What was Your Workout Today?

Brewed 10 gallons of beer in 15F weather and in between brewing tasks I split and stacked about a quarter of a cord of firewood. I am tired.

Ran 5k today in this ridiculously warm weather. My last 1k split was my fastest ever - 5 minutes. Got my first 5k race coming up next Saturday. Fighting a little tendonitis in my right ankle but it's manageable. Going to layoff running for a while after the race and hopefully the tendonitis improves.

I walked 6 miles today. The weather was wonderful in central Florida - 81 degrees. My right foot was cramping like crazy when i finished. My goal is to walk 800 miles before the end of 2013. I've already completed 38 miles.

My Ski Season has finally arrived. Skiing about 20 thousand vertical feet a day, 2-3 times a week... weather cooperating.

Today would be a great day to ski with all the new snow. But, it is -12 on the mountain this morning... so I will stay home until it warms up in a few days.

I'm just now heading out for a planned 4 mile run. This morning I split and stacked about a quarter cord of firewood, taking advantage of a break in the cold weather we've been seeing for the past week.

This year's goals: 1200km each running, walking, and cycling. I will make a swim goal as soon as we open the pool in May or so. My strength training will focus on chores around the house: pick-axe, shoveling, carrying lumber, etc.

R

Last edited:
Have gone to health club 4 days in a row. Never did that before. Today worked with 12 machines (2 sets of 12 reps on each machine) concentrating on upper body. 2 sessions on treadmill (fast walk burning 525 calories) and 75 abb crunches.

Afterwards, weighed in and have not lost any weight!:mad: Guess I'll have to start monitoring my intake (food) a lot better.

Monday 14.6 tons; today 15.0 tons.

Slowly but surely I am getting back to where I should be.:dance: Did an extra long stretching/warmup today, to help with the increasing weights.

Walked two miles, ran three, mixed a yard of humus and a yard of topsoil one wheelbarrow at a time to backfill 4 holes I dug with the backhoe. These were big holes. Then I planted cherry trees for DW in said holes. Digging with the backhoe took 10 minutes, mixing the humus and topsoil 2.5 hours. Planting the trees took about a minute each once the planting holes were fully prepped. I was so sore last night I couldn't sleep.

R

Since I have been winding down toward retiring in April, I am consuming my vacation by taking Friday's off and have started to go the gym on Friday morning. Normally, I go at night. I am also finding the scenary is much better in the morning as there are plently of young ladies working out to keep an old guy motivated. Ha Ha would love this place. Today was chest and back day and some sled/heavy bag work.

This morning, also got to see Josh Hamilton, another sports luminary that works out at my gym. He is working on agility, core, getting out of the box faster and some strength. I will be sorry to see him in an Angels uniform. Next week, I understand that several Cowboys will be starting their workouts at the gym, Sean Lee, Jay Ratliff, and ex-Cowboy Terrance Newman. We have some of the best trainers anywhere, so its no surprise that many top athletes come to this facility.

Walked 1 km on Satans Sidewalk this morning, followed by 3 km run @11kph and another 1 km walk cooldown. Then walked to work and back (5 km). Little bit nasty as it was -11deg. C outside this morning. Sure that burned off a calorie or two more than usual.

I can't believe your guilty of that:(
I am not a gym type person. Never have been. I can't sit still that long, and the smell of sweat grosses me out. :LOL:
FYI...I have tendinitis in both hands, and some lingering soft tissue issues in my neck and back from being in front of a computer for 25+ years. Playing sports and using gym equipment are a guaranteed recipe for further damage. Sustained repetitive motions are my Waterloo. :nonono:

I get moderate exercise around the house...cranking the tunes and dancing in the living room for aerobic exercise, playing virtual ping pong on my PS3 when my back is ok, going up and down the stairs for laundry. I'm always moving around doing something, such as playing with my plants or re-organizing a room.
My frequent volunteer w*rk is my real w*rkout. I often spend up to 5 hours at that, cooking, cleaning up the kitchen, bussing tables, etc.
So I stay in good tone and have good strength. :D

I was pretty active before ER but I have increased my exercise time by ~100% since then. Weekends are about the same but I'm doing a lot more on the weekdays now. So far so good. I was concerned with injuries but I have noticed that I'm more willing to defer something if I'm not feeling "right" now that I know that I will have plenty of time to do what I want the next day whereas when I was working I would often just push through it. I think that some of my chronic injuries are actually a little better now.

This is the the log for the past 7 days. I have also been playing doubles tennis and touch football in the park with the "old guys" from my gym occassionaly but I missed them this week.

Sat: 6 x 400 meter run repeats on the track, total w/warmup and down of 5 miles.
Sun: 40 mile road bike ride
Mon, AM: 5 mile scooter to gym, TRX class, Pilates class, 30 minutes shooting hoop, scooter home
PM: Master’s Swim Workout (usually 2200 to 2500 yards)
Tues, AM: 2 mile threshold run, total of 4 miles.
PM: Yoga class, Pilates class
Wed, AM: 5 mile bike to gym, Yoga class, Bootcamp class, ride home
PM: Masters’s Swim Workout
Thurs: 16 x 100 meter run repeats on track, sprint the straights and walk the curves, 4 miles total.
Fri: Masters’ Swim Workout, TRX class, Pilates class, 30 minutes shooting hoop.

