What was Your Workout Today?

Today I did my regular 19 weight machines and took T-Al's suggestion to add a 20th to my list (see below). The new machine is the Cybex seated row, because I decided it uses sufficiently different muscles from the Nautilus compound row machine.

Overall I had a wonderful workout. Probably we all have days when amazingly we feel stronger, more energetic, and more enthusiastic, and for me today was this kind of day. I averaged 79.5 pounds per machine, which came to a total of 20*20*79.5/2000 = 15.9 tons. I am going to be SO sore on Sunday..... :D But hey, it felt good today. It may not be much compared to what a lot of others here do, but I feel great.

My MWF workout routine begins with 5-10 minutes of stretches at the gym's stretching station.
Then I complete 2 sets of 10 reps on each of the following weight machines:

1. Keiser triceps pushdown
2. Keiser biaxial chest press
3. Keiser upper back machine
4. [-]Keiser[/-] Cybex back extension machine
5. Nautilus compound row
6. Nautilus lateral pull down
7. Nautilus chest press
8. Nautilus abdominal machine
9. Nautilus arm curl
10. Nautilus triceps extension
11. Cybex leg extension
12. Cybex leg curl
13. Cybex calf rotator
14. Cybex hip abductor
15. Cybex hip adductor
16. Cybex abdominal machine
17. Cybex arm extension
18. Cybex fly
19. Cybex overhead press
20. Cybex seated row machine

Last edited:
Since it rained all day, my workout was operating this keyboard to finally finish and file my income tax returns. Did about 150 returns for other folks, finally got to do mine.

Back to the Friday/Sunday/Tuesday routine-- 30 minutes of pullups, situps, lunges, squats, and pushups followed by about 10 minutes on the elliptical.

How many slices and does it have bacon on it?:D
I've learned that I enjoy the pizza more if I limit it to two slices. With Costco's chocolate/vanilla swirl frozen yogurt.

We buy veggie pizza, but I'm considering wrapping the ibuprofen in bacon...

20 minutes of high intensity cuddling with Mr B ;)
Moved my container tomatoes back outside now that the high wind threat is past
Made coffee
Catching up on email (finger exercise)

Planned: I offered to help 2 guy friends plant hundreds of tomatoes, peppers, and onions. I will be the plant and bulb courier while they dig the holes and plant. They sell their produce directly to local mom-n-pop stores.

Last edited:
Yesterday 45 minutes incline walk on treadmill due to weather followed by 6 hours of hoeing/weeding planting beds. I stopped running for awhile to give my knees a rest - now doing weights Mon, Thurs and bike or hike the other 5 days.

Early yesterday I just returned from my 5k run, when I received a call for a search and rescue in the wilderness behind the homestead. So after 3 hours and about 9 miles of bushwhacking with temperatures around 100, the missing person was located. My core temperature was pretty high the rest of the day, even though I stayed hydrated the whole time. 1/2 a cup of java to go and I am off on my morning run. Cheerio.

No workout today, unless "vigorous weeding" counts as a workout.

So after 3 hours and about 9 miles of bushwhacking with temperatures around 100, the missing person was located.
... alive?

No workout today, unless "vigorous weeding" counts as a workout.

Sure, why not. I'd also like to report "vigorous grocery shopping" as my daily workout today. :D

What was really cool is that I am not (yet) sore at all from yesterday's overly vigorous workout on the weight machines. I know it's coming! :LOL:

What was really cool is that I am not (yet) sore at all from yesterday's overly vigorous workout on the weight machines. I know it's coming! :LOL:

I think I get most sore 2-3 days after a workout. Right now I'm very sore from Thursday's surfing, and tomorrow I will be sore from that AND Friday's bowflex workout.

I think I get most sore 2-3 days after a workout.
This may be apocryphal or at best anecdotal, but I've read that it's a slower recovery time.

It can be helped by a high-protein snack after exercising, and by stretching the next morning.

A couple doses of ibuprofen can help too.

Among my spouse and taekwondo and surfing, I have 5-6 daily workouts in a row. If I was sore for 2-3 days after each one then I'd be in a full-body cast by the end of the week.

Did the exact same workout today as I did on Friday (post #51), 15.9 tons again.

