What was Your Workout Today?

Getting Ready to go running on my 10 mile loop. I love the warm moist air of the South East. So nice on my lungs. I also went walking with the DW last night to watch the meteor showers. We are not retired yet, but we are just practicing.

For years, I used the elliptical as a 5 minute warm-up before doing my lifting and it did get the blood flowing. For a change of pace, I am now on the treadmill, doing a 3.5 MPH walk for 2.5 minutes and then a 6.5 MPH jog for 2.5 minutes.

When I want to get a little more fat burning, I put the treadmill on a 21 degree incline, and walk at 3 mph for 20-30 minutes.

That is terrific! Presently I am doing 8-10 minutes on the elliptical and I plan to increase as soon as that begins to feel trivial. Right now, it still doesn't feel even a little bit trivial. :D I am mostly doing it for cardio health I guess (although fat burning would be a welcome and unexpected bonus). Also I kind of want to prove to myself that I can do something that I am not naturally good at and thought I couldn't do.

Eventually I may get bored with it and if/when that happens, I have my eye on that good old Concept2 rower which I have done and enjoyed in the past. The elliptical or rower are just meant to spice up (not replace) my lifting workout.

The elliptical is my favorite machine. It never occured to me until someone pointed it out that you can reverse leg direction and get at a whole different set of muscles.

I think legs are the most important piece of a workout. Without them, how would you play the steel? ;)

I would reverse leg direction to get at that different set of muscles, but before I do that I need to get used to working the first set of muscles! :2funny: Good idea for later on, though.

Among the 20 machines I use in my weight lifting routine, I include the leg extension, leg curl, calf rotator, hip adductor, hip abductor, and complex row machines, all of which involve my legs to some extent. The cardio aspects of the elliptical are especially challenging for me.

Last edited:
On the weekends I come in an hour earlier than the customer's opening time to let the AC be cooling the building. I walk a 20 minute mile everyday, in the AC and on the clock. Six trips, going around the edge of every room is 17 yards shy of a mile. That includes going down a wheelchair ramp and back up four feet of steps in the Ballroom, and up and down two feet of steps in the lobby. If I'm feeling good I will go ahead and do 3 more laps, to make it a mile and a half. On week nights I walk after the last customer leaves.

We have a bike, stair stepper, eazy-lift and gazell at home, but I find it hard to stick with them. Getting paid to walk makes it easier to do everyday.

Last edited:
Recently purchased a bike so have now added that to my exercise routine. (avid walker/hiker/snowshoer) Unfortunately a few days ago I was diagnosed with a torn annular disc (L4/5 region) so the biking isn't progressing like I had hoped. Only managed 7 miles today and only a 2 mile hike yesterday. Hubby keeps reminding me that slow and steady wins the race. Will find out next week how serious the back injury is this time. ugh

Today ran 5k and back weight workout. Alternating days of run/bike with weights 5 days a week, one body part per day.

Its mountain biking season over here in Salt Lake city. I am riding the Little Cottonwood creek trail nearly every day. The goal is simply to get to the top as fast as possible.

The trail is 3.3 miles long and climbs about 1300 vertical feet.

This season started about 4 weeks ago and my first ride was about 48 minutes. (historically, this was a great start).

Today's ride was 36 minutes... and yes, the lungs were busted and the legs were burning! Average heart rate is 151 and max is 168.

Tomorrow's ride will be a long ride (up and down twice). Well, maybe...

Got my rides in. Deliberately slower to keep my heart rate as low as possible.

Trip #1 up was 48 minutes with Avg HR of 139.
Trip #2 up was 53 minutes with Avg HR of 133.

A normal week is:

35 minutes of elliptical with target of 575 calories burned (7 km) 2-3x/week
2-3 hrs tennis (mostly doubles) 3x/week
30-40 minute walk with dog 3x/week

I find that the elliptical machine is the only repetitive machine that doesn't bother my knees.

Walked 5 miles and biked 3 so far today. Hubby and I will probably bike another 5 or so tonight.

Good news! Went to see the Ortho today about the torn ACL and meniscus. He said that it is possible from the MRI that I may have a minor tear in the ACL, and that the meniscus injury seems no more than normal wear and tear for someone my age...no surgery needed, with the caveat that eventually I will probably need to have it scoped and cleaned up a bit. I told him that I had taken about two months off from running, and had started back slowly, back up to about 10-12 miles a week now. He thought that was great, but advised that I don't get too serious about running, and try to run every other day instead of every day, and to bike or walk or something else on the off days. So, I'll probably ramp up to about 15 miles per week over the next several weeks, and then leave it pretty much at that. I guess my 25 +/- mile weeks are probably done...we'll see how I feel after a few weeks.

So far this week: an 8 mile bike ride and a 3.5 mile run, with a lot of dragging the float and roller over the 7200 sq ft lawn development in my front yard, and walking the pooch.

R

Every MWF at the gym I am still riding the elliptical for 10 minutes and then lifting 17 tons, give or take 1/2 ton. On 2-3 other days per week I ride my stationary bike at home for 30-60 minutes.

I am pleased that for more than a month I have been able to add at least a little cardio on a regular basis to my long term weight lifting routine (which I love and much prefer).

I bought some wireless RF earphones to wear at home while watching the TV on my stationary bike. Tuning out the rest of the world makes it lots more fun, and the sound is better.

Last edited:
Yesterday's workout...

Spirited, fat-burning hike out of the Grand Canyon in 4 hours and 5 minutes. 7.5 miles and 4500 vertical feet with a 20 pound back pack.

Only did the hike out as this was part of a fantastic 3-day white water rafting trip with Grand Canyon White Water rafting co.

Two hours of figure skating.

Yesterday's workout...

Spirited, fat-burning hike out of the Grand Canyon in 4 hours and 5 minutes. 7.5 miles and 4500 vertical feet with a 20 pound back pack.

Only did the hike out as this was part of a fantastic 3-day white water rafting trip with Grand Canyon White Water rafting co.

Great hike!

Hike out of the Grand Canyon is one of the toughest workouts I ever had. And we only went from the rim to plateau point and back to the rim. it was fantastic.

I plan on amping up my hiking now that I quit running again due to injuries. But I have been lifting weights 6 days a week.

75 45# kettlebell swings and 12 20# turkish get ups. I work out so when the time comes for grand canyon hikes, I'll be able to do 'em!

I bought some wireless RF earphones to wear at home while watching the TV on my stationary bike. Tuning out the rest of the world makes it lots more fun, and the sound is better.
I like riding my bike, using a single earphone, usually listening to NPR. One earphone, because ya don't wanna miss what's going on around you. Problem is, the earphone wire... a nuisance. so why not a bluetooth earphone? Seems to me that would b a natural, not just for bikers, but for anyone who either works or plays in a non demanding or rote situation/job.
A dongle for a radio or MP3 player... to make a single earphone viable. A radio or MP3 Player transmitter... not a Phone.

Ha!... except for a few cheapies, this doesn't appear to exist.

A radio or MP3 Player transmitter... not a Phone.

12 mile bike ride on a hot humid day.....second day in row. First six is generally uphill, cruise home. Try to do it as often as weather and my dad duties allow.

20 years ago it would have been a 12 mile training run to keep in shape for marathons. But a knee with too many years and miles, plus chronic Achilles tendonitis, it's mostly biking now a days.

I don't count the half hour walking the dog in the morning and again in the evening as part of the daily workout, more of a chore that needs to get done and try to get one of the boys to do it as often as I can.

How long have you been skating? I used to skate.
Started three years ago.

First 4 months spent mostly falling down. Last two years have been mostly enjoyable, Ar times I overdo it and my muscles and tendons remind me I am past 60.

I have been told by several instructors that I am graceful, they keep trying to get me to do shows. Even though I have never taken a lesson, What I do is modified many Ju-Jutsu forms and katas to work on ice skates. Can't get any volunteers in full hockey gear to take falls:) Thus it is mostly shadow fighting.

I do decline always. Explain that I am just playing. Prepping for a show is a dirty four letter word. W*rk!

Re: Bestwife's comment. It is a full body involvement, all muscles are constantly in play for balance especially during curves and spirals. Proper pushing technique adds to the leg muscle loads. I don't do jumps. Maybe when I am 70 I'll try the simpler ones, like the Waltz jump, Can't rush these things:cool:

Me too--but at least they would be diminishing assets thanks to all the calories we would be burning up!

Ok, you have the idea. Now go for it :)

Actually, skating does give you nice assets, and legs.

Back
Top Bottom