Last edited:
I am not a gym type person. Never have been. I can't sit still that long, and the smell of sweat grosses me out. :LOL:
FYI...I have tendinitis in both hands, and some lingering soft tissue issues in my neck and back from being in front of a computer for 25+ years. Playing sports and using gym equipment are a guaranteed recipe for further damage. Sustained repetitive motions are my Waterloo. :nonono:

I get moderate exercise around the house...cranking the tunes and dancing in the living room for aerobic exercise, playing virtual ping pong on my PS3 when my back is ok, going up and down the stairs for laundry. I'm always moving around doing something, such as playing with my plants or re-organizing a room.
My frequent volunteer w*rk is my real w*rkout. I often spend up to 5 hours at that, cooking, cleaning up the kitchen, bussing tables, etc.
So I stay in good tone and have good strength. :D

Those repetitive stress and old sports injuries are tough to deal with, but based on what your doing, you are probably in better shape and have more energy than me.

Tweaked the workout again. Now running 3 times a week, 3 miles followed by 1 mile walk. Cant wait until the new treadmill comes in. the old one sounds like its going to explode. Also 3 dumbbell workouts a week with 45 minute walks. Not really a weight person, but I like the dumbbell workout. Waiting until spring to branch out to biking/hiking.

Those repetitive stress and old sports injuries are tough to deal with, but based on what your doing, you are probably in better shape and have more energy than me.
Not really in better shape than folks who use the gym. I have the utmost respect for all the members here who do some serious w*rkouts and exercise.
I envy you.
I applaud you. :D
I simply substitute levels of activity that fit within my current physical abilities. When my hands and feel good, I do more FUN exercise to advance my strength or increase my metabolic rate.
FUN being the keyword here. :dance:

For example, after a warm-up of several Up & Down the Stairs for Laundry trips, dance to the Twist (or song with similar beat) in your living room sometime. Do that twice. Whew! You'll be dripping with sweat and feel energized. Repeat a few more times a day, dancing however you want to.

Don't overdo it!

If I had to rate my fitness level, I would say it was "Extra Good" on a scale that consists of Terrible-Minimal-Good-Extra Good-Excellent. ;)

The regular exercisers get the Excellent spot.

And yes, I am a high energy person naturally. It's why I drink decaf. :LOL:

Last edited:
Ran my first 5K race today. Finished 2nd in my age group and 17th overall with a time of 26:42. It was a tough track - even the experienced runners were saying how hard this one is. I know the track well since I do a lot of motorsports photography there. The hills are bad enough when I am walking around with 20 lbs of camera equipment, and they tried to kill me today. My wife ran her first 10K there today and was the 2nd overall female with a 54:42 time.

Here's the start of the 5K:
8395575039_21791ecf2a_c.jpg

There's me in the middle (#7):
8395574663_0bc0a9899e_c.jpg

My award:
8395574201_88b3ed95fa_c.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a nice trophy timesterday, great job. That must have been a hoot running at Road Atlanta, I have never heard of running events at car race circuits, but it seems like a very nice venue for a running event.

In the field 20 minutes after sunrise on a fantastic sunny day. Lugging a rifle (sometimes a shotgun) and a few pounds of gear I walked Gawd only knows how many miles in two areas. Finished about 4PM to clean my catch. I am beat and I was off my game today (missed multiple shots - quite a feat with a shotgun, was clumsy stalking my prey, etc.), but there is something about being out all day in a cloudless sky as the temp hits 60F that cures all ills in January.

Also saw something I have never seen before. As I was clumsily stalking a couple of squirrels, they decided it was time to split when I was about 20 yards away. There were no nearby trees they could scoot to, so they both leaped from about 30 feet up straight to the ground. When they landed it sounded like someone dropped a sack of flour on a concrete floor, but they took off running like it was nothing. If they were human-sized, every squirrel would be superman.

I got a mountain bike for Christmas and have been riding it half an hour to an hour almost every day in addition to the P90X. The P90X is getting easier. I can now do all of the plyometrics without hitting the pause button. I have lost 15 pounds and my body fat is down to 15%.

I got a mountain bike for Christmas and have been riding it half an hour to an hour almost every day in addition to the P90X. The P90X is getting easier. I can now do all of the plyometrics without hitting the pause button. I have lost 15 pounds and my body fat is down to 15%.

Congrats on the weight loss! I start P90X today and am looking forward to it. I just finished RevAbs and it was OK but I am looking for something more challenging. I am trying not to lose weight, gain some muscle, and drop some body fat. I'm 15% body fat right now, we'll see how P90X goes.

Was feeling unwell the last two days and felt better today. Needed to get some body movement after sleeping for so many hours. Took things easier and went for a 2-mile walk followed by a one hour Pilate class.

Back
Top Bottom