Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #141
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksols View Post
I've always been a 15-18 mile per week runner when I worked. I've been retired 1 month and find its hard to get in a decent distance or run because I sleep so late now and it's already too hot (80 and 70% humidity) after my cup of coffee. I got in 19 last week, but thats not happening with the forecast for this week. I always dreamed of upping the mileage to 30-35 when I retired...maybe this fall?
Still looking for that normal routine...how long did it take you to find a routine after ER?
I agree with Lsbcal - - it took longer than a month for me to settle into an ER routine, anyway. I think it was about a year after my retirement before we settled into a regular MWF afternoon gym routine. The first year we were trying different ideas for exercise until we found a routine that seems to work for us.

I am sure you will figure out an exercise routine that can fit into your schedule (or, a schedule that will fit your exercise routine) soon. With the weather as hot as it has been, maybe that will involve getting up early, maybe you can find someplace to run on an indoor track, or, more likely you will come up with some better ideas that will work for you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Still looking for that normal routine...how long did it take you to find a routine after ER?
You have 168 hours per week all to yourself. Why would you want to develop a routine?

I was seriously chronically fatigued for the first couple months of ER-- sleeping in all the way to 6 AM or even 7 AM, taking two-hour naps, and going to bed at 9 PM. I kept up with my workouts and after about three months I was back to my current sleep schedule.

But this is your chance to decide how you want to spend your own time. Most retirees start out by overscheduling, which quickly forces them to cut back to what's really important to them.

So maybe you could develop a new routine this week. Go to bed early, get yourself time-shifted around, and start running while it's still cool. You could nap during the middle of the day.

When the summer cools off, you could try a different routine of staying up later and getting up later.

Here are about the only things we regard as "routine" at Hale Nords:
Awake somewhere between 3 AM and 5 AM. (Spouse sleeps in until ~7.)
Nap sometime during the day for 30-90 minutes.
Bedtime somewhere around 8:30-9:30 PM.
Taekwondo every Mon/Wed night (my favorite black-belt classes, although I could train every day of the week if I took other classes).
Calisthenics at home every Sun/Tue/Fri (spouse likes this schedule).
Surfing on Thur & Sat, maybe Mon & Wed too.
Costco pizza on Wed or Thur.
Hide from the crowds on weekends.

Beyond that we pick a chore from the To-Do list or work on a project for 20 minutes a day. Maybe one in the morning and one in the afternoon, or maybe just one. No sense in getting all hypercompetitive about it...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I felt so good on the rowing machine yesterday, I was thinking Woo hoo! I don't need to worry about my knees anymore! But this morning they were popping and growling at me! Actually, they didn't complain for very long, but it was a reminder to stay gradual. Steady on!

I think all the lunges and squats from my "Total Body Sculpt" workouts are helping strengthen the stabilizing muscles around my knees and so my knees are less vulnerable with the rowing and in general.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #144
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Why would you want to develop a routine?
So maybe you could develop a new routine this week. Go to bed early, get yourself time-shifted around, and start running while it's still cool. You could nap during the middle of the day
The problem with that advice is...that was my life the past 30+ years (except nap) I couldn't wait for retirement to NOT go to bed early so I can get up early!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #145
Administrator

Quote:
The problem with that advice is...that was my life the past 30+ years (except nap) I couldn't wait for retirement to NOT go to bed early so I can get up early!
I can relate to that! I was sleeping really late for the first 2.5 years, and really, really needed that. Eventually I decided I missed the mornings and started setting an alarm. But now it is MY decision to get up earlier, and that makes all the difference.

Meanwhile, it just takes a little while to figure out a routine that will fit into your presently desired schedule. You can do this.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

50 min Spinning class + 60 min Cuban Fusion Dance
Old 06-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #147
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I'm going to bring a bit of variation to my exercise routine next week. Whilst I enjoy jogging in the gym, outdoors and once a week in the pool (since I don't know how to swim), am starting my first swimming lesson next week. It would be fun to finally learn how to swim before I reach 52 years old in a few months!
My swimming instructor overslept! I was already in the pool when I was informed. So, just did my usual water exercise today. Swimming lessons postponed to next week.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

This is one of those weeks where you have to be careful not to lose your routine.

Mon night was taekwondo, no problem. Tue spouse had a doctor's appointment so we blew off the calisthenics. I made up for that this morning with two hours of "vigorous yardwork". Luckily taekwondo was cancelled tonight so that the instructors and competitors can travel to the national tournament. So tomorrow (Thu) we'll do more "vigorous yardwork" at the rental property, and then on Friday we'll be back on our calisthenics workout schedule.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Missed my midweek workout so tried to combine that with my typical Saturday leg work (Elliptical/Squat/Row/DL/BP/Leg Ext/Leg Curl/Crunches).

Usually my workouts last about an hour, but this went probably 15 -20 minutes longer and made me a little more worn out than ususal. It may not be good strategy trying to combine like this

The gym owner told me this morning he is combining his gym with two others and will be moving to a much bigger space in the Fall (also closer to my house with a less congested parking lot), and will have all new equipment. Machines will be FreeMotion. I am not familiar with that company, anyone have any experience with the FreeMotion machines? At least the free weights will remain, which is mostly what I use.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #150
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Missed my midweek workout so tried to combine that with my typical Saturday leg work (Elliptical/Squat/Row/DL/BP/Leg Ext/Leg Curl/Crunches).

Usually my workouts last about an hour, but this went probably 15 -20 minutes longer and made me a little more worn out than ususal. It may not be good strategy trying to combine like this
I had to miss my Wednesday workout too. Friday's workout was a bear. I was extremely tired for some reason for a couple of days and so cut back temporarily, just to play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5
The gym owner told me this morning he is combining his gym with two others and will be moving to a much bigger space in the Fall (also closer to my house with a less congested parking lot), and will have all new equipment. Machines will be FreeMotion. I am not familiar with that company, anyone have any experience with the FreeMotion machines? At least the free weights will remain, which is mostly what I use.
That sounds wonderful - - having the gym closer, with more room and a bigger parking lot sounds really, really good. I do not think I am familiar with FreeMotion machines; most weight machines at my gym are Cybex, Nautilus, or Keiser. Cardio machines at my gym are many brands but the majority are Precor. My gym got some new seated elliptical machines earlier this year which are probably a different brand; I have no idea. But anyway they are very popular and pretty cool, I must admit. I rode one yesterday for a while.

On a completely unrelated topic I had a routine appointment with my doctor and asked him if my weight lifting was a problem due to my high blood pressure (not to mention overweight and so on). He said that in my case, he thought it would help more than harm. Whew! I'm so glad because I really like lifting weights.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Machines will be FreeMotion. I am not familiar with that company, anyone have any experience with the FreeMotion machines? At least the free weights will remain, which is mostly what I use.
I use Freemotion Machines. (My current gym has them)I think they should be fine for you. The idea is to allow greater choice in ROM, angle of motion, etc. I mostly use the "Lift" which allows a good approximation of deadlifts, but I think safer.

FreeMotion Lift

Ha
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
On a completely unrelated topic I had a routine appointment with my doctor and asked him if my weight lifting was a problem due to my high blood pressure (not to mention overweight and so on). He said that in my case, he thought it would help more than harm. Whew! I'm so glad because I really like lifting weights.
I am in the same boat with the HBP and a bit overweight, but have not really discussed the weight lifting with my Dr. Glad to hear he gave you a thumbs up, cause I am hooked and would not want to give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have used Freemotion Macnines. (My current gym has them)I think they should be fine for you. The idea is to allow greater choice in ROM, angle of motion, etc.

Ha
Thats what the gym owner told me as well; that the machines provide good range of motion which makes them a bit more like free weights.

Despite having a home gym, I still get a lot of enjoyment going to my local gym. I like the atmosphere, and enjoy conversing with the members and trainers. Maybe I can be a part time trainer when I retire for the over 60 crowd
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #153
Moderator Emeritus

Calisthenics on Friday, surfing today. More calisthenics tomorrow.

I can feel my pushup muscles hardening up already...

Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #154

Today? Pushed a shopping cart all over Costco's. DW was in the market for a new TV for her bathroom. The TV's are displayed just as you get in the door, picked out a nice 24" Samsung, but I was mistaken that we were finished shopping. An hour later we were just getting in the checkout line. My exercise for the day.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
DW was in the market for a new TV for her bathroom.
My goodness, how long is the waiting list for that bathroom?

And do we really want to know what happened to the old TV?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today? Pushed a shopping cart all over Costco's. DW was in the market for a new TV for her bathroom. ...
TV in the bathroom, that would be something new to me.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #157

Quote:
An hour later we were just getting in the checkout line. My exercise for the day.
Johnnie, An hour of that and I'd be good for a week both mentally and physically
Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #158

We recently started supplementing our usual 2, ( 30-40 minutes each), daily workout sessions, (me on the elliptical and my bride on the NordicTrack ski machine), with a little stair walking.

Close by to where we live is a flight of wooden stairs comprised of 59 treads......we go early in the morning......this a.m. I did 30 repeats, (1770 upward steps....I alternate each repeat by taking two steps at a time on one climb, and one at a time on the next), my lady a little less....(young people, what can I say, she won't be 60 until October, while I hit 70 in September.......bone-on-bone knee osteoarthritis an' all).

We're feeling pretty good.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #159

Ahhhh, July 1 = new month and therefore turning the page of my countdown to ER. I'm planning to do a Triathlon Sept 1 so I did a "brick" today, despite the heat/humidity here in NJ. Cycled 9+ moles followed by 4 mile run.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
We recently started supplementing our usual 2, ( 30-40 minutes each), daily workout sessions, (me on the elliptical and my bride on the NordicTrack ski machine), with a little stair walking.

Close by to where we live is a flight of wooden stairs comprised of 59 treads......we go early in the morning......this a.m. I did 30 repeats, (1770 upward steps....I alternate each repeat by taking two steps at a time on one climb, and one at a time on the next), my lady a little less....(young people, what can I say, she won't be 60 until October, while I hit 70 in September.......bone-on-bone knee osteoarthritis an' all).

We're feeling pretty good.
Today I did it 43 times.......look at that SWEAT!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote