppy Ears. I am tired now and puppy girl is pretty much not moving ((she was sound asleep in the truck on the way back).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45347_4347937570605_384516562_n.jpg (63.4 KB, 7 views)

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

250yd swim - warmup

followed by 10x100yd sprints on the 3:00 minute.
followed by 700yd Kickboard (freestyle and breast stroke)
followed by 45 min chest workout - long
Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #460
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ran in a 10k (6.2mi. for the metrically challenged) race today. 1 minute slower than my personal best but a solid effort as it was crowded and pouring rain. The puddles were huge and required a lot of detours.