I finally did get sore from Friday's workout - - last night, believe it or not. :blush: Between that and way too much spicy food, I hardly slept and didn't really feel like working out at all today. So, I'm pleased as punch that I did it and didn't have to use lower weights. :dance: It was hot, hot, hot today, even in the gym, and everyone was complaining about it. Plan for the night is to continue to rehydrate.

I love that I can work out like this. I know that as we grow older, it may become more difficult. My theory is that if I keep doing it regularly, I'll still be lifting a decent amount in 10-20 years despite growing older. There's a guy at the gym who is still lifting substantial weights at 82. OK, just one guy, but it can be done. The other guys his age lift but maybe 1/3 as much weight.

Last edited:
I think I get most sore 2-3 days after a workout. Right now I'm very sore from Thursday's surfing, and tomorrow I will be sore from that AND Friday's bowflex workout.

It's now four days since my surfing, and my shoulders are still very sore. But it was a difficult session (fighting the entire Pacific), and one of the first of the season.

Today it is raining, so I might have to use the rowing machine!

There's a guy at the gym who is still lifting substantial weights at 82. OK, just one guy, but it can be done. The other guys his age lift but maybe 1/3 as much weight.
My daughter sees her university's septuagenarian & octogenarian professors pumping serious iron all the time at her campus gym.

She thought it was pretty cool until I suggested that they were just hanging out there hoping to pick up hot chicks...

My daughter sees her university's septuagenarian & octogenarian professors pumping serious iron all the time at her campus gym.

She thought it was pretty cool until I suggested that they were just hanging out there hoping to pick up hot chicks...

Gee Nord that just what us old lechers need guys like you spoiling our secrets.

My fitness instructor has been on an interval training kick after coming back from a American society of sports medicine conference. It is 3 to 4 sets of 20 seconds at super high intensity work with a 10 second break between sets and then a 2-3 minute rest period.

There was NY Times article posting a while ago on the benefits, and I can say it way tougher than a traditional 45 sec-1 minutes sets.

One of my classmate came up with a great acronym to describe our instructor's new enthusiasm. After Seminar Syndrome A.S.S.

This may be apocryphal or at best anecdotal, but I've read that it's a slower recovery time.

It can be helped by a high-protein snack after exercising, and by stretching the next morning.

A couple doses of ibuprofen can help too.

Among my spouse and taekwondo and surfing, I have 5-6 daily workouts in a row. If I was sore for 2-3 days after each one then I'd be in a full-body cast by the end of the week.

Agree that DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) may be helped by consuming a protein shake right after working out, supposedly should be taken within 30 minutes of concluding workout. I do think it helps me, but who knows whether this is psychological bro science or fact. I have also heard mixing in some BCAAs in the post workout recovery shake helps as well. I lift pretty heavy for my age and don't really feel all that much soreness the next day or two.

As to us old geezers hoping to pickup hot chicks by pumping big iron:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yesterday moved a few tons of rocks. The stream at my camp overflowed after some really heavy and long heavenly deluge. Replaced the washout with rocks from the other side.

Today some "hair of the dog", went to the Y for my usual Tuesday workout, and added some high speed punching exercises with 8 lb dumbbells.

10K run this morning, along a route with a lot of rolling hills. First time it hasn't rained in days. Then rode my bike to work. Hope it doesn't start raining before I head home !

Did my standard Bowflex, stretching, and planks today.

It's been a year since I eliminated crunches from my routines. There's certainly a lot of controversy, but since my daily crunches didn't prevent a back strain, and (according to some experts) may have contributed to it, I've gone to planks and side planks. I sure don't know what's right, but the planks really seem to make a difference in the feeling of strength in my core.

Side bridge = side planks: side abdominal muscles, lower back, shoulders, arms and balance - YouTube

How To: Plank - YouTube

I joined a gym on friday and did my first(short)workout. I will have 1 free training session on monday then i'm on my own. I will plan to do a full body workout MWF. I also picked up some supplements to help with calories and protein so I can hopefully gain weight faster. My starting point is 157.5lbs and 7.5% body fat. At 6'6" I can gain 30 pounds and still be very thin so I have a long way to go. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom