What was Your Workout Today?

Yesterday hiked a local trail with the mutt. Roughly 5 miles in length. About a month ago I started incorporating a little jogging along the way to get the heart pumping and have been surprised how my stamina has increased over such a short period of time. I run maybe 1/4 of each mile so getting in a little over a mile of jogging total. My goal is to eventually get up to 2 miles of jogging and walk the rest the trail.

So far my knees and ankles are holding up. Hope my will power does too.

2.5k run uphill, then back down, total 5km. Then 20 min cool down walk. Wish I had time for a run before tomorrow's 9hr drive.

R

Have been laid up with a cold lately, but got out today. I don't know how many miles the beagle and I covered today, but I would guess somewhere between 6 and 10. We checked out a couple new areas of river bottom along the Platte and if it weren't 8F when we were roaming there I suspect that in the one new spot I would have seen many squirrels (counted at least 20 nests in trees across the street from a cornfield). We then went to the old reliable spot and brought home one limb chicken and one rabbit. It was pretty and neat to check out new places, but the temp never got over 22F and there was constant 10MPH wind (plus lugging winter clothing, insulated boots, heavy Russian shotgun and assorted hunting and survival gear). I am beat.

1,000 years of breeding in a nutshell: I showed the beagle the squirrel and it got sniffed with what I would describe as "polite interest." I picked up the rabbit and showed her and she tried to rip it out of my hand. I carried it to the truck at shoulder height and she was making hysterical leaps at the critter, coming away with a mouthful of fur a couple of times. If all your ancestors for a zillion generations are bred to hunt rabbits, I guess that is your reaction to finally seeing one up close.

Ran 5k in 26:29 - a personal best. I started running 4 weeks ago. Training for a race next month. This was only the 2nd time I ran 5k without stopping (I'm doing the Couch to 5K training plan, sort of).

Ran 5k in 26:29 - a personal best. I started running 4 weeks ago. Training for a race next month. This was only the 2nd time I ran 5k without stopping (I'm doing the Couch to 5K training plan, sort of).

I haven't run in years and am no expert, but I would say thats a pretty darn good time for only 4 weeks training. Great job!

I haven't run in years and am no expert, but I would say thats a pretty darn good time for only 4 weeks training. Great job!

+1. I was never a runner until I started picking it up just under 5 years ago. First week I couldn't run 100 yards. Fourth was still less than a kilometer. It took me a few months to get to 5k. And, my best time is still 27 minutes and a few seconds...that was when I was out running a charity event with a bunch of my twenty-something colleagues who had been running a lot longer than me. These days, I've notched the effort back a little and a normal 5k run for me comes in at a minute or two over 30, and a really fast day will see me at 29 min. So, I applaud your accomplishment.

R

My gym recently added a new larger prowler sled (with four skids vs the typical three) which I hadn't used until yesterday. They had a smaller one that made me bend down too low, so I only tried that once about a month ago with one 45 lb plate on it.

It was leg day, so I thought I 'd begin to incorporate some prowler work with the new sled into my routine. The sled had three 45 lb plates, which really wasn't that hard to move. However, I pushed (sprinted) it back and forth for maybe 50 yds in total and boy was I sucking wind. Really made the heart rate go up, so I see this as a very good HIT type of exercise. I will gradually add more weight and laps and suspect this will provide some good benefits in the New Year. It certainly gives me a good appreciation of the stamina exhibited by offensive and defensive football lineman.

My prior calf injury was pretty much gone, until I did my last exercise of the day which was weighted step ups, and on the second set felt another twinge, so I stopped at that point. I hope this doesn't become a long term issue, as I really want to push myself harder in 2013.

Last edited:
Working on my six-pact since it's my rare day off from my two jobs. And learning from FIREd forums how they got there and how I can apply to my own FIRe (little is since I won't be able to retire as Early as I wanted) Plan.
6pack_Duff_Beer.jpg

Ran 3+ followed by a 1 mile walk. Heard of a local kayak/bike/run triathlon coming in Sept, so I'm training for that. I need to get a kayak.

Timeeasterday, That's a great run for just starting out !

Ronstar, Keep us updated on your progress I am training for a triathlon too.. Goal is a sprint by June and a half Ironman by Sept.

For me I run at least 3 miles every day now so I won't bore everyone with a daily post but now that I am retired I will be adding swimming and more biking to that.

Back to my usual routine at the gym, that is, using 20 weight machines and lifting a total of 13.1 tons today.

Last edited:
I think I might have pushed it too hard with that fast run last Saturday. The entire weekend my right leg was hurting on the inside of the shin bone, just below the bottom of the calf muscle (about 4" up from the ankle bone). Last week I started incorporating hills into my runs, after only running the flat parts of the neighborhood. I guess this is a type of shin splints? Never had pain in that region, and it's fairly localized to a small area. Additionally I get random pains in the muscle along the outside of the lower leg bone. These pains come and go in just a second or two and occur just a few times an hour (not a constant pain).

I ran 5k again on New Year's Day but much slower. My leg ached a little the entire time and I avoided any hills. I am skipping today's run and will try again Saturday. Today it feels much better, only hurting a little on stairs.

My gym recently added a new larger prowler sled (with four skids vs the typical three) which I hadn't used until yesterday. They had a smaller one that made me bend down too low, so I only tried that once about a month ago with one 45 lb plate on it.

It was leg day, so I thought I 'd begin to incorporate some prowler work with the new sled into my routine. The sled had three 45 lb plates, which really wasn't that hard to move. However, I pushed (sprinted) it back and forth for maybe 50 yds in total and boy was I sucking wind. Really made the heart rate go up, so I see this as a very good HIT type of exercise. I will gradually add more weight and laps and suspect this will provide some good benefits in the New Year. It certainly gives me a good appreciation of the stamina exhibited by offensive and defensive football lineman.

My prior calf injury was pretty much gone, until I did my last exercise of the day which was weighted step ups, and on the second set felt another twinge, so I stopped at that point. I hope this doesn't become a long term issue, as I really want to push myself harder in 2013.

Fascinating! My gym doesn't have a prowler sled, so I had no idea of what one is. I found this on youtube, which shows a prowler sled in use inside a gym:

Prowler Sled Day! - YouTube

It looks like a great workout but I can see how this might be tough with your prior calf injury. It is probably really hard on the feet, too.

Timeeasterday, That's a great run for just starting out !

Ronstar, Keep us updated on your progress I am training for a triathlon too.. Goal is a sprint by June and a half Ironman by Sept.

For me I run at least 3 miles every day now so I won't bore everyone with a daily post but now that I am retired I will be adding swimming and more biking to that.

Good luck on your triathlon training. I'm starting off with running 4 days a week and 3 days of weights, then start biking in late March and kayaking in late April.

Last edited:
Nothing yet, besides getting up and scratching a few strategic places.

On the good news side, kiddies are back in school, in about ten minutes I am off for two hours of figure skating. Nice to heve the daytime rink back to the usual 2 or three adults.

It looks like a great workout but I can see how this might be tough with your prior calf injury. It is probably really hard on the feet, too.

It is a great workout and I didn't really feel any impact on my calf. The sled in our gym is a bit larger and has 4 skids vs the 3 on the sled in the video, and you can pull the handles and reverse them for going back in the other direction. That guy in the video did not have much leg/hip power as he was pushing the sled way too slow. Don't mean to brag, but I suspect I could have gone up and back with it faster than it took him to go one length of the gym.

The other night, one of our trainers had a football as they train a lot of HS athletes, so got to throw that around with him. Brings back memories and was really fun. Sometimes I think I've still got it:LOL:.

It is a great workout and I didn't really feel any impact on my calf. The sled in our gym is a bit larger and has 4 skids vs the 3 on the sled in the video, and you can pull the handles and reverse them for going back in the other direction. That guy in the video did not have much leg/hip power as he was pushing the sled way too slow. Don't mean to brag, but I suspect I could have gone up and back with it faster than it took him to go one length of the gym.

The other night, one of our trainers had a football as they train a lot of HS athletes, so got to throw that around with him. Brings back memories and was really fun. Sometimes I think I've still got it:LOL:.

Uh oh! :LOL:

As for me, I know I don't still have it! :D But hey, it's the journey that counts, not the destination, as they say. In other words, I enjoy working out at whatever level seems about right, even if it is not as much as I could do in my youth.

Today's workout: 13.7 tons, and afterwards a pitifully brief time on the treadmill.

Uh oh! :LOL:

As for me, I know I don't still have it! :D But hey, it's the journey that counts, not the destination, as they say. In other words, I enjoy working out at whatever level seems about right, even if it is not as much as I could do in my youth.

Today's workout: 13.7 tons, and afterwards a pitifully brief time on the treadmill.

Hey, you are pretty awesome in my book, and I suspect you never lost it.

As for me, I keep telling myself that delusions of grandeur in old age is not necessarily a bad thing:D

Reactions: W2R
To start off the new year, I biked 16 miles on Saturday and 12 miles on Sunday; goal is 1300 miles in 2013.

Yesterday was upper body day: 5x5x3 (chest press, lat pulldown, shoulder press). Today is happy hour... :cool:

Training .. Training .. Training Great to be retired ! The past 8 days in a row have logged 2 miles a day freestyle in the pool, 15 miles a day on the bike, and 3+ miles a day running.. I wake up energized and ready every morning .. loving this retirement thing !

Lifted 14.3 tons on my usual weight machines, listed in post #51 of this thread. :dance:

Last edited:
I took a 5-day holiday and did not work out at all during those days. Although I missed my exercise routine, I noticed I had no body aches or felt no fatigue or muscle strains which sometimes I experience after consecutive days of exercise. Now I am thinking maybe I should have 2 rest days instead of 1 rest day in my weekly exercise routine. Anyone has lessened their exercise routine instead of increasing it and felt that the change brings more benefits?

I took a 5-day holiday and did not work out at all during those days. Although I missed my exercise routine, I noticed I had no body aches or felt no fatigue or muscle strains which sometimes I experience after consecutive days of exercise. Now I am thinking maybe I should have 2 rest days instead of 1 rest day in my weekly exercise routine. Anyone has lessened their exercise routine instead of increasing it and felt that the change brings more benefits?

In my opinion, its good to take a week off every 3-4 months if you work out regularly. As to how many days to workout each week vs rest days, I think this boils down to listening to your body and doing some experimentation. The recovery needed is an individual thing. I've been working out 3X week for a long time, but this is mostly a function of limited time as I'm still working. Once I retire, I am interested to try an every other day or even a 5 day workout schedule, but no way to know whether that will be good or bad till I give it a go. I ususally think 4-6 weeks is a good period of time to evaluate a new routine, unless it becomes obvious sooner that its too much to handle.

Oh, wait. It's not work out one week and take 3 to 4 months off? D'oh!

I'll bet there are some of our members that have a schedule like that, or even work out month of January and then take rest of year off:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom